Now or Never - w/Permission

Old 09-08-2004, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"learning to just be me"

Now or Never - w/Permission

Okay, I know there is a "sticky" Al-Anon liturature situation. As I read the "sticky" post I believe this is okay to post. It actually comes with 'permission to reprint on the internet' tagline in the magazine. This story is in the May 2004 issue. Have a read....

Reprinted with the permission of
The Forum, Al-Anon Family Group
Hdqts., Inc., Virginia Beach, VA.

Now or Never
by TinaR., Arkansas

After years of active drinking, my husband found sobriety and I was thrilled. Finally I was going to have the husband and perfect life I always wanted.

To my surprise, that wasn’t what happened. My husband still spent a lot of time away. I was still the one taking care of the children, the bills, and everything else—poor me. After he had been sober for a while, he began to change—but not into what I wanted. He developed a mind of his own. I could no longer control him and I resented him. As he got better and better, I became sicker and sicker. I found myself alone, facing a divorce and custody battle—but how could this happen?

At my husband’s earlier request, I attended some Al-Anon meetings but I didn’t think I needed those people. I sure didn’t need a Higher Power. I could control my own life and make my own destiny. I did pick up some of the Al-Anon slogans, which I used enough in meetings to let everyone know I was doing great, but I would never really need them.

After 11 months on my own, my best thinking and planning brought me to the point where I sat at home thinking of suicide. Suddenly it all started coming back to me. I remembered things that were said in meetings, some of the slogans people used, and happy, caring faces. I realized I couldn’t fall any lower, so I reached my bottom. It was now or never and I was willing to do anything to ease my pain.

I decided to return to meetings without knowing if they would accept me or turn me away when they found out I had been lying. They didn’t run me off. Instead they greeted me with understanding and compassion.

This was a new experience for me. I admitted I was powerless and my life was unmanageable. I asked my Higher Power for help, found a Sponsor, and started working the Twelve Steps.

Almost a year later, my life has changed so much. Since I took that First Step, my husband and I are back together. My children are happy and I am happy. I truly have a wonderful life.

Even though there are still problems in my life, I now have the help of my Higher Power. I have my Al-Anon friends, meetings, literature, and a loving Sponsor. I am not alone and I can live a wonderful life, “One Day at a Time.” I have become what I heard so often at those early meetings—happy and full of joy. I will be forever grateful.

Again, to keep WSO happy…
Reprinted with the permission of
The Forum, Al-Anon Family Group
Hdqts., Inc., Virginia Beach, VA.

Last edited by noifs2day; 09-08-2004 at 08:30 AM. Reason: paragraph breaks
Old 09-08-2004, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Thanks noifs,
I am glad that you found this. If you see any more that are similar, they are appreciated. Hugs, Magic
Old 09-08-2004, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So true for me. While I would like to think that if my AH would stop drinking, all of our problems would go away, I do know that that is not true. We have profound communication problems. Its hard to believe that we both speak English - must be that Mars, Venus thing. Anyway, I am trying to be more honest with myself and with my AH about my own deficiencies that cause stress in the relationship.

Thank you for the post.