I think he finally hit bottom

Old 09-07-2004, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think he finally hit bottom

Three weeks ago I had my husband committed because he was totally out of control. It was extremely hard but I just knew it was something I had to do. He spent 15 days in the hospital for a medical detox, was very ill and had a couple of seizures while at the hospital. The doctors told me that had I not called, my husband most likely would have died.

The social worker at the hospital told him they wanted to transfer him to a rehab center but it would have to be voluntary. AH told me he wanted to first come home for a day or two and go to a different rehab center - not the one affiliated with the hospital. I knew I was taking a risk but allowed AH to come home under one condition - if he did not seek rehab for recovery he would not be allowed to stay in our home. Well to my surprise hubby actually did it. He came home, called the rehab center on his own, made all the arrangements and has been there for over a week.

My AH has been in rehab before and has had bouts of sobriety for years so I know better than to think that all is well just because he went to rehab. I was able to see him on Sunday and can just sense that this time it's different. He's actually taking his recovery seriously and is doing it voluntarily. I still can't allow myself to get too excited about his seeking recovery but I truly believe that he has finally hit his bottom and really wants to do something about it. It very sad that he had to come so close to death to realize how sick he is.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am happy for you and for him that he chose rehab and seems sincere. Although there are no guarantees for anyone, the fact that he is making wise choices, and has already tasted sobriety is very much in his favour.

My suggestion is to use this time to work your own program, regain your balance and learn to work through your issues to help you in the future. Enjoy the peace of today, enjoy the fact that he is trying and taking psoitive action, and don't try to second guess tomorrow. Tomorrow will unfold as it may, regardless of whether or not you worry about it, so don't waste negative emotion when you have so much to feel positive about today.

Hugs and Prayers for both of you
Ann
Old 09-07-2004, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear that your AH seems to have gotten to that point where he really is seeking recovery. Though I do understand your hesitation about believing it just yet.
But as was already suggested - I hope that you take this time to really focus on you and decide on your personal boundaries and be prepared to make sure those are followed.
I wish you both well.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have often been scared lately that my partner is almost to that stage - I smetimes wonder if I should call to have him taken away - how did you know - how bad does it have to get to know someones life is on the line???
Old 09-08-2004, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

right there with you

Marriedtoit, I just wanted to you know you are not alone. My AH moved out last week, had a four day binge and finally hit rock bottom. He's been out of rehab for a few months, but never acknowledged that his life had become unmanageable...and he always thought he had "one more drink" in him. The day following his binge, my AH was very sick from all the drinking, but he realized that if he kept on keeping on w/ the alcohol, he was going to die. He called me yesterday and said things I have never heard. He even acknowledged all the pain he has put me through and sincerely apologized! Like you, I am still apprehensive, but my gut tells me he's got it this time around (praise God!). First the first time since he got out of rehab, I finally feel like there is hope.

p.s. His hitting rock bottom was a total answer to prayer - when he moved out, I prayed that he would do whatever it took to hit rock bottom and clean himself up. I didn't realize it would only take four days...(though I say that with some reservation - we're not getting rid of his apartment until he has proven his commitment to his recovery).