Notices

Nervous New Guy

Old 10-20-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous New Guy

Hey there...It's my first time posting. I became sober 7 days ago...and it's been incredibly difficult. Lots of different kinds of struggles. I'm not exactly sure what others say on their first posts, so I'll keep this one rather simple. Feeling alone right now, because I don't think my inner circle fully understands what this challenge is like. Any guidance/support would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rookie42
Old 10-20-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We understand. This first couple weeks is very difficult. And no, friends and family who don't have a problem with drinking will not understand.

You can join in the Class of October thread here on the Newcomers forum. Here's the link :

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Welcome, spend some time here - it's a good, safe place with a lot of support.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Rookie42,

Welcome to these forums where you're among friends. Wish I could say I'm a rookie at trying to quit, but sadly I'm a seasoned veteran at trying to stay sober and then striking out. Still, I'm in the game for real this time, and with 7 days under your belt clearly you are too. Check in here when you need to.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hello rookie, glad you joined. You'll find lots of good information and advice here. And yes, the first week can be rough. It does get better. I'm relatively new too, I'm 37 days in. You can do this and everyone here certainly understand what you are going through and can help.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rookie. You've come to a great place that understands where you are in this fight. You're definitely not alone, we have all been in your shoes, in one way or another.

Stick around and lean on us as much as you need.

Welcome aboard.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Rookie42 - I'm also very new here and on day 2. Hope you feel proud of getting to 7 days. I understand that it's difficult to raise your head and post on here - I feel it too - but have already had some lovely thoughtful and insightful responses from others and it genuinely seems to be a safe and supportive place. Welcome!
Old 10-20-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Rookie
Old 10-20-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Rookie. 7 days is great. Take care of yourself: eat healthy foods, get plenty of sleep, and if you are able, start some form of exercise. And don't be surprised if you feel cranky. It's all a part of your physical recovery.

Read more here and learn other strategies to help you on your way to long term sobriety.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Read around and post often!
Old 10-20-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh...thank you for the responses. I'm so touched. You all are so supportive, and incredibly encouraging. Much needed...thank you so much.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rookie

congrats on your week! Look forward to seeing you around and hearing more about your story

D
Old 10-20-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rookie, You are never alone. We all understand what you're going through.

A week is wonderful - and things will get better, we promise. Those first days are rough, but posting here helps relieve the anxiety. Glad to have you with us.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Rookie!

Congratulations on 7 days, that excellent keep coming back, you'll find lots of support, advice and friendly faces. We've all been there.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You say you feel alone right now. If you visit, read and post on this site regularly you will see that you are definitely not alone. Granted it is an online forum, but this place was the necessary piece of the puzzle to get things straightened out.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm new too. I'm at the end of Day 3 (really glad the day is almost over!). This group of people is absolutely amazing. I really felt alone as well and so confused until I found this place. Glad you found it too!
Old 10-20-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm on about day seven. Gallons of water, working out, and NOT stressing has been hugely beneficial to me. Oh, vitamins too.
Welcome 😃 aboard!
Old 10-20-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi welcome!!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by joeconrad View Post
Hey Rookie42,

Welcome to these forums where you're among friends. Wish I could say I'm a rookie at trying to quit, but sadly I'm a seasoned veteran at trying to stay sober and then striking out. Still, I'm in the game for real this time, and with 7 days under your belt clearly you are too. Check in here when you need to.
Thanks for the feedback and your honesty. For the record, I am someone who can appreciate the baseball terminology. 😀
Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
Hi Rookie. You've come to a great place that understands where you are in this fight. You're definitely not alone, we have all been in your shoes, in one way or another.

Stick around and lean on us as much as you need.

Welcome aboard.
I really appreciate the kind words. Thank you for the support. I can already tell that this is a good place to come.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Hello rookie, glad you joined. You'll find lots of good information and advice here. And yes, the first week can be rough. It does get better. I'm relatively new too, I'm 37 days in. You can do this and everyone here certainly understand what you are going through and can help.
Thanks...I'm really learning how important it is to be around others who are fighting the same fight. It's pretty neat when you are understood.