Notices

a sober weekend

Old 11-02-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a sober weekend

Whats it like to have a sober weekend? The thought nearly scares me. I am a terrible binge drinker. With a dysfunctional on/off switch. I dont even think of alcohol during the week but as soon as Friday hits that's what I am busy doing for the weekend. And now I have the typical Monday hangover and a terrible bar tab.

I dont remember my last sober weekend. I dont remember any activities that alcohol wasn't involved. I want to learn who I really am. I want to have new hobbies, do new activities with my fiance. I dont want to be babysitted anymore, I dont want to continually fork out huge amounts of money every weekend for drunk shenanigans.

I am done with it. One weekend at a time. I hope.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome. You can have that sober weekend. You've found a great place to get started on that.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This past weekend was my first weekend without alcohol. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty tough. I drank a lot of tea and cranberry juice. And I kept myself busy and away from the people that drink. I am now one whole week without alcohol and that is HUGE for me. I too am a binger (mostly weekends). You can do this. Just fill up your time with something and come here if you need to talk through a craving.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome casey!

I wasn't a binge drinker but can sure relate to how you feel. For me, taking alcohol off the table gave me a sense of freedom. I was tired of the shenanigans as well , and became a person, I didn't recognize.

Support made all the difference for me and SR provided that. Find any and all methods of sobriety that can help you succeed.

You can do this!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A forum like this is very encouraging I must say. Being around others who are going through the same things and having the same thoughts. None of my friends or family or people I socialize with have this problem. If they do its very well hidden. Where as my problem is no longer hidden. By the time my body feels good and normal again mid week I am thinking about all the stupid stuff I am going to do the next weekend.

Its not till recently I realized I have a binge drinking problem. I dont know what took me so long to see it. Few months ago I was out of town for a concert for a couple days and I'd start in the morning when I woke up, did it all day, and just laugh about it. Monday came, and I wouldn't touch it again... see, no problem right? I managed to pull off Halloween without drinking and staying in, and it was WEIRD. But Friday night I was going to go out for a beer and ended up having a lot. Than yesterday during football I needed "just a six pack for the game". Well, that six pack was gone instantly. Just need another one, and another one. Game over and I am at the bar with friends and still drinking tall ones. I think I made up for missing it on Saturday.

I realize my switch is broken and instead of thinking I can tone it down I just need to leave the switch off. Today Is when I realized I dont remember ever having a sober weekend. And it saddens me. What could have I accomplished on my days off of work?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like me last Monday. . You can do this. Just set yourself a goal. Mine was one week. And I've decided to go another week.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Casey youl find so much support here
Old 11-02-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am reading through everyone elses stories on here to find encouragement Its really scary to think about. Health wise, already being diabetic, I need to give it up. Thats motivation to accept that. Financially it sucks to look at my transactions and see I could be driving a brand new luxery vehicle for what I spend on alcohol in a month. I am going to add up all my bar transactions and circle the number and use that as motivation as well.

I've said a hundred times I was going to give it up, and this is the most serious I have ever been. My fiance has offered to help me and keep me motivated but of course I failed every time once the weekend rolled around again.

I've been on this forum before but never signed up. Now I have
Old 11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Happy to hear you are starting to think about all the time you could be spending doing other things than drinking. I'm also a binge drinker and started realizing I had to make big changes a few years ago. I've gone back and forth with total abstinence and moderation. Obviously, moderation has not worked for me, as it usually doesn't for most people who feel the need to address a drinking problem. My "just a six pack" would usually end up much like yours did yesterday

Although I'm only a little over a week without drinking this time, I haven't been drinking with any regularity for quite a while, just slip ups here and there. And I gotta say, although it can be quite an adjustment period, I LOVE not drinking on the weekends. I get so much done and feel so healthy! I manage to clean and work out and visit friends and go places and then I actually remember it all!

