Notices

Tolerance

Old 10-17-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tolerance

Hi everyone,

Not posted in a long time, first time on this account s my old profile seems to have vanished.

Anyway, I've been sober for 27 months now but I seem to be getting a lot less tolerant towards drunk people. I've been attending football matches with my dad and brother where I'll drive to and from the game while they drink.
It didn't really bother me up until a few months ago but I just hate being around drunk people! I know when I drank I was a nightmare to be around so I've got a bit of a cheek saying that but it's gotten to the point where I don't want to go out to the games with them anymore and football is a big part of my life.

Does anyone else feel this way around drunk people or is it just me?

Ps when I say drunk I don't just mean a couple of beers, I mean loud and touchy drunk.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sucks. It's a shame that drinking is such a big part of the whole football culture.

At the moment I still find drunk people amusing, and mildly absurd, but in a crowd of thousands I can see how it would be annoying. Sorry, I dunno what to suggest, other than watching the game on TV? I know you'd miss the atmosphere, but maybe it's worth it?

27 months is huge!!
Old 10-17-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to go to the games drunk before and I would hardly remember a thing but when I managed to start attending games sober it was a massive leap for me so don't want to give up my seat. It just seems as if I can't stand drunk people anymore. In some ways I think that I might be jealous that they can drink and I can't then I just remember how much better life is sober. Really don't know what it is.

Thanks for the reply and good luck with your journey ☺
Old 10-17-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us have an issue with loud drunk people.

It could be they remind us who we were - or they just might be plain and simple obnoxious

D
Old 10-17-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I try not to go to places where ppl are getting paralytic its a shame most footie matches are dominated by booze

I like what D said
Old 10-18-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think a lot of us have an issue with loud drunk people.

It could be they remind us who we were - or they just might be plain and simple obnoxious

D
I think you're right Dee, between that and the same stories on repeat!
I'm glad it's not just me, was beginning to think I was turning into a moan haha.
It used to be me in that state or probably worse so in a way that's why it horrible to put up with too. The drunk company I'm in tend to say things like " wasn't that when you were drinking" but the big difference is when I was drunk they were too so they didn't have to put up with me stone cold sober.
There's times in my head where I keep telling myself I'll be fine to drink then I see drunk people and think, why would I want to go back to that?!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you on this (not the football bit), but seeing others drunk, or some people even just after a few drinks, makes me more sure that sober is now for me. I'm certain I would have been a worse bore or worse company in the past as I'm the one with a drink problem, BUT just lately being around people who have had a few is really boring and tedious. Another good tool to stay sober for me.
Bit of an issue about your love of football though, I wonder if there's sober folks who could join you? Dilute things a bit?
Good luck
xx
Old 10-18-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
I'm with you on this (not the football bit), but seeing others drunk, or some people even just after a few drinks, makes me more sure that sober is now for me. I'm certain I would have been a worse bore or worse company in the past as I'm the one with a drink problem, BUT just lately being around people who have had a few is really boring and tedious. Another good tool to stay sober for me.
Bit of an issue about your love of football though, I wonder if there's sober folks who could join you? Dilute things a bit?
Good luck
xx
My brother isn't really a big drinker which helps a great deal. But it's my dad and his Mrs who get absolutely hammered, makes it worse because I have to drive them home. When I bought my ticket I made sure it was a bit away from them so I could enjoy the game but it turns out there's two drunks sitting right behind me haha. If you don't laugh you'll cry.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't be crying (I hope you're joking), I'm thinking this is just adjustment time to our new way of life, cos it's a big change. 27 months is fantastic, really, really fantastic, so hold that thought. Other things will right themselves, maybe we will discover amazing "Tolerance".
Be well
x
Old 10-18-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Interesting change for me is that I feel proud of not drinking, and I actually think my friends think I am a badass because I can do it and they can't.

So any worries about not fitting in, gone.

The boring bit prevails though, lets face it, both being around a lot of drinking and trying to avoid it can both be boring (at least for me).

One thing that helps me is to realise that its the same activity I always did, just without the booze, so if its boring now, was boring then, just didn't seem like it drunk.

I would try and find a way to make it amusing so that you get to keep the tradition with your Dad -- he will not be around forever and when he is gone the traditions are important memories -- unless it gets too much and the memory is destroyed.

