Notices

Day one

Old 10-19-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

Day one... Supper excited to make this change. At least for now. I know it's going to be work but even with the shakes this morning I'm feeling positive. Strange to not feel hung over but a whole other kind of fog. Thanks for any advice you all might have.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Choula. I was I your shoes 2 weeks ago. Been a daily wine drinker for 30 years and only given up twice in that time. I would have consumed easily about 12-15 bottles of wine a week, it is hard to say exactly as I was buying casked wine with 4 litres in each. Anyway, after binging and fighting with my partner (a social drinker) the time came and I decided to quit for good this time. I just turned 50 and something had to happen or I would not see 60 or beyond.
I felt pretty good just after a couple of no drinking days. My sleep was bad until about day 5-6. First week is the worst after that it gets easier. I am not attending AA for personal reasons but use SR as my motivator and as a support network and it works for me. I log on to SR several times a day and post daily. Today at day 15 I feel so much better, I sleep very well and actually feel relaxed and rested when I wake up. My attention span is better, I don't get anxious and I am sure I am more fun to be around as well.
Cholula, if you really are determined to do this you can do it. Ride the first week through, busy yourself and stay away from tempting situations such as drinking friends etc for at least the first week and you are pretty much set. Replace your drinking behaviour with something else. Walking, swimming just something..Good luck. Before you know it you will have double digits sober and on your way to a sober more fulfilling life.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Cholula excellent decision making a day 1 youl find tons of support here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-19-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Crazy... I was a wine drinker as well. 3 to 6 ( and some times more) bottles a day. I used to drink vodka and in my mind switching to wine made me feel like less of a drinker. But I took a day off last week and started exhibiting withdrawal symptoms. Mostly sweats and pounding heart with shortness of breath. Told my self I was done with all this nonsense last night. I'm 39 and my youngest child is just turned three. Im doing this for my health cus I wanna be around for him as long as I can. Plus the alcohol fog I had every day made me feel like I have been missing his life as well as mine. I have not told my family about stopping... I want to see if they will notice and say anything... (maybe not the best idea) and like you I will not be doing AA for maybe some of the same reasons but I already feel like the forum is holding my hand. I know it won't be easy but I'm just so ready and excited to not drink any more.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was the same. heart palpitations, anxiety attacks, sweaty, shaky, blood shot eyes etc.. I took loads of sick leave and my pattern was always a Monday and a Tuesday...The symptoms are all alcohol withdrawal and they will go away in a week. I have no more physical cravings and my heart is beating to a normal rhythm. I wish I had done this when I was 40!!! I think it would be a good idea to just let your family know that you are going to have a cleanse and stay of the booze for a while ( you know its forever) and get healthy. I think it is important to be open about quitting , no more hiding. You will need their support as much as the support here on SR. This way it is all out in the open. That worked/s for me.
It is so much better to be part of life and function normally. I hated those hangovers and the cravings from the moment I woke up. On the weekends I used to just have one glass of wine to settle my nerves, yeah right one, like a bottle and I would be plastered come 10am..I have given the weekends back to my partner and myself. I am not in a constant haze any longer and it is so much better. It aint easy at first but it gets a lot easier day by day and its totally worth it.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Cholula! I am on day 2! And it feels great. I agree, this message board has been just the right thing to find at the right time. Good luck to you, you can do it!
Old 10-19-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Binge wine drinker here too.
You can do it xx
Old 10-19-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ya I was getting so bad that I would hide a bottle for the morning. I work early so my drinking would start at 6am and last all day. Then I would really drink at night once I got home. To think I have been driving like that... Gees what an idiot. I was at the point where I didn't feel drunk any more even after bottles of wine. But if I stopped drinking I felt like garbage so I would just keep going. Riding the sober wave today is nuts knowing that I'll feel better after a few days. Also it's so nice to not feel the urge to buy on my way home tonight and trying to plan my days around drinking. I just can't believe I have been living this way. Even though I don't feel good physically today the load off of my mental state is making for a shining attitude.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cholula View Post
Ya I was getting so bad that I would hide a bottle for the morning. I work early so my drinking would start at 6am and last all day. Then I would really drink at night once I got home. To think I have been driving like that... Gees what an idiot. I was at the point where I didn't feel drunk any more even after bottles of wine. But if I stopped drinking I felt like garbage so I would just keep going. Riding the sober wave today is nuts knowing that I'll feel better after a few days. Also it's so nice to not feel the urge to buy on my way home tonight and trying to plan my days around drinking. I just can't believe I have been living this way. Even though I don't feel good physically today the load off of my mental state is making for a shining attitude.
I hear ya, its crazy looking back and it dawns on you " what the hell was I thinking and doing?!?!"
Things will lever out, I'm glad to hear you're doing well mentally
Old 10-19-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Right there with you! Wine is my thing too, and I'm on Day 2.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Choula
you'll find a lot of support here, and some good ideas too

D
Old 10-19-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome choula!! Best support and encouragement on SR!
Old 10-19-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Next step is to find all the empty bottles. That's going to be days in the making. My trash is going to tell the real story this week. When they started putting wine in those cartons it made it even easier. I bet I have 100 rolled up cartons in my work shop.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cholula!!

Time is a great healer, the body will adjust and heal, give it time!!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Cholula - it's great to meet you. I love your positivity. You're going to do this.

I was drinking all day when I found SR. I swore I'd never drink in the morning, but there I was - before & during work. It was a nightmare, & I was so thankful to get free. The fog will lift. You can do it.