Notices

Anyone in their twenties?

Old 11-01-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone in their twenties?

Hey all. Everyone on here seems so supportive and friendly, so I'm by no means saying I don't want to speak to a certain group -- I want to talk with everyone! I just wondered if there might also be some members in their 20s? It would be nice to make contact with some people at possibly the same point in their life as well.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm 33 in my head I'm 29
Old 11-01-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I am 35... I guess that makes me an old fart.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

There are others in their 20's here. I'm 57, the real old fart, but I never grew up until now.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Twenty was 44 yrs ago, but my heart is still young.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

40 years old. I Deffo think having people your own age group can help in terms of common situations etc - I know that age impacted my recovery- it shouldn't I Always think but it did - I'd been heroin addict for 3+ years was turning 40 Jan 15, the idea of waking up 40 years old a heroin addict and the first thing I do as 40 is smoke H - that age was a really strong motivation the idea of not starting my 40s using and I used that motivation to finally stop.

Do you have an idea of what you think your 30s will/should/could be like ?
Old 11-01-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I don't quit now? A very, very depressing one. Lost friendships, work affected, health too....It scares me to even think of it. All the more important to be here I suppose.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in my twenties, 27 to be exact. How's it going? Welcome to the forums
Old 11-02-2015, 01:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi and welcome I'm 29
Old 11-02-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm 27, keep going up and down on the recovery wagon (had a down over the weekend) but keep looking forward
Old 11-02-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And if you do quit? Addiction can make you idolise the notion of being clean - I found it v confronting to find out some things I blamed drink drugs on I still had same problem clean - being sober is hard like that - less excuses can be made....so bearing that in mind what would it be like if you quit and stayed sober/clean?
Old 11-02-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm 29 born and raised in NYC
Old 11-02-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm 27. Been going for it for 7 years, more or less.

The thing I find hard is contemplating the idea that I won't be able to drink for, say, another 50 years...but you have to avoid those thoughts and take it a day at a time and you can be very successful...

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My 20s are just a distant, blurry, memory. But what I will say is that I wish I'd made the decision I finally made 5 months ago back in my 20s. Huge respect to you, and your fellow twentysomethings on here, to have had the courage and wisdom to realise you had a problem and to act on it while still so young. Your life will be so much better without alcohol holding you back.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I got sober in my late teens, been sober in my twenties, thirties, forties, and now working my way through my fifties.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedManc7 View Post
And if you do quit? Addiction can make you idolise the notion of being clean - I found it v confronting to find out some things I blamed drink drugs on I still had same problem clean - being sober is hard like that - less excuses can be made....so bearing that in mind what would it be like if you quit and stayed sober/clean?
Hmm. Well I'd guess I'd want the same happiness as anyone right? I'd hope to get back into my old runner's shape, filling my time with useful things... hopefully have a family or a partner by then, be successful in my career, have a home... have strong friendships... money saved... I'd think it would be the same things everyone wants.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
My 20s are just a distant, blurry, memory. But what I will say is that I wish I'd made the decision I finally made 5 months ago back in my 20s. Huge respect to you, and your fellow twentysomethings on here, to have had the courage and wisdom to realise you had a problem and to act on it while still so young. Your life will be so much better without alcohol holding you back.
I concur...
Old 11-02-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am 36. I first got sober at age 22 or 23, I can't remember exactly. I was having problems with alcohol, I didn't like my behavior or how I always seemed to get drunk so I quit. I had a great group of friends who fully supported me. It was a very fun and social time in my life. I was working at a high end restaurant making tons of money in tips. My fiancee and I entertained all the time and were invited out all the time. Everyone always made sure to have a special non-alcoholic drink for me and I found it fine and easy to be sober. I continued for 14 months and enjoyed every minute sober. I would sometimes have nightmares that I was drunk and doing something destructive, embarrassing or dangerous and when I would wake in the morning I felt so grateful that it was only a dream.
I then started a new job and was surrounded by 20 or so extremely type A people more or less my age. There was a lot of psychological testing before hiring and everyone who worked in the company fit a profile that seemed to go along the lines of "work hard, play hard" There were one or two exceptions but for the most part it was a very charged, driven environment. I would go out after work for happy hour and hang out with the group. They were so much fun and it was a good way to blow off steam. Once they got to know me better they started "good-naturedly" giving me a hard time about not drinking. One day I said "you know what you little f*ckers, I could drink every last one of you under the table" and proceeded to do so. My first drink after 14 months of sobriety was an irish car bomb that I downed in about 2 seconds.
I look back now and see how immature I was, how I had nothing to prove to these people, how I had been able to have plenty of fun and be part of the group without drinking, how I had absolutely no reason to give into their lighthearted teasing/peer pressure, that I threw so much away for nothing. Here I am almost 15 years later, really really struggling to get sober. Years of heartache and misery, self loathing and regret due to one stupid decision.
I tell you this story as yet another reminder that it only gets worse, much worse. I tell you this story to let you know that it is entirely possible and enjoyable to be sober in your 20's. I tell you this story to warn you that their might be moments of silly peer pressure, but you don't have to give in. Stay strong!
Old 11-02-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

last year of my 20's here
Old 11-02-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

27 Here!