Notices

First session and insomnia

Old 10-20-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

First session and insomnia

I went to my first counseling session this evening, it went well, and I was happy with the information discussed at that meeting.

I have found out that I am far from the worst when it comes to how far you can go with your addictions. This was a group session, and even though I drank A LOT, I was fortunate enough not to have gotten myself into some of the situations that a lot of those people find themselves in.

One thing that is bugging me is this insomnia...I have always had a hard time getting to sleep (once I get there a bomb could hit my house and it would not wake me up), but it seems worse now that I am sober; perhaps it is just because I am more aware of it now.

For example, my last drink was Friday morning (1am "ish") and I am pretty sure I was hungover/withdrawing through Sunday from that last binge. So that entails lots of laying in bed, but not resting and/or sleeping much at all.

I woke up at 7am on Sunday and did not get back to sleep until 6pm on Monday. I used melatonin on Monday because I did not want to stay up any longer. I woke up at my usual time this morning of 5:30am and I am STILL wide awake (12:45am). I knew I should have taken melatonin again this evening, but I was hoping to be able to fall asleep by 10ish.

Is insomnia just part of the "process" of getting used to being sober? Or is this just a continuation of my messed up sleep schedule and I am paying more attention to it now? I am thinking that my mind is just not used to my routine yet without alcohol affecting my brain in the evening. ..I hope.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be great.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It took me while to get to where I slept well. Melatonin helps me a lot.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia's pretty common in early recovery.

I didn't take any meds or supplements, and my sleep issues took about 10 days to settle down.

D
Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

Thanks guys, I will just wait it out, it may be a long week or so...
Old 10-21-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wel be here to lean on bud