Notices

Worried and scared.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried and scared.

I'm Tania have never really beenjoyed a heavy drinker until recently. Thursday night I made a stupid decision and drove
home after a few drinks. I have never dont this before, and never plan to
again. Anyway I apparently hit a fire hydrant on the way home but didnt
even realize. By the time I got home the cops caught up with me and got me
for leaving the scene of an accident not reporting an accident wreck less
driving and a DUI. I went to court and it got postponed. But I know whats
going to happen. I will loose my license for some time I am hoping that it
will only be 3 months but I don\'t know. I work in a school and I know if
they find out I will loose my job. Please. I'm humiliated, and
devastating by this and if I loose my license I will loose my job. I was
wondering if you knew of any companies or had any leads as to companies that
would give me a second chance and hire me? I thought you of all people
would understand what I am going through. I have to work I'm a mother of 4 Again can you help me?
Old 10-21-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you have to go through this... Don't have any practical suggestions, unfortunately. Just hang in there.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You will need an attorney to get through this. The attorney can also help you get a temporary license that will allow you to drive to and from work, to the grocery store, etc. during certain hours of the day.

I know this is terrifying, but please...take some deep breaths. You are going to get through this. (((HUGS)))
Old 10-21-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tania

I don't know anything about DUI laws or schools or companies that might hire you.
Maybe someone else will

Do you want to quit drinking for good?

D
Old 10-21-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you want to stop drinking, we're here to offer support. Are you ready to do that?

I don't have any ideas about companies that would hire you. I think it would just depend on the situation. You can get through this.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Get a good DUI lawyer like now. They will help you take steps to reduce the consequences of this incident. It will be expensive but well worth every penny if you get a good lawyer.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As for someone battling DUI's now I agree with Suki. You're going to HAVE to get an attorney. If you don't get your own the court appointed attorney will just tell you to plead no contest then you will be at the mercy of the court. I'd assume they will throw everything at you so you will have to hire your own. It is expensive for sure....my cases have ran me about 4,000 . I live in NV.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear of your troubles...how terribly stressful! Are you sure you will lose your job because you got a DUI? For many employers what you do during your time off doesn't impact your job and maybe there is another way you can get to work...? Can you get a ride with someone or take a bus, ride a bike? Do you have any family, friends or neighbors that would help you out? I am not much help in the DUI law area and I've never had one. As far as companies that hire someone with a history of DUI, each company is very different, but these days many/most(?) companies require you to pass a urine drug screen and I think perhaps alcohol is one of the drugs that is commonly included in that, but don't quote me...

hang in there...
Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome T
Old 10-22-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This sounds like a "wake up call". Consider the good side of this. No one got hurt. And, as you say, if the word gets out you may lose your job. But the long term stays bright for you if you are an alcoholic and if you get yourself into sobriety. It's an illness but that doesn't mean that you can get rid of it merely by sitting back and having the doctors "cure" you. You need a plan, try AA, and anyway a plan which will enable you to get the support and help of other alcoholics with more sobriety. If you do this, then, like so many other folks, you will once again have fine job prospects and a bright and happy future. What could be a safer bet than hiring a person who is really successful in sobriety. I'll bet that there are a lot of folks out there who are in charge of hiring who are recovered or recovering alcoholics, just like you. So deal with the short term problems, work and hope for long term success on this and the nightmare will be over. Good luck!

W.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi there!

I dunno if you came here because a bunch of drunks will probably know how to get you out of this, or because you want to quit drinking?

We can definitely give you support if you feel you have a problem
Old 10-22-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
You will need an attorney to get through this. The attorney can also help you get a temporary license that will allow you to drive to and from work, to the grocery store, etc. during certain hours of the day.

I know this is terrifying, but please...take some deep breaths. You are going to get through this. (((HUGS)))
I agree, if you are in the U.S. and if this is your first offense, you should be able to get through this without losing your job. It will be expensive and you may have to wear an ankle monitor, but they should give you a work permit. If not a work permit, could you arrange transportation to and from work temporarily? Carpool with someone or take public transportation? Wish you the best.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

P.S. Do you think you are an alcoholic or have "problems with alcohol"? Or are you "completely normal" and "just had too much to drink"? Only you can decide that one. It took me forty years to convince myself that it was serious enough to quit entirely. I thought I was intelligent but as far as alcohol was concerned, I was a slow learner. If I'd had access to something like SoberRecovery it might have improved my chances.

W.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
P.S. Do you think you are an alcoholic or have "problems with alcohol"? Or are you "completely normal" and "just had too much to drink"? Only you can decide that one. It took me forty years to convince myself that it was serious enough to quit entirely. I thought I was intelligent but as far as alcohol was concerned, I was a slow learner. If I'd had access to something like SoberRecovery it might have improved my chances. W.
Me too.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tania!!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello and thank you everyone. I do have a lawyer and he will hopefully help me. They don't have those types of ******** in NJ you either have a license or you don't. I am hoping that I will just loose it for 3 months I think I could deal with that. And thank GOD its only a misdemeanor and not a felony but still. I'm worried about my job because I have a job where I have to drive sometimes. . Thank you again for all the encouraging words .