Why. ...

Old 10-18-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why. ...

Can't I get past day 3? ?
Old 10-18-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Because you choose to drink is the answer it doesn't have to be that way tho ?

What is your plan
Old 10-19-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I could never get past day three either. For me, I figured out in the end it was because I wasn't prepared to make any real changes, or reach out for help.

What do you think is holding you back Badger?

D
Old 10-19-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fear? Force of habit? It isn't easy changing your life especially when the AV has you under its spell. But it can be done!
Old 10-19-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What happens on Day 3? that's the key to making it happen!!

For me there was always something that cropped up that kept pushing my Sobriety to the wayside, once I started dealing with those things, I started to make some progress, and go further and further!!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me it was relying on willpower alone
Old 10-19-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Not to be argumentative, but I dismiss your premise. You CAN get past day 3, you just haven't YET.

Day 3 was hard for me, too. It's because I was addicted to alcohol and the anxiety I felt because I had not had a drink for 3 days was very uncomfortable.

People here at SR, people who KNEW what it was like, told me it would get better if I could hold out and not drink. They were right.

Your next day 3 is coming. What will you do when you feel like drinking? Plan for it now.

You can do this!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How badly do you want to stop? I mean really, deep down, have you convinced yourself yet that this is something you absolutely need to do? Because if it's just a vague feeling that you ought to stop, that's always going to struggle when the big guns of your AV start firing excuses at you for why you should keep drinking.

Maybe try different approaches if the one your using (if any?) isn't working. Read the Crash Course for AVRT, read Allen Carr's book on how to control your drinking. And/or go to an AA meeting if you haven't tried that yet. Read all the wonderful advice on SR and learn from others how they did it. Choose an approach that makes sense for you, and make a plan.

But most importantly, you need to want this more than anything you've ever wanted. And work hard to achieve it. But I can tell you that it will be worth it. Life without alcohol is genuinely better. Think back to when you were a kid, before you first discovered booze. How much fun you used to have at parties completely sober. Sometimes I feel like that kid again. Experiencing life first hand instead of through the haze of alcohol. I'm laughing out loud more, enjoying reading, playing music, hanging out with my kids more. Don't let your AV convince you a lifetime of sacrifice and misery lies ahead if you quit the booze. That's a lie. It may take a while before you start to feel the benefits but remain patient. You will feel them. And then your only regret will be that you didn't do this sooner.

Good luck on your journey.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of us have a harder time than others. Dee knows how long it took me. In desperation I finally kept adding things and am now nearing 15 months. What's apparently "wrong" with you is strong addiction. You can overcome this but willpower alone won't cut it. I have a long list of steps I took before I finally started making progress.

I had to work on letting go of the shame feelings, did an IOP for 3 months, AA, etc etc. The IOP kept me accountable (they tested us before each meeting) so by the time it was over, I had been sober long enough that I was on the right road.

You, too, can do this - make sure you get what you need. I was desperate enough that if IOP hadn't worked, I would have done inpatient rehab.

What are you willing to do?
Old 10-19-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 3: Long enough that you feel you've accomplished something and deserve a reward but not so long that you hesitate at destroying what you have invested in and built.

If you find the secret, let me know.

KP