Notices

Accidental Drink....Seriously!?!?

Old 11-01-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accidental Drink....Seriously!?!?

Went out for lunch with some friends today and we were given a pitcher of water. I poured myself a cup and took a huge gulp to realize it was vodka mixed with water. I spit as much as I could out and proceeded to burst into tears as I had just passed 100 days sober. We complained and of course the water was replaced. The worker claimed they had no idea what happened.

After gathering myself I have ended up just being really mad about the whole situation. Who pours vodka into a pitcher of water? Why did it have to end up on the recovering alcoholics table? It makes me feel like to continue my count is cheating even though I know that rationally it's not.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Continue your counting and don't worry about it. You had no intention of drinking and you really didn't drink. That's the weirdest thing I have ever heard of. A pitcher of water with vodka?
Old 11-01-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just don't let the thought "Oh well, my streak is ruined, may as well go and drink this entire bottle" creep into your mind.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with JD1639 dont let that devil try to hold u down.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is in no way a slip of any kind. Congratulations on 100 days 😀😀

ps That's a really weird thing to happen. Are there any of your friends who might have thought that would be funny? I only ask because making a pitcher of water is probably the hardest thing in the world to get wrong.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Just an accident, don't worry about it. You might want to be a little more wary about where you eat lunch though....places that hand out pitchers of water mixed with vodka should probably be off the list for a while.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is so strange! However, in NO WAY do I think that it ruins your sober streak. It wasn't intentional on your part and you spit it out, so it doesn't count!
Old 11-01-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Just an accident, don't worry about it. You might want to be a little more wary about where you eat lunch though....places that hand out pitchers of water mixed with vodka should probably be off the list for a while.

I agree with not going back there! What if you had children with you, and they drank that???
Old 11-01-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like others have indicated, you are still sober and no need to beat yourself up or start over with your sobriety date. I have heard many similar stories throughout the years. The positive is that you recoiled from liquor as it was a hot flame. I believe that is a tenth steps promise that appears to becoming true for you already.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I feel like cheating requires an aspect of deceit. You are not deceiving anyone. That sutuation sounds really frustrating but it was certainly not your fault. Put it behind you and keep moving forward
Old 11-01-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Who does stuff like that? That is just wrong.
Who can we trust these days? Its so sad to think
we cant even go to a restaurant and drink water
without the worry it is spiked. Just so sad.

Id continue on your recovery, strengthening
you recovery foundation to insure a healthy,
happy and honest life for years to come.

I'll also take note of your experience and
be on guard for such strange or even delibrant
actions even in a restaurant.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That reminds me of a meeting I went to when I was doing meetings. A lady was having a hysterical fit. She had gone to a big "recovery" convention at a large resort and one of the teenage servers must have thought that it would be funny to put rum in a pitcher of coke. Or perhaps the pitcher was ordered by one of the other members, I don't know. I told her not to worry about it but some of the others were sure that this was a big concern. She was convinced that she had to start over. I came away from that meeting quite angry that this person had been trained and encouraged to think in such an unhelpful self destructive manner.
I personally don't think that a life of fear is helpful and-or healthy to getting over your issues. It's a learning experience. Booze is everywhere so when your out at a place that serves it you just need to be observant. One unintentional taste of vodka is absolutely not a reason to negate you accomplishment. Get that out of your mind and don't let anyone tell you different.
Great job on 100+ days! Keep going!
Old 11-01-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with Scott & Sharon
Old 11-01-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventurer

What restaurant was this? Who spikes the tap water with booze? I feel awful that you had to go through that.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep right on counting, Kamm; you didn't break your sobriety; it was completely accidental.

Move forward with pride.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much for the encouragement! Since a few days have passed I've had time to think and get away from my initial, emotional response. I don't feel so upset and will definitely be continuing my streak.

My thought is that maybe it was one of the servers "personal water" and that someone there is struggling with an addction of their own. This makes me even more grateful for my sobriety and I hope that if there is someone there struggling that they will find the support they need.

This restaurant a one time thing, we had just finished a race hours away from where we live and we were on the way back home when we stopped for lunch.

I will definitely be more vigilant in the future.... still makes me a bit grumpy that I have to be careful about water but the trade off is worth it!
Old 11-02-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're still with us Kamm

D
Old 11-02-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That happened to me but with coffee instead of water. Don't worry about it. Keep counting. If you continued drinking it knowing what was in it that would be a different story.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You didn't slip the restaurant employee is an idiot
Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You're doing great, kamm! Dumb stuff happens through no fault of our own. Just keep swimming...:-)

Delfin