Notices

Asking your doctor?

Old 10-25-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Asking your doctor?

Hey everyone,
I've struggled mightily to quit drinking (4-6 beers a day). I don't have physical withdrawal symptoms when I have tried to quit (as many as 33 days in the last few months) but still struggle greatly.

I made an appointment for tomorrow for a physical. I plan on speaking with my doctor about my problem.

Has anyone here every discussed their addiction with their doctor? And if so, what types of questions, things to say, make the most sense? Should I ask about medication? Counseling?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was open about it I told the truth that's the best advice I can give
Old 10-25-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beeraholic View Post
Hey everyone,
I've struggled mightily to quit drinking (4-6 beers a day). I don't have physical withdrawal symptoms when I have tried to quit (as many as 33 days in the last few months) but still struggle greatly.

I made an appointment for tomorrow for a physical. I plan on speaking with my doctor about my problem.

Has anyone here every discussed their addiction with their doctor? And if so, what types of questions, things to say, make the most sense? Should I ask about medication? Counseling?

Thanks!
Well here is the truth but I know that I sure did not want to hear it at the time.

You just have to be completely honest with your doctor. Completely 100% honest. Frequency, quantity, my doctor even wanted to know what type of alcohol I drank.

Everything else will fall into place.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I just told him I had a problem with alcohol and I quit drinking. He was my new doctor at the time. Still is my doctor. It was a very nonjudgmental situation. I used his help to quick smoking five years ago, I used the chantix. It's a weird drug. I had side effects with it but I'm very sensitive to drugs. I think most doctors today are better educated on addictions.

I hope this helps

Love from Lenina
Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to the doctors when I was ready to quit, but not ready to be honest and open. I INTENDED to be frank and honest, but when I got there I was overwhelmed with fear and just couldn't cope with the idea of telling him quite how awful I'd let things get, so I kind of 'softened the edges' of the truth. Quite a bit. Needless to say, his response then wasn't helpful because it was based on fiction not fact. Then I was too ashamed to go back and tell him that actually I'd fed him a load of bull in the first appointment, so didn't go back. *Jeez*.

I think what would have been helpful in my case was to actually write down what I wanted to tell him about - even just as a list of bullet points (about my drinking patterns, and what effect my drinking was having on my life generally so he's understand why it was causing me problems), to keep me a bit more in tune with reality. Denial (i.e. Don't Even Notice I Am Lying) often got the better of me back then - now I'm very careful not to start on the web of deceit with any 'white lies' or 'almost truths' but I wasn't capable of that then. I'm sure I was very convincing in that doctors office - I even convinced myself at the time.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you tell your Dr, it can only help both of you they can support and keep you on track and help there work as you become healthier.
It just gives you support and options to help.
You will be amazed. If your worried about there moral view ,I don't think there are many old school medics about and if you do then what a great time to get a better Dr.
Go on it can only help and what a relief to have a professional help on board.
John.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

I just returned from my appointment. I was completely honest and we had a good discussion. She HIGHLY recommended AA and therapy and not medication. She referred to addiction as a disease with different degrees of severity and told me in AA to not look around and think about being better or worse then others.

Mostly, she was obsessed with my 4 month old who came with me. And she reminded me to quit for him.

Looking into going to my first meeting today.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in AA - any questions, feel free to ask
Old 10-26-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
I'm in AA - any questions, feel free to ask
Thank you! After my first meeting I will undoubtedly be asking you questions today.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah I told my doctor. It's funny, the first time he told me to just drink less. He also recommended I see a shrink to get depression treated, and gave me a few names.

The second time he told me to quit outright and not taper. And when I went in for something unrelated, he asked how it was going.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks everyone.

I just returned from my appointment. I was completely honest and we had a good discussion. She HIGHLY recommended AA and therapy and not medication. She referred to addiction as a disease with different degrees of severity and told me in AA to not look around and think about being better or worse then others.

Mostly, she was obsessed with my 4 month old who came with me. And she reminded me to quit for him.

Looking into going to my first meeting today.
It sounds like you have a great doctor, many do not understand addiction at all. Glad you had the conversation and hope you enjoy the meeting!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
Yeah I told my doctor. It's funny, the first time he told me to just drink less. He also recommended I see a shrink to get depression treated, and gave me a few names.

The second time he told me to quit outright and not taper. And when I went in for something unrelated, he asked how it was going.
At first she asked me if I had considered drinking less, or moderating. And I thought to myself, it would be easy to let her lead me down that way and take it as an endorsement to moderate.

Instead, I persisted and said I have tried to cut down for several years and think it's beyond that. She said, "so you have an addiction." And I said yes.

It felt liberating just to tell another person, "yes, I have a problem with addiction."
Old 10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 10-26-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Totally depends on what you need...so that you can indeed ask for what you need...soooooo....you need to know what your needs are..you need to get in touch with that and that takes some introspection, reflection, soul searching, honesty.

Also, I don't know your Dr., but some Dr.'s are more open and helpful than others. As far as asking for medication: we can't give medical advice here, but I didn't have any withdrawl symptoms when I quit...a few cravings, yes..

HOWEVER, I needed to address WHY I even drank in the first place! And for me it was a combination of insomnia, depression, unresolved grief, and coping with stress...also: maybe coping with going through life's changes and coming to terms with changes...

So...long story short, I WAS open with my Dr. and she was great about it all: non-judgmental, supportive, great suggestions, medication for sleep and depression, encouragement to stick with counseling, etc. If you are a person that suffered withdrawls a Dr. MIGHT also prescribe something for that, plus it's good to remember that some alcohol withdrawl can cause seizures, and some seizures can be life threatening.

It's good you're getting with your Dr. on this!

Blessed Be...
Old 10-26-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds positive!!