Notices

Hi everyone

Old 10-25-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

I don't know where to start. I am based in Belfast and am struggling with alcoholism. I am currently covered in cuts and bruises where I fell the other night. I guess you could say I have the fear - guilt, shame and remorse. Alcohol has repeatedly kicked me in the teeth and yet I keep going back for more. I have to stop before my children are burying me - or I end up in prison. I have tried meetings and managed to do a few weeks here and there sober but it never lasts. I am already out of the family home. The truth is I just can't get to grips with a sober life. It feels like alcohol is my only release for utter banality. I don't know how it came to this but it has. I'm utterly baffled as to how I can conquer this.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome Nickybhoy!

In-patient treatment and meetings are what worked for me. But when I say 'meetings' it really was a lot more than that. First I had to quit fighting and realize I couldn't fight alcohol. I couldn't control it--once I took that first drink, it controlled me. I needed to learn how to not pick up that first one.

I had to go to meetings regularly, I listened to what others had to say and followed their suggestions, I got a sponsor and I worked the 12 steps and incorporated them into my life. Those things took the obsession and craving away, and helped me to be happy without alcohol in my life. That's just my experience.

There are other ways to get freedom from this nightmare if that doesn't suit you; read around here what others did. Stay close; you can find a lot of support here.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Nickybhoy nice to meet you

The only way things get better is no drinking take it off the menu your going to have to either see a Dr about detox or cold turkey which isnt advised as ppl have died in WD so if you want help today & youl do anything to get out of this cycle then my advice would get a friend to take you to A&E and explain you have stopped drinking and need help with detoxing as its dangerous as you can't taper no alcoholic can

Most importantly your not alone you have found us & were here 24-7 its great for recovery

Really nice to meet you
Old 10-25-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Nickybhoy!
Reminds me of my story at one point before I believed that it would get worse. In my case it continued to get much worse before I decided I had enough and was willing to ask for help. I was in a rehab hospital when AA stopped by. They all seemed to be really enjoying life and I couldn't believe it when they told me they were all former rehab patients just like me. I wanted what they had in the worse way. I got a sponsor as they suggested, worked the steps and years later I am still sober!!

You can do it too!
Old 10-25-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Nickybhoy!!
Old 10-25-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You've come to a good place. The way I have been successful is taking it one day at a time. I went to my doctor to get meds for withdrawals. I have also been working to address the reasons I drank. Without working on the issues that contributed to my excessive drinking, I really don't think I will be successful long term.

I also couldn't see life without alcohol. I can honestly say it has been worth getting sober. Life isn't easy, but at least I don't live with constant regrets or wondering what I said or did when drinking. Sober life is so much better in so many respects.

Good luck! I'm glad you are here.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem NickyBhoy

I really found posting here daily made a difference. Throw yourself into the community here - maybe check out the Class of October support thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-11.html

D
Old 10-25-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, Nicky! We understand just how you feel - you never have to feel alone.

I did the same thing - insisted I couldn't let go of it - life would be so dull. Yet all it brought me in the end was utter misery and desperation. The fun is gone, and we can't control what will happen when we pick up. It was actually a relief to be free of it. You can learn to live again in a new and better way. Never give up.