Notices

If it wasn't for SR

Old 10-23-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

If it wasn't for SR

When I first found this forum I was nearly 3 months sober.

I wasn't quite sure what the recovery part meant, but then, for myself, I was still dealing with some cravings, albeit lesser as time went on. But I had been drinking a long time, my body had to adjust, after the abuse I had given it.

I forgot about my brain, though.....The anxieties, how I interpreted them into other anxieties, not recognising them as withdrawals from the alcohol.

So I found this forum, I read many people's experiences, read recommended books and learnt about my addictive brain and why I behaved the way I did. Why a seemingly intelligent, conscientious person could turn when affected with alcohol.

One piece of advice I will not forget though is not to do any major changes in the first year. Because of the big changes taking place with our body and definitely our minds, it was good advice!

The pieces of the jigsaw do come together, though, and life is much better without alcohol.

No, it's not a fairytale, after all it's life, but it's not the drama it was when I drank. I can cope and deal with things that would ve drove me to drink in the past, but then , I probably self consciously planned that so I could treat myself with a few bottles at the end of a rubbish day.

I'm writing this down because I just saw Mountainmanbob had reached 8 years sober and he said he is grateful daily, or words similar, and reminded me that I can't afford to get complacent. That I can't drink socially, it was never enough just one of two drinks, and that I never want to be the person I was, with shame and regrets and hangovers.

Life is better, my relationship with my husband is the best ever, he's my best friend. it would've been so different now if I had carried on drinking, if it hadn't killed me first and I had lived to tell the tale.

So id like to take the opportunity to say Thank you to Dee and all the forum greeters and supporters and thank you to all the friends I have made here. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me so I could grow and learn from you all. You all have a special place in my heart.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One alcoholic helping another is what it always has been and will be about. We have to give it away in order to keep it.

Your story has helped me stay sober today and for that I will be eternally grateful
Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a great post mags - congratulations on your sober time...and thank you for the kind words

D
Old 10-24-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic Mags!!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Keep on Mags

m
Old 10-24-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well said, Mags!
Old 10-24-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A beautiful post.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A really lovely post, glad I read it today.
Many thanks
xx
Old 10-24-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love this. We are all in this together. This site is my daily go to atm to keep me inspired. Every day I read new posts from someone like me. Not a down and out bum, regular social people who got sucked into the myth of alcohol being OK. I guess it is for some people, but not for us.
One is never enough and two leads to oblivion.
Good luck gal x
Old 10-24-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a nice post!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a fantastic post, mags.

I am very glad that you are a part of SR, my friend.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post, Mags!

And, you are so right about gratitude. It's easy to get complacent and let problems built up, but focusing on gratitude has such a difference for me.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mags you know your my bird mentor you are such a good friend have a wonderful evening Mags

Old 10-24-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
When I first found this forum I was nearly 3 months sober.

I wasn't quite sure what the recovery part meant, but then, for myself, I was still dealing with some cravings, albeit lesser as time went on. But I had been drinking a long time, my body had to adjust, after the abuse I had given it.

I forgot about my brain, though.....The anxieties, how I interpreted them into other anxieties, not recognising them as withdrawals from the alcohol.

So I found this forum, I read many people's experiences, read recommended books and learnt about my addictive brain and why I behaved the way I did. Why a seemingly intelligent, conscientious person could turn when affected with alcohol.

One piece of advice I will not forget though is not to do any major changes in the first year. Because of the big changes taking place with our body and definitely our minds, it was good advice!

The pieces of the jigsaw do come together, though, and life is much better without alcohol.

No, it's not a fairytale, after all it's life, but it's not the drama it was when I drank. I can cope and deal with things that would ve drove me to drink in the past, but then , I probably self consciously planned that so I could treat myself with a few bottles at the end of a rubbish day.

I'm writing this down because I just saw Mountainmanbob had reached 8 years sober and he said he is grateful daily, or words similar, and reminded me that I can't afford to get complacent. That I can't drink socially, it was never enough just one of two drinks, and that I never want to be the person I was, with shame and regrets and hangovers.

Life is better, my relationship with my husband is the best ever, he's my best friend. it would've been so different now if I had carried on drinking, if it hadn't killed me first and I had lived to tell the tale.

So id like to take the opportunity to say Thank you to Dee and all the forum greeters and supporters and thank you to all the friends I have made here. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me so I could grow and learn from you all. You all have a special place in my heart.

Thanks for sharing with this post. I have a question about the one year rule regarding major changes. Why do people generally feel you need to wait a year? What is it about how you feel different between say 6 months and 12? Might I be able to consider a major change after 6 months? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, Mags! I always get a lot out of your contributions here on SR. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post!
Old 10-24-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SoberInCLE View Post
Thanks for sharing with this post. I have a question about the one year rule regarding major changes. Why do people generally feel you need to wait a year? What is it about how you feel different between say 6 months and 12? Might I be able to consider a major change after 6 months? Thanks.
It's not a rule, but it's a good suggestion I think.

I went through a lot of changes in my first year. Every time I thought I was done changing, I changed a little more.

Year two and beyond I've been a lot more consistent.

I think the 'rule' reflects that.

If I'd made wholesale changes at 90 days for example I think that would have been very stressful for me and probably would have ended badly.

the other side of the coin is I had a couple of changes I had to make my first year and they turned out ok

If someone feels ready - truly ready - for change before one year, great stuff - your mileage may vary

D
Old 10-24-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mags - It's a joy to share this journey together. Thank you so much for the lovely tribute to SR. I'm not sure where I'd be without the concern, support, & encouragement I've found here. We're never alone, and that's huge.