Notices

Self Will

Old 10-24-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Self Will

I think I'm a reasonably intelligent person and that is exactly what the problem is. Self will run riot is the enemy of my sobriety because I have a thinking disease not a drinking disease.

I liken my thinking to playing Russian roulette I can pull the trigger 5 times with absolutely no problems but the 6th can have deadly consequences..

I have this huge blind spot when it comes to my drinking. I thought that I could out think this disease and tried for 20 years only to fail time and time again.

Over the years I have learned not to put 100% faith in my thinking I take counsel from people who have long-term sobriety before I make any important decision and genuinely listen to what is setting even if I don't like it because I have found the advice that I least liked I most needed.

Today I've grown in my sobriety because I know my thinking can be flawed and I just accept it as part of who I am but I'm smart enough to rely on the wisdom of others

Have a wonderful sober Saturday
Old 10-24-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great post, MIR, I agree and I think because of our honesty, it is easier to seek help and advice.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Can't argue with that.

Although I've come to been able to trust my thinking a lot more than I could have in the past and run more on intuition now, it still works better for me to run my thoughts or bigger decisions past at least one other trusted person before I act on them. Praying for guidance is also important to me.

Going it entirely solo can get me into trouble.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One of the lines I have always loved, "I'm not allowed in my head without adult supervision."
Old 10-24-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yea, there is no chapter in the Big Book entitled Into Thinking - but there is one called Into Action.

How could the same brain that got me into my alcoholic circumstances get me out?!? I needed help. That was the most difficult part for me - seeking guidance from others.

There's a saying that no one is to dumb to get sober but some are to smart! I agree with that sentiment, mostly. Being raised with a pull yourself up, boot strap mentality I figured I could do some figuring and figure a way out of the mess I had created. Wrong figuring on my part........

Today I trust my intuition much more in sobriety. I have sober friends here and elsewhere to bounce things off. I continue to allow myself to be moved and directed in a spiritual manner. Is it perfect? No, of course not. But better is sometimes good enough. When I am wrong, which sometimes is frequently others correct me.

Thanks for the thread MIR -
"Think" I'll keep coming back!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great post Mir wishing you a peaceful weekend