One thing that helps me is to remember to treat myself. If you're not going to the bar, you're probably saving yourself a bit of money. Set some of what you're saving aside and go out to dinner or go somewhere you've been meaning to. Or start a little savings account and save up for something really special! And as you said, get to know yourself. What do you actually like doing once you remove alcohol from the equation? And, a little harder to come to terms with, who do you ACTUALLY enjoy spending time with when alcohol is removed?

I hope you are able to prepare yourself for the upcoming weekend! Make a fun, weekend to-do list, especially for the evening! And there is nothing wrong with hiding out a bit for the first few weeks (or months) if that means keeping you sober. Just lay low, relax and enjoy the time and money you are saving
Old 11-02-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know it's hard! I had a sober weekend as I did not get called into work. I actively avoided the liquor store as well and kept myself busy. I felt mostly depressed but I'm just under a week sober - My face and skin already look and feel better! it's crazy how quickly your body wants to recover. I'm proud of you for making a HUGE effort and step for wanting to go the weekend without alcohol. it is SO hard when you've become used to the habit. Lots of love to you.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Casey. I like your determination & desire to have a better life.

I never wanted to admit I had no control. Even though I knew I didn't drink like others, I kept trying to manage it. After all, it had once been so much fun. In the end though, it became a necessity. The weekend binging & trying to sober up became so painful that my drinking spilled over into the rest of the week. In the end, my lack of control turned into complete dependence. It was very difficult to turn things around by then. I'm glad you're taking a look at what this weekend partying is doing to your life. We're here to help.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the continued support. I am ready for Friday to get here and check it off

I will be making a list of things to do this weekend. There is so much that I haven't accomplished around the house, my fiance and I bought a new home a year ago and there's so many little projects I haven't gotten too. You know, next weekend. Next weekend. Next Weekend. And I never did it. Its time to check them off. I shouldn't have any problem staying busy... its without booze that is the problem.

Lately my drinking has gotten very very bad. My fiance makes remarks that she doesnt know if I am going to be nice or angry when we go out. And she's correct. I am ashamed of myself for outbursts i've had, things being thrown and broken.

We were in Vegas a few weeks ago and I didnt bother gambling, I just drank all day and night the whole time we were there. Lately I've been able to add mornings to drinking on vacations and weekends and just 'let it roll' all day. Things are getting worse and I need to stop it before they do.

Last weekend I was out for a bachelor party and found out a old acquaintance has been sober for a year. I didnt even know. He didnt seem any different and was still just as fun. I need to be that guy!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Its sad to think that my last beer was a Bud Light. Assuming I can hold it together. I recently got into craft beers and breweries and tours and such. Well, I picked up my habit with Bud Light and I am going to finish it with Bud Light
Old 11-02-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Casey27

I didn't know what a sober weekend was til I had one, then two...then three.

you're right - you have a week - make the best most watertight foolproof plan you have for next weekend

have you read this link?
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

It's a great one for devising a plan to suit your personal needs

D
Old 11-02-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, casey.

Dee's link is great.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree, I plan on reviewing it tonight.

Got home this evening and started preparing dinner and I thought a beer would be great while getting the grill going.

I went on to prepare a few days worth of meals. Keep myself busy. I also realized how many habits I've formed with beer. More than I ever realized.

I didn't think this addiction was a day by day. I mean, I didn't have to drink every day. I was a binger. Well, I realized pretty quickly how wrong I was, again.

Day 1 is almost done. I got some more things to do to keep my busy for the evening.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Good job. All you have to do is make it until need time. And chest on bed time if you have to
Old 11-03-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You can do this Casey! I admire your courage! I am a binger too but an every day binger. I was where you are 11 days ago, the people on this forum are amazing, tons of support and strong advice here!
Old 11-03-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Good job. All you have to do is make it until need time. And chest on bed time if you have to
I went to bed a bit earlier last night. Got a lot of rest! I was able to wake up earlier than normal and get some things done before work. That was a great feeling.

Just keeping myself busy.