Notices

Day one

Old 10-23-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

My name is Dan, I'm 41 and I'm an alcoholic and looking to lead a life of sobriety. Every morning I wake up and tell myself I won't drink today, every night after work, I fail. I drink alone because I'm ashamed of how bad I've become. I'm a functioning alcoholic, I work a lot, I even do a good job, but lately I feel like a shell of my former self. I don't find enjoyment in anything except my kids, but the shame I feel of how I'm destroying myself takes even that enjoyment from me.

I'm destroying my health and my marriage, I have 2 wonderful children 9 & 6, I want to be there for them as they grow up, that's not going to happen unless I can stop drinking. I wake up every morning feeling like a piece of garbage, questioning myself on why I keep doing this to myself. My health is definitely suffering. I have visions of my son finding me dead on the couch in the morning, dead from drink, yet I still can't stop. When I'm battling urges I feel like Gollum, a good versus evil conversation with the real me and the Primal brain as they call it.

I just poured out every bottle of alcohol in the house, I'm leaving my money and credit cards at home when I head to work today.

I'm hoping this forum will be a place where I can get some guidance and have conversations about what I'm going through. I've never shared this with anyone, I think that is part of the problem, it feels cathartic even just writing this.

I apologize for the long post. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Daniel welcome to the forum. Lots of support and encouragement on SR.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daniel1974 View Post
My name is Dan, I'm 41 and I'm an alcoholic and looking to lead a life of sobriety. Every morning I wake up and tell myself I won't drink today, every night after work, I fail. I drink alone because I'm ashamed of how bad I've become. I'm a functioning alcoholic, I work a lot, I even do a good job, but lately I feel like a shell of my former self. I don't find enjoyment in anything except my kids, but the shame I feel of how I'm destroying myself takes even that enjoyment from me.

I'm destroying my health and my marriage, I have 2 wonderful children 9 & 6, I want to be there for them as they grow up, that's not going to happen unless I can stop drinking. I wake up every morning feeling like a piece of garbage, questioning myself on why I keep doing this to myself. My health is definitely suffering. I have visions of my son finding me dead on the couch in the morning, dead from drink, yet I still can't stop. When I'm battling urges I feel like Gollum, a good versus evil conversation with the real me and the Primal brain as they call it.

I just poured out every bottle of alcohol in the house, I'm leaving my money and credit cards at home when I head to work today.

I'm hoping this forum will be a place where I can get some guidance and have conversations about what I'm going through. I've never shared this with anyone, I think that is part of the problem, it feels cathartic even just writing this.

I apologize for the long post. Thanks for reading.
Welcome. You can do this! I have two kids and I am trying to get my life back for me then in turn them. The guilt and shame that goes with drinking plain sucks. There is more to life. It just takes time. Hang in there. I am. You can😊
Old 10-23-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, to SR, Dan; glad you found us.

Great job on pouring out the poison.

You never have to feel badly again because of alcohol.

A new chapter in your Book of Life starts today.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Daniel and welcome to SR! You absolutely can quit. It's great that you dumped the alcohol and left money and cards at home. Reach for SR instead when you're having trouble. Do you have support in real life? It's really helpful.

I thought I was functioning too but what a life. Feeling like garbage every morning. Not being fully engaged with my kids. Once I quit it was so much better. Now my husband hasn't quit. He's also an alcoholic and I can see that our children are starting to figure out that there's something wrong with Daddy. My children are 10 and 7.

Stick with it, you won't regret it.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Daniel and welcome. Glad you found us!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daniel1974 View Post
.... When I'm battling urges I feel like Gollum, a good versus evil conversation with the real me and the Primal brain as they call it...

Hi Dan - glad you're here. This forum has helped so many of us stay sober. There are so many lovely and wise people here.

I used to think that there was a good me, and an evil me. Now I just think it was me and my alcoholic voice. I heard a good description the other day, of us starting out life as a clean magnet, which has picked up loads of crap from the junk-yard of alcoholic life. As we get sober we start to let go of all that crap - it does take time though.

I tried to get sober through will-power, and that was a painful experience. I've found that for me 'acceptance' of urges (and emotions) works better than trying to 'battle' them. I had always lived life reacting to everything - all my desires and all my emotions. Now I know that I don't need to 'jump on every train that pulls into the station' and have learnt to breathe through those things, safe in the knowledge that they will pass. A bit like being a flexible reed, which can be stronger than a branch against a strong wind.

Good luck with developing your sobriety plan. Keep posting on here and asking any questions you might have. The people here will always help as much as they can.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Welcome to SR Daniel! There are lots of support 24/7 here. Read and post as much as you like.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't apologize.

Welcome!

I am 43. I have two beautiful daughters, almost 9 and 6.

Nearly two years ago, I made exactly the same decision from exactly the same place as you.

Nearly two years of sobriety later - it has been the best decision of my life, and my life is infinitely better.

You can do this, and we are here to help.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Daniel
Old 10-23-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You might want to join a Class here at SR, Dan. Classes are great ways to offer, and be offered, support from members who are at the same stage of sobriety as you.

Here is the link to the Class of October 2015:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html
Old 10-23-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Dan and welcome.

I'm 49 with three kids and last summer could have written a post almost exactly like yours. Part of my plan the first few weeks was leaving my wallet at home and taking only my driver's license. It helped. Also, I kept protein drinks with me and would down one mid-afternoon when my thoughts first began to turn to the six pack after work. They're filling and took the edge off for sure.

You can free yourself from this Dan! SR is a powerful tool.....use it proactively.

I look forward to seeing you around and wish you the very best.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, daniel1974. I am glad you are here with us. There are a lot of very smart, very supportive people here who know exactly what you are going through. SR has been an amazing source of help for me.

I hope you will let us know how you are doing. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Dan. I'm 41 as well and have a few days sobriety under my belt. I'm learning that life is possible without alcohol. Glad you're here.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, daniel1974!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Daniel! You can do this. Come to these forums often, people here are supportive and so willing to help.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Daniel
Old 10-23-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dan!!
Old 10-23-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is so much support here Daniel. It's a great place for changing lives

Welcome

D
Old 10-23-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you, Daniel. You're never alone - you have us.

You sound determined to get your life back. Be proud of yourself for taking this important step. Let us know how the day went. The first few are rough, but everything gets better.