Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I don't drink often, but when I do, I don't know when to stop.

Notices

Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't drink but maybe once a month or once every three weeks. Always on Saturday night at our lake place or during a football game. My problem is, once I start drinking, I don't know when to stop and usually don't remember anything and have even thrown up a couple of time. This all started when my mom had a massive brain bleed 7 years ago and I went through a divorce. I have been taking care of my mom since. I have a 14 yr old daughter who does not like to see me drink at all and I want to never do it again for her sake. Then the selfish side of me says it is the only break I get from the insanity that is my life. I need your advice.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Redhead!

Stick around, read the posts and you'll likely see that you fit right in here.
You have options and seeing what others are doing will give you some idea what you want to do.

I tried to escape with drinking but it ended up making everything worse and invited even more insanity into my life.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

pretty common story, amongst addicts and alcoholics!

You're in good company here... 'specially if you'd prefer to stop and focus on living a rich, rewarding, grateful life.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR redhead. How much you drink or how often you do it is only one piece of the puzzle when it comes to figuring out if you have a problem with drinking or not. Not being able to stop drinking once you start and blacking out/getting ill from drinking too much is a big red flag though.

Have you considered just not drinking at all for a few months to see how things go?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Redhead!!
Old 10-26-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Redhead
Old 10-26-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Redhead,
I have no 'off' switch once I begin drinking so I've decided never to start again. I wish you the best.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redhead888 View Post
I don't drink but maybe once a month or once every three weeks. Always on Saturday night at our lake place or during a football game. My problem is, once I start drinking, I don't know when to stop and usually don't remember anything and have even thrown up a couple of time. This all started when my mom had a massive brain bleed 7 years ago and I went through a divorce. I have been taking care of my mom since. I have a 14 yr old daughter who does not like to see me drink at all and I want to never do it again for her sake. Then the selfish side of me says it is the only break I get from the insanity that is my life. I need your advice.
A lot of folks can relate to your situation. Sounds like stress and feeling overwhelmed could be a trigger for you? So, it would be great if you could come up with an ALTERNATIVE means of coping with what happens in life that cause us to feel overloaded/overwhelmed...

Good that your daughter doesn't like your drinking and that you know she doesn't like it...I would think that would a wonderful incentive NOT to drink.

Sometimes you just need more positives in your life, especially when a bunch of negatives have been thrown your way. I have found this forum to be full of positive mentalities and very REAL, and realistic ways of looking at things and coming up with some solutions. You've got to do your part always...but there is help to help you...
Old 10-26-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Redhead. There are a lot of us here who drank or drink like that. So I had only one real option, and that was to to quit drinking. If that is your goal, this site is a good place to start.