Notices

I'm glad I'm not normal

Old 11-01-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Lightbulb I'm glad I'm not normal

We had a nice Halloween we prepared treats for the kids in adorable costumes who were super excited there was fog everywhere as the night came to a close the moon looked awesome blanketed in fog

Quite a few 'Normies' decided to not give treats to children and decided to do this instead

Halloween turns truly scary as drunken monsters, ghouls and ghosts fight and vomit on the streets of Britain | Daily Mail Online

London Halloween rave sees riot police pelted with missiles in Lambeth | Daily Mail Online

I'm glad I'm not normal if this is what normal is

Old 11-01-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. I particularly like the guy with the Stella can in his head. Well, I can say one thing for sure....that aint Idaho! I think even the most crazy Boise State Game might have someone getting sick in the bathroom but that's about it.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, SW, how very sad.

I had the absolute best time taking my grandkids around their neighborhood. It was a beautiful evening and everyone was out supporting the kids, lots of decorations everywhere. It was a wonderful time. Good for you that you had nice treats for the kids.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I agree, SW.

The farther into sobriety, the more I glad I am not "normal" .

Among other gifts of sobriety constant questioning "normality" and not being defined by its boundaries is one of the most life-changing sobriety treasures I've got.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are we saying normal is throwing up in the streets and rioting? I'm glad I'm not doing that either, but normal seems like everything but that. Am i missing the sarcasm?
Old 11-01-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Kids your not missing the sarcasm

A typical Friday & Saturday night anywhere in a built up city in the UK is like this minus the costumes, all police cells are taken up by ppl who have been drinking & fighting thier the non alcoholics aka nornmies/normal drinkers I say that with oh so many facts proof & evidence to back that up

Ask any UK city police force how many ppl do you arrest for drinking & fighting every Friday & Saturday night

So Kids with that I'm glad I'm not normal
Old 11-01-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gotcha. So good to be sober!
Old 11-01-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thankfully our small town showed none of that either. I'm pretty sure downtown might be some of the same, but I've never heard anything that bad. It really does demonstrate the ugly side of drinking...
Old 11-01-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm going to be alone in this but I was rather intrigued by the mayhem photos.
I'm interested in deviancy and social disorder though. Society gone wrong fascinates me
Good post though sw!
Old 11-01-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Can I ask Jsbodhi

Why are you intrigued by mayhem photos & why does deviancy & social disorder interest you & why does society gone wrong fascinate you ?

I wouldnt want to live like that ?

I'm not kicking up a stink I'm fascinated as to what your next answer will be as I've read your posts before you seem cool but I've seen you talk of stress & being angry

Shouldn't that social disorder upset you ? I really mean that sorry if I don't get what you mean are you confusing the true nature of chaos ?
Old 11-01-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi sw! No worries, ask me anything you want, I'm an open book
It was a weird things to say and I expected a little kick back, I'll try my best to explain!

I think that society in every country is held together by strong, yet flimsy strings via institutions like school, the courts and politics that have been hardened and patterned by years, decades and centuries.

We all grow up learning how to behave and function in society from our friends, parents, school, the media etc.
These learned behaviours dictate how we behave.
We have the police, law, peer pressure and a number of other things that keep us in line; and the vast majority of us police ourselves and follow the pattern.

BUT sometimes things go haywire like during a civil uprising such as Ukraine or something like apartheid.
Suddenly all the rules are out the window and the gates of hell get unleashed.
The power lies in the people, and if enough rebel against whatever is going on in government, law and any kind of structure can be completely overturned.

This fascinates me when the rules no longer apply and the people become mobs either for good or evil.
Photos and situations like the one you posted showed how flimsy the strings that hold it all together really are; especially if you add the heated energy of a group and the lowered inhibitions of alcohol,
it could've easily turned into a riot; with the police losing control, and the swat having to come out and maintain order.

Also the added aspect of everyone in evil costumes prowling the streets kinda caught my fancy a bit.
It's the gates of hell were unleashed and it wasn't humans out there anymore.
People find it easier to do things they normally wouldn't do when they're in a costume or uniform, because they're not "me" anymore.
Almost like Nazi's or soldiers, soldiers don't wander the streets shooting people at home, but " in uniform" its ok, that fascinates me!
To me in wasn't just a bunch of drunk people in costume on the streets, it was so much more in those photos.

I also wouldn't want to live in a society like that, but if I was in a place with a bad, oppressive government, I'd hit the streets too.

