Notices

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Old 10-22-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Exactly a week ago from today I woke up in a swanky hotel room in Vegas about 1pm in the afternoon. The sun was squeezing through the crack in the curtain as searing pain was flooding my head.
I felt like a pile of warmed up sh*t. I began the oh so familair and futile exercise of trying to peice together what happened the night before.
Immediately I felt dread. Didn't want to look there. Feel sick.
What happened? Empty stomach...very strong drinks...perfect recipe for disaster that I never see coming (how is that??!).
Lucklily for me, my husband was with me and unluckily for me, he filled me in on all the gory details. This included meeting people and conversations I can't remember..a very stressful drunken walk back to our hotel in heels and apparantly me getting very upset with him over something and hitting him (very unlike me..I'm a happy and loving drunk). He has no idea what that was about as I was absolutely incoherant. He eventually succeeded in getting me back to the room where I obviously passed out.
I am a successful, confident and attractive 48 year old woman. WTF was I doing???
I thought about it very hard all that day on the limited brain power I had. Finally it came to me. I was doing what I've been doing since I was around 16. Drinking.
You know that thing...it's the thing that we grow up and look forward to doing. Our parents showed us the golden light of booze and it looked glorious. But it really isn't funny 30 years later.
Anyway, I won't go on too much about that right now, but my alcohol intake last year has increased. Maybe due to moving to the US where the cocktails are so good and drinking much more strong liquor than I have been used to...plus wine etc..

On the day in Vegas I could of had a drink to 'level me out', but I felt so bad that I just couldn't. That night I went back home to LA (it felt like the longest journey in the world as we were delayed after missing the morning flight due to my state) I went and ran a bath. Then I put on my dressing gown, sat down and cried for a while. My husband comforted me and right then I told him that enough was enough. I had an alcohol problem and I stopped drinking.
I had a bad night physically and I got the sweats so much that I shook at certain points and hardly slept.
That was Day One. I'm on day 7 now. I have not touched a drop.
I've had support of a very loving (and relieved) husband who's done it with me. My best friend stopped drinking 2 years ago and she's messaging me all the time with love and support. I haven't been to an AA meeting yet, but I may well do. Not ruling it out, but not ready for labels and doctrines quite yet. If I f**k up, I'll pull in more support, but for right now, this very minute, the sun is shining and my head is clear. My appetite has returned and I feel energised.
I actually feel happy-ish. I realize that I haven't felt like this in a long time without booze. Since I had my baby 6 years ago. That's the last time I was really sober.
Very very early days, but I'm discovering that drinking liquid that contains no alcohol means I am confident I won't behave like a complete tw*t and embarrass myself anymore. To personally revealing social media posts that I have to delete the next day, to falling over in front of a crowd.
The pride in my husband's eyes every day spurs me on.

Good luck to you all in this journey of freedom and enlightenment. Including me!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nicely written post
Congrats on your week - awesome

D
Old 10-22-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, peagreenboat; glad you found us.

Hope that you find sobriety as rewarding as I have found it to be.

Congratulations on Day 7.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congratulations on 7 days!

I'm glad you have the support of your husband. The support you'll get here is also going to be invaluable. Keep it up!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Way to go on your decision pea green and congratulations on 7 days

Obviously there will be times when it's tough but I have never heard of anyone who has regretted waking up without a hangover

Good luck
Old 10-22-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Congrats on 7 days! It all sounds pretty familiar. Thank goodness you have supportive people in your life. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi PGB -- welcome! You've come to the right place ... lots of support here. Congratulations on 7 days and making the choice you made.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to have you with us, peagreenboat (love the avie).

You are in good company here. We all understand & will help! I was in a similar 'boat' when I joined SR. I had lost all control & the ability to manage my drinking. Each time I picked up, I had no idea where it would end. Sometimes dangerous things happened. It's so good to be free of it.

Congrats on your week sober.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. You are in the right place for lots of support and understanding.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome PGB. Sounds like you have a good support system to lean on. You can do this.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You'll be surprised how delicious Diet Coke with a squeeze of lemon is
Old 10-22-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. You've come to the right place. You don't ever have to feel the way you did in Vegas again. Congratulations on your 7 days.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have so many bad hangover memories from Las Vegas. Enjoyed the read, and welcome .
Old 10-22-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the owl and the pussycat will be so pleased!!!

this will make for a MUCH smoother said in the peagreenboat....

I've lived that Vegas story many times... that ride back through the desert to LA, dragging my shame and my misery along with me...

I've been back to Vegas the past couple of years for 10 days, sober. What a triumph to put those experiences behind me.

You can, too... It's so great that you and your husband are in it together.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good on You!!! Congrats on a week.. I been pretty much the same boozing for 30 yrs..day 18 sober today and it feels good.perhaps we both just grew up and realised WTF are we doing to ourselves!!!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Very inspiring and well written post. It sounds like you are being very honest with yourself and I believe that will help you tremendously. With out alcohol you can be that good wife and good Mom.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good for you on a week! That's great!

It's great that you have support from your husband and your friend. Keep going!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on your week
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Haha...here is a poem I wrote 9 years ago I found on the Interweb...it should have given me a clue!! Especially as I wrote...til the next time! Oh the irony...

Red wine fills up my white-ness,
It's the height of very politeness,
When I'm drunk and fall,
Or get into a brawl
My not-self is there in all brightness

It's a bit hazy when I wake in the morning,
Is that dusk or the break of the dawning?
And who the hell are you
At 6ft 2''?
Quite a night by the rate of my yawning...

-the end-
-til the next time-