But importantly, who do you support?? I live in Belgium and still trying to get my head around the 1 Fifa ranking, but then I recall that the US was 6 once so we should keep it all in perspective....
Old 10-18-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's really funny you posted this topic today since I was already thinking about it because I'm going to a football game today. I, too, find the obnoxiously drunk annoying, but I have a bit of compassion for them in my heart. I know that they have two paths to choose: dying drunk or living sober - neither an easy option. Sometimes I look around and wonder how many of them woke up this morning knowing they have a problem but feel powerless to do anything about it?
Old 10-18-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Interesting change for me is that I feel proud of not drinking, and I actually think my friends think I am a badass because I can do it and they can't.

So any worries about not fitting in, gone.

The boring bit prevails though, lets face it, both being around a lot of drinking and trying to avoid it can both be boring (at least for me).

One thing that helps me is to realise that its the same activity I always did, just without the booze, so if its boring now, was boring then, just didn't seem like it drunk.

I would try and find a way to make it amusing so that you get to keep the tradition with your Dad -- he will not be around forever and when he is gone the traditions are important memories -- unless it gets too much and the memory is destroyed.

But importantly, who do you support?? I live in Belgium and still trying to get my head around the 1 Fifa ranking, but then I recall that the US was 6 once so we should keep it all in perspective....
Totally agree with you about feeling proud but also wrestling with boredom. I find that I enjoy the football so much more as I'm not watching the clock counting down the minutes till I can get back to the pub.

Still find it a major adjustment to life after drink but I keep planning to try new things that I never get round to.

I see what you mean about keeping up traditions as me, my dad and my brother have all been going to the games for nearly 20 years and it's something I wouldn't like to give up.

To answer your question we're all proud supporters of Glasgow Rangers ☺
Belgium are doing very well, you's have a great bunch of talented young players, I reckon they're definitely ones to watch in the future.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by On The Road View Post
It's really funny you posted this topic today since I was already thinking about it because I'm going to a football game today. I, too, find the obnoxiously drunk annoying, but I have a bit of compassion for them in my heart. I know that they have two paths to choose: dying drunk or living sober - neither an easy option. Sometimes I look around and wonder how many of them woke up this morning knowing they have a problem but feel powerless to do anything about it?
I think that too when I see people falling about, I find it hard to believe I was like that. Can't imagine being that drunk that I don't know what I'm doing again.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

People who are loud, drunk and obnoxious have always annoyed me (people who are loud, sober and obnoxious annoy me too but there are just less of them LOL)
One of the reasons I never drank in bars and I never really got into the "party scene" when I was younger is that I just cannot stand drunken behavior.
Being around those kind of people would have completely ruined my drinking
Old 10-18-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Its not just you. I feel the same way. But I view it as my problem, not theirs. They are doing what they want to do and enjoy doing it. So if I have a problem with it, its up to me to do something about it. I was with my immediate family yesterday and they were all drinking. Funny, they never even offered me something to drink, I would have declined, but they should have out of courtesy. I haven't told them I quit. Anyway, I left. Problem solved.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I got Sober I had to rethink my ice hockey game routines.

I know don't go to the pre game drinks, the pre pre game drinks, or the post drinks, and then at the games I'll go for a wander around the arena and chat to other fans, the ones also grabbing a coffee or a tea at the hot drink stand, those with their kids and families who are driving them back after the game.

There's loads of people I never realised that don't drink at games, I thought everyone did, it can be tough to put up with the drinkers, but we're now part of the non drinking legion of fans!!
Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
When I got Sober I had to rethink my ice hockey game routines.

I know don't go to the pre game drinks, the pre pre game drinks, or the post drinks, and then at the games I'll go for a wander around the arena and chat to other fans, the ones also grabbing a coffee or a tea at the hot drink stand, those with their kids and families who are driving them back after the game.

There's loads of people I never realised that don't drink at games, I thought everyone did, it can be tough to put up with the drinkers, but we're now part of the non drinking legion of fans!!
I was the same at the football, I used to think everyone was as drunk as I was but it turns it they weren't! Do you find the games more enjoyable being sober as I do?
Old 10-19-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeap, most of the games when I drank were a bit of a haze by the 3rd period, remembering all the highlights, the stats, even remembering the next morning who had even won is great in Sobriety.

It also showed up to me that I actually enjoyed the sport, rather than I was just there for the drinking, I find it on the whole a more enjoyable experience, and then the next morning with a hangover, checking all the receipts of how much I spent on beer and junk food is also an experience I don't miss!!

My body and mind definitely now thank me for it!!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was the same, used to have to re-watch the game on tv as I couldn't remember a thing. Football started at 3 and we'd usually start drinking around 10am and that would be me till Sunday night! As you said, you wake up too scared to check the bank or speak to anyone who might've seen you.

Whereas now you can enjoy every bit of the match (apart from the loud drunks haha).