Notices

Ups and downs

Old 10-27-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ups and downs

So...today officially marks day 14 of my sobriety. To be honest, I almost didn't make it this far. Yesterday after I got home from work, I had decided I wanted a drink. I thought to myself, I've worked hard to get to 14 days...plus, the football game was on. While I was in the kitchen trying to decide what I wanted to drink, my two year old son was hugging my legs and clearly wanting some "daddy time". I took him back to the living room to play with his sister, so I could get back to the kitchen to decide what I wanted to drink. Every time I would leave him in the living room, he would find his way back to the kitchen and wrap his arms around my legs. We probably did this dance 4 or 5 times before I realized...he needs me more than I need a drink. With that being said, I never decided what to drink last night. When I finally had some free time to get back to the kitchen, I settled on water. Last night ended up being a good night, despite my struggle of wanting a drink.

It's pretty crazy how the cravings come and go. I do hope they lose their strength over time, because last night was not easy.

Rookie42
Old 10-27-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great job on 2 weeks of sobriety Rookie42. You made a great decision last night as well, good job.

Early in sobriety the cravings/feelings are all over the place and they do decrease in strength and frequency over time. Can I ask what you do on a daily basis to strengthen and work on your sobriety? Simply "white knuckling" through it is very difficult and not always effective.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Great job on 2 weeks of sobriety Rookie42. You made a great decision last night as well, good job.

Early in sobriety the cravings/feelings are all over the place and they do decrease in strength and frequency over time. Can I ask what you do on a daily basis to strengthen and work on your sobriety? Simply "white knuckling" through it is very difficult and not always effective.
Hey ScottFromWI,

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what else I should be doing to strengthen my sobriety. I'm coming to this site a lot, and I have started talking with a counselor. Other than these two things, I guess "white knuckling" it has been my method. What other things do you recommend?
Old 10-27-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I find it is essential to have the support of others as well as a program that lays out how to deal with the past, present, and future. I find these things in AA meetings and the Twelve Steps.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job, Rookie, and good for you for paying attention to your little guy who clearly needed Daddy last night. Two weeks is a great accomplishment. Coming to SR and talking with a counsellor are really good things to do to support your recovery. For me, the hardest time was early evening. If I got past that time, I would be okay. So, I started going out walking right after supper. Bottom line is to make a plan to have in place for those difficult times of the day or week, being careful to consider people and places where alcohol would be available.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Great job on the 14 days and focusing on the lil one. I am curious if you still have alcohol in your home? I know for me, I had to discard all of it to make sure it wasn't easily accessible.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job Rookie, and consider yourself lucky! Those times of your children needing you like that go by faster than you think. And to be sober during that beautiful time.....priceless. Def one of my regrets when I look back, that my drinking blurred so many of those precious memories.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job and sometimes I think early on you do have to white knuckle it. You can do the "this is just my AV talking and I need to ignore it" but sometimes that's pretty much a white knuckle. They do get less often... sometimes I still get bad cravings but you just have to do the "I'm not going to drink for the next hour and then I'll see" and just keep doing that until it passes - and as you see they always pass.

I'm sure your son was extremely happy you took a pass and at the end of the night you were proud of yourself as well.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Rookie congrats
Old 10-27-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Right on!!

I'm glad you got through it unscathed.

"he needs me more than I need a drink"

Yes... he does.

I find that deciding what to drink ahead of time arms me for these moments;

Pellegrino with a lime, Green Veggie and Fruit Juice, Fizzy Water, maybe a fancy soda, Tea or just a glass of plain and simple H2O.

I decide this ahead of time - so that when indecision arises it's a pretty short list to choose from. Alcohol just isn't even on the list.

Keep it up!

Old 10-27-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 14 is fantastic Rookie!! Keep it going!!
Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Good job, Rookie, and good for you for paying attention to your little guy who clearly needed Daddy last night. Two weeks is a great accomplishment. Coming to SR and talking with a counsellor are really good things to do to support your recovery. For me, the hardest time was early evening. If I got past that time, I would be okay. So, I started going out walking right after supper. Bottom line is to make a plan to have in place for those difficult times of the day or week, being careful to consider people and places where alcohol would be available.
Anna,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I think it's a great idea to make a plan during the times that are most challenging. For me, it's usually after I get home from work and Saturday nights. Maybe I'll try to schedule an ongoing family activity at that time. Thanks, again.

Rookie42
Old 10-27-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Right on!!

I'm glad you got through it unscathed.

"he needs me more than I need a drink"

Yes... he does.

I find that deciding what to drink ahead of time arms me for these moments;

Pellegrino with a lime, Green Veggie and Fruit Juice, Fizzy Water, maybe a fancy soda, Tea or just a glass of plain and simple H2O.

I decide this ahead of time - so that when indecision arises it's a pretty short list to choose from. Alcohol just isn't even on the list.

Keep it up!

FreeOwl,
Thanks for the response. I like all of the various drinking options. I also appreciated seeing my own words in quote form...for some odd reason it really hit home with me. "he needs me more than I need a drink"

Thanks, again.
Rookie42
Old 10-27-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
Great job Rookie, and consider yourself lucky! Those times of your children needing you like that go by faster than you think. And to be sober during that beautiful time.....priceless. Def one of my regrets when I look back, that my drinking blurred so many of those precious memories.
InTheEnd,

Thank you for sharing...especially how drinking blurred precious memories for you. Moving forward, I'm sure there will be plenty of precious memories to come for both of us.

Rookie42
Old 10-27-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hey Kids, it seems like yesterday that you made your first post here. Great job on 14 days. Keep up the great work.