Notices

Bored and lonely

Old 10-25-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bored and lonely

Right now I'm bored and feeling a little lonely. It's not terrible but definitely unfamiliar. I've learned that my friends are triggers so for right now I have to steer clear which is usually easy when i am busy. Typically if i had this much free time I'd go out for dinner and drinks with a friend. I can't imagine having dinner without drinks with these individuals. So for now I'm staying in until My will gets stronger. How do you guys cope with boredom and loneliness?
Old 10-25-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to replace my drinking behaviour to a new one. I started walking, changed my diet and in general trying to look after my health and mind.. You feel really good once those endorphins are released..
That helps me
Old 10-25-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, this was a big change for me to in sobriety.

I gave up all my hobbies when I was drinking. Maybe you did to? If so, now is a great time to get back into them. By getting back into my hobbies it kept me busy and introduced me to new non-trigger people.

If you want something to you do right now, catching up on a movie that you were excited to see but never around to seeing is an idea. I kept a stack ready to go for when I wanted a distraction and it helped me get through the early days.

It took me about 3 months until I felt comfortable navigating social situations where I thought there would be alcohol. The time off was one of the best things I did to figure who I actually am after 20 years of daily drinking. I hope the same for you.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got back to doing things I used to enjoy before I started drinking. And, I tried some new things too. I think it's SO important to know that it's so much more than just stopping drinking.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

All of the above
Old 10-25-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just went to have dinner at my moms house. I'm happy to have rode the urges out and not give in. I've done this before and spent the first 2-3 months of sobriety at my mothers house... It helped me to be successful in my sobriety but that was due to my not being alone. I think this will be one of my biggest hurdles but I'm determined to conquer it. Coming to SR instead of calling a friend was def a step in the right direction.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

You can get past it and the more time you build up sober the cravings will subside. It is great you know better than to temp a relapse by hanging out with people who are known triggers. As everyone else said go back to some old hobbies, I watch a lot of movies and do a lot of home improvements.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi FaithfulAndFree, good job steering clear of your triggers. I've been in the similar situations before, it's almost like you feel left out but only because you are choosing to do so lol.

When I'm bored I just try and stay busy with what I can, I find its best to keep your mind occupied so it doesn't wander. I find the loneliness can make the mind wander a bit too much too. Do you have a laptop? When I'm in my house for too long with no one there, I try and get out where people are at. I take my laptop to a Starbucks or occasionally a library, and I just surf the net or browse the forums here. I find being around people helps to feel less lonely, even if I'm not talking to anyone. And once in a while I run into a chatty person and happen to exchange words with them and it feels kinda good.