Help! Son at home Detoxing from Heroin

Old 10-19-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! Son at home Detoxing from Heroin

My son is 22. We just found out he is using Heroin. I have him here at my house now so he is about an hour away from his dealers and user friends. Now I need to know what to do....How do I help him detox?

Friday he went to the Dr. and told her that he was using....she gave him some meds...the last night he went out and got high. So today my other son went and picked him up. He is now on my couch passed out. We wrote down all his dealers number and reset his phone. He has really no clue on where he is and no car, so I think we are okay with him not trying to leave.

What do I do now? I don't think he will let us take him to a detox or the hospital, but if he gets bad I will call 911.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Loved ones should never have to watch detoxing and it should always be done under the supervision of medical professionals. Blood pressure needs to be monitored due to dangerous spiking. And, frequently they have hallucinations. Trust your gut, and call 911 if things don't look right.

Since he's seen the doctor and was prescribed meds, he should take them as directed. I'm sure the doctor advised things like Imodium AD, watered-down Gatorade, Pedialyte popsicles, and fresh fruit to ease some of the discomfort and keep him hydrated. A Jacuzzi, or even a warm bath will help ease some of the cramping and jimmy legs.

But, again if there is any way to get him into the hospital or detox unit, it would be the safest thing for all involved.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about your struggle with your 22 yo son. Be strong and set some boundaries now. I was where you are s few years ago and I'm shock that my son was using heroin. Off I sent him to rehab being so naive thinking he was going to be cured in 30 days. I tried everything and believed what he was saying about wanting to quit. I wanted to save my 19 yo son. Now we've been through prison and relapses, one bad hospitalization, intensive outpatient therapy, and currently on methadone for a year. Please set your boundaries early on. My son is still struggling and the worst part is the addict mind is not easy to deal with. If you don't follow through with what you say you're going to do, he will try to take advantage. Drugs are not easy to overcome. He has to do the work himself to find recovery. Let him take responsibility for his sobriety. Good luck and lots of hugs
Old 10-21-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was exactly where you are 4 months ago. My 24 yo finally admitted he had to make a change and went to rehab for thirty days, long term recovery for thirty more and is in his second month at a halfway house. He came home to visit last weekend and it was so good to see him smile and hear his laugh once again. He has been sad and distant for so long.
March to July were really bad months and I was afraid we would lose him before he wanted to change and asked for help. He tried to stop on his own several times but he would get to a point then go find something.
I pray your son will want to start over and I pray mine will stay with his program.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be careful. When he wakes up and while he is detoxing, he will be desperate for drugs. Desperate enough to steal. Desperate enough to let no one get in his way of getting what he needs. Don't let your phone out of your hands for even a second, it will be your life line. Personally, I think you need to reevaluate your need for professional help.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fight, how are you? How is your son doing?
Old 10-24-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

for an addict on the hunt for drugs ... he doesn't need phone numbers. He would only need one number of a friend who can provide the numbers needed. Planes trains and automobiles to get there. Please remember to protect your keys, money, credit cards, jewelry, etc. Anything that can be pawned. Including gift cards.

He needs professional help, usually an agreement to detox is just to pacify the people pushing for him to quit. It doesn't last or never really gets started.

Please think about boundaries that you will follow thru on. I know it's your son but read here and learn quickly. Note the stickies at the top of this forum. Read Co-Dependent No More by Melody Beattie. Search for a meeting near you - CODA, NaRANON, Alanon.

I did this for 3 years with my ABF. He died this past spring. It's a long and painful road. Best to you, keep coming back. Hugs momma, Joie
Old 10-24-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Please keep in mind that your other son needs a normal home life, not what drug addiction lays on the table.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Please don't let your guard down, I'm sorry but this is not going to be easy...
Old 10-28-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too went through this for many years with my son and sadly it was ME, in the end, who almost died. My son has been in and out of the revolving door of addiction/recovery for 20 years and missing for more than 11 years, lost in his addiction somewhere.

Your son should go to detox, it's the only safe place to do this. Then, if he is willing, a rehab would be a good plan. The Salvation Army offers a free program that is very good and long term.

If you decide to go forward with your son at home, please listen to everyone here and hide your valuables, your medications, your bank cards and check books and find some good support for yourself. Keep coming here, we are all walking with you, also Al-anon, Nar-anon and CoDA have been huge help to many of us here.

Sorry to say, this may very well be a long journey, please make sure to take very good care of yourself along the way.

Hugs from one mama's heart to another's.