Notices

Flirting with poison

Old 11-01-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Flirting with poison

I made my weekly trip to do the grocery shopping. Somehow, I let myself walk down the wine aisle and flirt with the bottles. I'm not sure why I did this. For a few moments I actually walked through a plan to buy and drink only two glasses. I even considered buying the small box wine that has exactly three servings. A sensible portion for an evening compared to my old ways. Then I considered how I could buy five of those and just have one per evening for the next week. The only thing standing in my way of buying those was my choice. I had a struggle with my inner wine lover for another minute or so but my sober and sound mind won.

I touched the packaging, took a long deep breath and walked away.

Day 26
Old 11-01-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Flirting with disaster...stay out of harm's way.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Making concessions. That's what I do in my head... oh, but just this once...oh, but it's on sale... I'm a procrastinator, always putting things off. The worst quality when you're trying to kick a bad habit. Great on you for not giving in!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Flirting with disaster...stay out of harm's way.
Yeah. DaisyBee, don't even go there! Work on staying away from those aisles and thoughts or they will come true.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through that.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I try to avoid the wine isle whenever possible....I just don't have any business being there.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm doing my very best. It's not easy making such a major change after so many years of habitual drinking. It can be done.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Daisy, good save.

Those three serving wine cartons you describe used to be my go to. Single serving for me, of course...

I avoided the wine aisle altogether for well over 6 months. Ain't no shame in that.

One day I was in an unfamiliar store, took a turn and ended up smack dab in the wine aisle. I sweated a little. But realized I really didn't want that crap. Now I don't go to the wine aisle not because I'm afraid, but because there's nothing there for me.

You'll get there. Good job!
Old 11-01-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you didn't buy it! I don't even walk down that aisle.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The repercussions are not worth the brain altering buzz.

We here are now educated. 176 days ago, I was not.

We have the knowledge to deal w the cravings.

SR is like AA, on steroids.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stupid AV. At least I'm smart enough to remember that I could never only have one of those mini boxes with three servings. I would have two of the boxes and feel proud because I didn't actually drink two full bottles of wine. Oh the games and tricks I used to play just to keep the red poison flowing.

I'm curious if I'm experiencing this now right on the eve of approaching 30 days as some twisted attempt to self sabotage. Luckily, I'm sober and can analyze my thoughts in a meaningful way.

I'm sticking to my mantra of "do anything but drink" and "you've got this".
Old 11-01-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you shut your AV down, DaisyBee.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your right it isn't easy but you just proved it can be done I hope lots of ppl see this thread today as it will give them hope

Your right it isn't easy but you just done it great job

Ps I still stay away from the alcohol isle nothing there for me it will get easier
Old 11-02-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We don't have wine isles in our stores......you have to make a special stop at the state liquor store for that. I haven't been in one of those stores in at least a year or two.......but I have been to the beer isle many times.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Post Truth be told

I miss my old liquor store pals. They were so eager to share their knowledge about every beverage. I just said today I'd like [insert whatever] and they'd get so excited to hook me up. They welcomed me into the place like an old friend. There was rarely anyone else there when I'd walk in, so no anxieties just blissful anticipation. I am really ashamed that these memories are so beautiful in my mind still. Everyone wanted me around, it seemed.

I just wanted to be wanted. But really I ended up not caring about any of the people I used with and I felt worse and worse about them and me hating everyone because the disgust with myself would come out. I wonder if they ever really liked to see me? In my skewed vision of the past who knows? I remember that self-seething and now, I want to make healthy friends. The steps help lead me to forgiveness, but every bottle of every kind reminds me of how dead I get inside when I try to replace friendship with the[vice]---> the zombie I had become. It took so much work to tell the truth, finally. Maybe that is why I dread Halloween, I wore a mask every day and now I don't want to anymore. It used to be so fun??

Guess it wasn't the partiers I miss after all. I really didn't know them, or let them know me. Those bottles remind me of what I am really looking for. Someone to like me in an unaltered state. So today, I'll splurge on my favorite decaf tea and start with liking myself. Who knows, maybe, I'll be brave enough to have a conversation with a real person. Or maybe I'll just sit and enjoy being sane for today, with my tea...right out in public!
Old 11-02-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBee View Post

I touched the packaging, took a long deep breath and walked away.

Day 26
Interesting?
I haven't done that in sobriety.
Don't think it's best to hang out there? ?
Congratulations with your 26 days.
Mountainmanbob
Old 11-02-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In my local shop you have to queue in the alcohol aisle. I'm used to it now and I just stare straight ahead, if I have to go to that store.

But yeah, if you don't need to be in the wine aisle, don't be there, at least in the early days
Old 11-02-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to think the same thing with the little 4-packs of wine bottles... enough to last me 4 days... Oh, how the AV lies. Great job on walking away.