Maybe I think too much haha
I'm actually not an angry person, but I do get stressed yeah
Xoxo
Old 11-01-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also think it's interesting how brutal SWAT teams can become because they hide behind masks, uniforms and shields; then after something horrible happens.
Like in Ukraine- their SWAT were apologizing and came home to shouts of " shame" for the way they had behaved, like hitting 18 year old, unarmed female students with lead batons. Crazy.

Then I thought what if it was an actual revolution to over throw the government, rather than a bunch of drunken idiots.
Imagine the masses pouring into the streets to protest politics dressed as zombies and other horrors of the night, that would be super scary for the government, and wildly interesting.
Ok I'll stop now!!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

For some reason that article and this thread made me think about the song
Anarchy in the UK and now it's stuck in my head

Shoot, I m getting old LOL

Old 11-01-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
For some reason that article and this thread made me think about the song
Anarchy in the UK and now it's stuck in my head

Shoot, I m getting old LOL

Awesome haha!
Old 11-01-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This time last year I was still drinking and my husband did his awesome job doing up the house inside and out, but I didn't even do my spider web...(it's my only job) This year I supervised and pushed the best out of my husband--(he's very ocd and wants to do it all himself), but I got him motivated and house was super awesome. It ended up raining and windy but not cold thankfully, we still got 50-60 kids and I'm really glad we went all out for them because they were almost all soaked. We gave 'em lots of candy as well. I had an amazing pumpkin this year and enjoyed doing it-- the last few years I was not happy about doing it and didn't do the best job. Before I had a problem drinking I always was really proud of my carving.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow. That's crazy.
I had a blast with my three year old daughter and my one year old son (his first Halloween).
At one point, a house offered "adult treats," in liquid form. I felt a twinge of sadness at not being able to partake, but it passed. I'm closing in on a year sober.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This has been a fascinating thread to read!

Soberwolf - great photos! Some of those costumes were terrific :-D

Cool you guys had so much fun Bluefairy and Gniknus :-) My son's 23 now but we used to go all out for Halloween when he was younger. Decorating the house big time and even rented a fog machine on a couple of occasions. My son is really tall, and he dressed up in full costume as a werewolf once. He walked into the kitchen and the cats were under the dining table. They tried to take off so fast on the polished floorboards there legs were going around crazy fast but they were on the spot not getting anywhere - it was freakin' hilarious!!!

Jen - what brilliant posts!!! I see where you're coming from wolfie but I don't think Jen is saying she thinks violence or dangerous behaviour is good in itself, but more talking about the balance of power in society, and how fragile that is whether we appreciate it or not. It pays too appreciate it, because when you don't you may not recognise it taking place around you - sometimes it's a good thing but it can be disastrous.

P.S. I love Anarchy in the U.K.

"I wanna destroy!!!!!"
Old 11-01-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We took the herd trick or treating - had quite a nice time (the herd is 7, 6, 5, and 4 - one is mine, the rest are compliments of my brother and sister in law) and it was quite nice.

Our community is awkward though - we have serious dividing lines between wealthier neighborhoods and neighborhoods that aren't as financially secure and it really only takes crossing a road so there were more than a few fathers in my neighborhood strolling along with cheap beer and people following their children with their hazard lights on in their cars down the street and it was horribly crowded with groups of children trampling over lawns and landscaping while their parents smoked and played on their cell phones.

I enjoyed it...just made me a little sad to see how many parents couldn't be bothered to make a real effort at spending time with their children and instead were perfectly okay with letting them run completely wild as long as they weren't being bothered.

One of my neighbors had pretty much a haunted house set up in their yard, it was wicked, between the adults we were physically picking the kids up and carrying them kicking and screaming into the yard to get their candy it really was a blast
Old 11-02-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Jen I know what you mean, that anarchy song was good was that around PM Thatcher 70-80's

Il lay my cards on the table, I don't trust governments of any country, I will never trust the police and that hurts as I know there are good cops out there

I want to say more but that's for a diffrent thread in the meantime watch this & let me know what you think

https://youtu.be/JHQOX8EVNmE
Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No way??!!!!! That was amazing!! And directly relevant to what Jen was saying - great video/speech. The next Canadian Prime Minister do you think?! What a smart little cookie. I'll be showing that to a few people.

I don't trust governments either. There's always going to be some form of corruption, it's just a matter of how much.

Thanks, Wolfie :-)