Notices

Day One ~ Have a Headache

Old 11-02-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One ~ Have a Headache

Hi Everyone,

Been thinking about doing this and reading about it for several weeks. Had a bottle of wine last night, same as most nights, and enjoyed all of it, same as I always do.

But I know it is taking a toll on me. I'm usually tired and headachy. What used to be a glass of wine to "decompress" at the end of the day has become 4 - 5 glasses. My blood pressure is now high and I know the alcohol contributes to it.

Most of my days are long and hard. In the evenings I still have so much to do, but I'm fatigued and I know that I'll get a little lift from the wine so I can keep on going. Unfortunately, it now takes a lot more wine to get that "lift" than it used to.

Any thoughts on how to deal with the "witching" hour and keep the resolve not to drink when you're tired and stressed?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jackie; glad you found us.

Wine was my poison, too; it is hard to walk away from it but it CAN be done.

I remember all too well that witching hour. Are you able to change your routine? Would you be able to go to the gym or for a walk when you get home in order to burn off some stress? Could you come home and take a warm aromatic bath or spend some time reading?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep yourself busy for the first week definitely. For cravings, I used cranberry juice (sugarfree) and diet 7up. I alternated between that and tea. Use mediation music, aromatherapy, deep breaths. Hang out here for help to talk through cravings. I'm on day 8. If I can do it, so can you.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Jackie - it's so good to meet you.

I posted & read a lot here in the early days of quitting. I agree that distraction is key. You will learn to rise above the temptations & it gets easier as you go along. I think you've made a great decision - be proud of yourself.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wine was my thing too, I'm only on my 3rd week, but ive made sure i dont get hungry, keeping my sugar levels up is vital to avoid that sluggish feeling which i used to squash with vino!!!! Reading a good book or just having a lovely relaxing bath has seemed to help
Old 11-02-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jackie nice to meet you
Old 11-02-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also drink wine and like you the amount has gradually increased. I used to drink about 2 thirds of a bottle, then it became a full bottle. Now on a week night i can do a bottle and half easily and if I push the boat out on a weekend I could stretch to between 2 -3 bottles. This is a progressive disease. Your never suddenly going to go back to being happy with one glass there's no rewind button. I'm not sure about the witching hour, keeping busy and finding other things you enjoy is my only advice right now xx
Old 11-02-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jackie

Some great advice here already - posting here for a while, especially during your witching hour, can help a great deal I think

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2015-a.html

D

Have you checked out the Class of November support thread yet?

D
Old 11-03-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the tips. Fizzy drinks like 7 up and club soda are helping. I'm very tired, though, today. Don't seem to be able to sleep as well without my little wine buzz.

Hoping to sleep better tonight. I know myself well enough to know that my will power tanks when I'm fatiqued. Wish me luck and thanks again!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jackie!!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Buy some lavender essential oil. I use that to sleep at night.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The sleep thing is a problem for a couple weeks, usually. It's just uncomfortable, it won't hurt you. Don't let your addiction talk you into using in order to sleep.

This will pass. You'll get back to regular sleep in time. Hang on through the discomfort, that's all it is.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

try Valerian tea for sleep - it smells like feet but it always works for me.