Notices

fetal alcohol syndrome

Old 10-29-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fetal alcohol syndrome

Hello- I have just delivered a newborn baby boy. I had some issues with binge drinking during the pregnancy. I have been in AA and individual counseling for support during pregnancy but still had relapse episodes. I'm looking to connect with people who have/had issues with drinking while pregnant, worries over possible fetal alcohol syndrome, or ended up having a child with fetal alcohol syndrome.

Some background: I have struggled with depression that I self treated with alcohol for approximately 3 years. This led to relationship issues, my husband knew about the drinking problem but was not very supportive (not blaming him, I know the part i played in all this and take responsibility) and he ended up having an affair. He disclosed the affair about a year ago and I was sober as of then. Unfortunately I didn't feel that he was very supportive during the pregnancy and that combined with the physical and emotional issues with pregnancy, things got out of control for me with drinking resulting in about 9 episodes of binge drinking during the pregnancy. I delivered a nice big baby boy who appears normal aside from a possible flat philtrum. No one knows about my drinking during pregnancy besides my therapist. Obviously I'm in a panic about the harm I have possibly caused.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I have no experience of the situation your in, but I do know how much it hurts to worry about the damage we do not only to ourselves but to others.

I hope everything is alright with your baby and that you will stick around here on the forum!
Old 10-29-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, yes, i shamefully & selfishly did similar........probably 3 or 4 times in both pregnancies & i feel disgusted talking about it even now. I never told a sole as i was so ashamed, my kiddies are now 3 1/2 & 2. Both are healthy, happy & do not appear to have suffered in anyway as a result of my horrific behaviour, ur not alone at all.x
Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All I can offer is to be aware of developmental milestones and if your son isn't developing as expected to seek help from your local Early Intervention program. You don't need a referral for an EI evaluation (in most states) so if you are concerned call and get an evaluation. Its free and can ease you mind.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

welcome
Old 10-30-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hardtolookahead!!
Old 10-30-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

How are you
Old 10-30-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation.

For your child's sake, I hope you talk openly to your dr about what happened. This is our Sticky Information On FAS:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-syndrome.html