Notices

The Big Meltdown. Soup Anyone?

Old 10-28-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Big Meltdown. Soup Anyone?

The Chicken the Owl and the Tortoise

There once was a chicken an owl and a tortoise (Shall I continue?) Well the chicken was a very hyper stressed out bird, always “on the go” as the advertisers like to say. The problem was, however that this chicken would “go” in one direction, then in another, and another, and another, setting out to do one thing and then another and maybe trying to do several things at once. Every now and then it flew up into a frenzy and had a melt down. In sharp contrast the tortoise did everything very carefully, very slowly and methodically, one thing at a time. The owl, standing by said, “That looks pretty boring, rather like watching grass grow! See that rock over there? You say you’re headed for that rock but you’ll never reach it!” “Why?” said the tortoise. “That’s easy!” said the owl. “To reach that rock you’ll first have to cover half the distance and then half the remaining distance and then half the distance remaining after that and then half...” “Oh shut up!” said the tortoise. “Who’s being boring now?” Eventually the tortoise reached the rock and the owl said, “How did you manage to do that?” And the tortoise said, “Whadayou? Some kind of wise guy? Aw gewan an fuggedaboudid! And gedouda heah!”
So what’s the moral? The moral is that the chicken and the tortoise both ended up in the soup but the chicken lived only three months before a melt down and soup time but the tortoise lived until 110, had a fine life going back and forth to the rock and looking at the flowers and the trees, listening to the birds but ignoring the owl. Indeed, at times the tortoise would say “All this serenity! Sometimes it’s more than I can handle!” So why didn’t the wise guy owl end up in soup too? Answer- Does anyone care for owl soup? And from some kind of wise guy?

Ars longa Vita brevis! (And some say that snapper soup is a delicacy; chicken soup you can get anywhere!).

W.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haha, great story wpainterw - that last line made me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing this great tale!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you
Old 10-29-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post!! That was a good read!!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So what are you all out there? Chickens? Owls? or Turtles? I'll tell you what I am and I won't chicken out. I was an owl but I'm learning to be a turtle. If so I'll be an old turtle and it won't be long until I end up in the soup. Bon appetit!

W.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good one, wpainterw. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I aspire to be a turtle, too, painter!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

If we're picking , I choose the waiter, but I don't do weddings, no tips
Old 10-29-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
If we're picking , I choose the waiter, but I don't do weddings, no tips
You choose the waiter. You hand out the soup. So maybe you get bigger tips for the turtle soup. And those who eat turtle soup probably live longer (check it out). What are you going to spend all that money on? Booze? Hope not. You'll end up like the chickens. So now go lay an egg, sit on it and do some deep thinking. Good luck.

W.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
So what are you all out there? Chickens? Owls? or Turtles? I'll tell you what I am and I won't chicken out. I was an owl but I'm learning to be a turtle. If so I'll be an old turtle and it won't be long until I end up in the soup. Bon appetit!

W.
Many, or even most, alcoholics are chickens to start with, unpredictable,overreacting, angry, passionate, flying up to the top of the hencoop and high as a kite. Later many of those who have not already ended up in the soup, become owls. Some precocious adolescents jump the gun and think they've become owls and know everything. As these owls age, they come to realize that they don't know all the answers, don't really care to know, became turtles, just doing what has to be done, one thing at a time enjoying the time left (which may be considerable because of their laid back life style) to admire the trees, the flowers, the birds, the animals and the beauty of Autumn,

W.