Notices

Two year ago

Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two year ago

Early this morning I drove my retired parents to the airport so they could go on vacation in Florida as I have many times. Two years ago, alcohol had its teeth into me so bad, that I went to their house (having access to it and knowing no one was home) to drink. I did it because my wife would not know where to find me, they had a nice TV, and I could be left alone to drink all by myself....just the way I liked it. Eventually I had to go home (when sober and ready), fess up to where I had been and all that good stuff. I share this story only because it reminds me how bad things had gotten. If I hadn't found SR and had encouragement from everyone here, I just might be there tonight doing the same thing. So yeah, SR works.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thomas, you aint alone brother.
I used to go to our rec property by myself. Always had a reason to go a day or two early. Would drink myself stupid, get rid of the empties and then wait for the wife and family to arrive.
Or substitute any other opportunity to drink by myself. Always had a reason or an excuse.
Us drunks are sneaky liars. Trouble is we always thought that no one knew what we were up to. Wrong. They knew.
Congrats on your sobriety. Its two years for me coming up in November and I feel great.
Rick
Old 10-20-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're no longer in that brainspace Jeff

D
Old 10-20-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I avoided having to hide alcohol from my wife by not getting married and drinking alone in my apartment for years with no social life. This ensured I would never have to hide my drinking from my wife (who didn't exist). Not a recommended approach.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job on getting out of where you were Jeff. I agree, SR works for those who work SR into their lives.

I used to go to my parents place too and for the exact same reasons you did. So glad those days are behind me.. behind me, but not forgotten. As soon as we forget, we are destined to repeat the past.

Glad you are doing well
Old 10-21-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's deep Thomas....I'm glad you're here.

I used to drink just to be "normal" enough to go out and do things, socialize with friends, go to the store, etc. Didn't feel like a problem at the time, being sober felt like the problem. I can relate when you mention the recollection of how bad it used to be. Pure madness.

Thanks for sharing
Old 10-21-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, that's one of the huge side benefits of sobriety- being present in your life and useful for a change! Congrats!
Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post. those were the days. good reminder.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Jeff