Notices

I'm concerned.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm concerned.

Reaching out for some advice from the good folks here on SR. Some of you may have read I took my parents to the airport for their Florida vacation. I sent a quick text to my mother to see if they were having good weather and asked how Dad was doing, her response was "not good". My dad is in denial about his oxycodone usage/addiction for his back pain. He recently revealed to me that he has been taking them now for 28 months, as opposed to the 4 months we were all lead to believe (he paid cash at the pharmacy). He also has zero respect for the dosage he is prescribed, he just likes feeling good. If he runs out, he "borrows" some from someone who has plenty. Well, I think he must have run out and is basically dope sick. To the point of my mom is telling me she might fly home today to get him in a hospital. To be clear, my dad has never been a drug user, he had an extremely successful career. He probably drinks too much, but this oxycodone has got him pretty bad. He's 72 years old for christ sake. This is not good and I am worried. I think he needs professional help to get off these things. I used the opportunity to let my mom know that our family is rife with secrets and lies and it has to stop. I informed her I know all of the secrets and all of the lies and we are going to sit down and discuss them when they get home. I know the truth about everything because my dad comes over lit up like a Christmas tree on oxycodone and tells me everything. He trusts me. Anyway, thanks for listening and that's my predicament today.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that, addiction can definitley creep up later in life. Pain med abuse/addiction is widespread in the elderly/older population unfortunately.

As you clearly know from your own battles with addiction though, you can't fix this. You can of course offer support but he'll need to take the initiative to get off the pills. My grandfather had the same thing after a back surgery and was hooked on meds for several years. He did finally get off them while in his late 70s though so it's definitley possible.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Totally 2nd Scott's post
Old 10-23-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's stories like your dads that remind me anyone can get dependent, even addicted, to a med like Oxy.

I know you feel like you want to 'do' something, but I agree with Scott on this.

You can certainly try to talk with your Dad (I think you've tried before, yeah?) but I didn't listen to anyone until I accepted my predicament.

Just like you and I found our way Jeff, I hope your dad will too.

best wishes for you and your parents

D
Old 10-23-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really sorry to hear this about your Dad. We'd like to think something like this couldn't happened to them in their golden years, but it can. Be supportive of his inpatient rehab, but keep the focus on your own recovery.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's stories like your dads that remind me anyone can get dependent, even addicted, to a med like Oxy.

I know you feel like you want to 'do' something, but I agree with Scott on this.

You can certainly try to talk with your Dad (I think you've tried before, yeah?) but I didn't listen to anyone until I accepted my predicament.

Just like you and I found our way Jeff, I hope your dad will too.

best wishes for you and your parents

D
I agree Dee, he has to find his own way, I just know how painful it is going to be. He is my father, so I care for him unconditionally. Like most things in my life right now, I will just be patient, supportive, and see how it plays out.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not sure I understand..does your Dad need the pain meds legitimately?
I am sure you are right about your Dad being dope sick but wouldn't it be better that he see a doctor there in Florida. Safer than travelling on a plane...
My mum became dependant on Oxys and Fentanyl for several years while waiting for a hip replacement, she was in her 90's...
Once she had the hip replacement she was slowly and successfully withdrawn from all the pain meds except panadol.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope your Dad finds his way, Jeff.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dope sick is no joke. He probably should see someone there. I hope it all works out.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hope your dad draws a line under this Jeff!!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck with this Jeff. Like you said, being patient, supportive and seeing how it plays out is about all you can do.

Most of us here have had to realize we have to make these decisions for ourselves, loved ones can support, but need to be careful not to cross the line of being pushy.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
I am not sure I understand..does your Dad need the pain meds legitimately?
I am sure you are right about your Dad being dope sick but wouldn't it be better that he see a doctor there in Florida. Safer than travelling on a plane...
My mum became dependant on Oxys and Fentanyl for several years while waiting for a hip replacement, she was in her 90's...
Once she had the hip replacement she was slowly and successfully withdrawn from all the pain meds except panadol.
Hi, he has a legitimate need for his medication. I guess he is going to have a procedure done that will basically cauterize the nerve so the pain does not radiate anymore.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck Jeff. Hope your Dad gets sorted out soon. That same procedure was recommended to me and luckily while I was mulling it over my insurance approved a professional grade TENS machine. It helped me a lot (all my experience here, no medical advice ) However, when I quit drinking every previous injury I had flared up. I wonder if it's the same doing cold turkey on opiates?

After a couple weeks sober the pains lessened, and my back pain is easily controlled again with the TENS. Probably that procedure is in my future sometime but apparently if it's successful it can be a permanent solution. I was told to go in hurting, to do things to set off the pain so they could make sure the right nerve was ablated. Also not to take even an ibuprofen for a few days prior (refused opiates unless I was traveling a distance on a plane(ouch) because I thought I would abuse them).

I wish you both the best. You are a good son.