Notices

question

Old 10-18-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question

hello all.. I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience early on. I have noticed that my focus seems everywhere lately. I cant seem to sit still and cant seem to be very interested in much of anything at all. I am 86 days sober and it seems like all I do is pace around the place waiting for another AA meeting.. cant even sit still long enough to watch a football game. any comments appreciated as always.. thx
Old 10-18-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have shared often regarding how very hard it was for me to focus in early sobriety.

It was so bad that I wondered if I would ever be able to think and see straight again.

The good news -- for most everyone in sobriety it get's better with time away from the drink.

Hang in there and don't leave before the miracle happens.

MM
Old 10-18-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gonzo, I wondered if it were ever going to get better and I'm happy to report that it does! Hang in there.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Gonzo..

At 80 days I thought I was going crazy. But, it is your brain dealing w normal.,it gets better everyday.

Take care of yourself. Eat what you enjoy, healthy hopefully, drink your favorite beverage, sleep, excercise.

Be very proud and protective of you sobriety. Never drink again. It is poisen.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've noticed that as well in the last 8 days since I quit. I guess it has to do with alcohol being a depressant. I am probably ADD anyway. But I have noticed a little struggle staying focused, but I have so much more time to get things done since I'm not drunk four hours of every day then struggling through the mornings.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think KidsEverywhere has a great point - it's really tricky wrapping our heads around how much extra TIME we have on your hands. We usually spent hours and hours lost in a drunken fog, and sleeping it off, that days often disappeared and were sometimes forgotten altogether.

Your sober mind has lots of time on its hands. It's making up for lost time and jumping around like a cat chasing a laser pointer. Let the dust settle, it will take some time to get comfortable. Try to relax, kill time with a pleasant walk and outdoor activities. You'll begin to find a rythm as you continue your journey.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too was unable to focus, to concentrate on things. It gets better with more sober time.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've always been a bit like that, but more so since getting sober.

I'm a bit further down the road ( 134 days ) but not much... I'm learning to not worry so much about not being too focussed. After all, as bigsombrero says, we have so much more time to catch up now.

I'm happy to see where my thoughts take me - and I wouldn't swap this state of mind for the lethargy, self-loathing and misery of daily drinking.

On a practical basis, have you tried 'free writing' - just grab a pen and book and write whatever comes out of your head. I find it helps me soften the voices and thoughts in my head and I am always surprised at what emerges.

Go well,

Fradley
Old 10-18-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I had some of that. Have you worked those steps? 1-12?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you googled "post acute withdrawal syndrome?" Aka "PAWS." You're in for a treat, lol.

Ok that was sarcasm. But paws does explain a lot of the crazy we experience after quitting booze. Your body and brain have adapted to a steady stream of suppression by alcohol. Now that the depressive/suppressive chemicals are out of your system, your body and brain go haywire for a while. It does get better. Waaaay better. But it takes time.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Cat with a laser pointer" -good one, sombrero! That was me, for sure.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

I felt the same at that time it does balance out
Old 10-19-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Took me a while to adjust to being Sober, including focusing on things.

Time though was a great healer!!