Notices

Needing support and encouragement

Old 10-17-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Needing support and encouragement

If "just don't drink" were that easy. So many things happening in my life right now, trying to work out why I drank in the first place, and really need to get healthy and start eating more. Just so emotional. Needing and really wanting to find the joy in life and my family again and be more positive. Have had a lot of relapses lately and really need to be accountable.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Sober! Lots of support here. Read round the forum. Today can be a new day for you. Alot of the emotions are do to the alcohol. It keeps us from focusing on what really matters. It keeps us from the joy of life and family. Life is going to happen. We either face it sober or drunk but life is still going to move forward.

Make today your day to face it sober. Best of luck!
Old 10-17-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Sober
What you're going through is very normal. I don't know how long you've been sober but it takes time, and some patience, to adjust to your new way of 'being'. I'm on month 4 and I'm just now able to enjoy just 'being'. Not drinking frees up a lot of time and mental space. I tend to obsessively think and worry about the past and the future. It helps me to remember to stay in the moment and just do the next right thing. Doesn't have to be anything earth shattering, just good and harm free. Hang in there.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi sober, not drinking ever again is much easier if you make a plan for when you feel like you need a drink.
You're right about needing to eat better. Your body's going to interpret stress, hunger, thirst and fatigue as time to drink when in fact having a snack, or a nap or just deep breathing can often be enough.
What is your family situation? Kids? There are lots of ways of making your family life more positive, but start with not drinking. Then do simple things like taking them for a walk or playing a board game for fun.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Sober youl find tons of support here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-17-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It can be overwhelming with thoughts and emotions. Just staying in today without thinking about the past or future helped me and lessened the stress. Just doing what's in front of you now makes things a lot easier. Matters have a way of working out and taking care of themselves. It does gets easier.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hey Sober
What you're going through is very normal. I don't know how long you've been sober but it takes time, and some patience, to adjust to your new way of 'being'. I'm on month 4 and I'm just now able to enjoy just 'being'. Not drinking frees up a lot of time and mental space. I tend to obsessively think and worry about the past and the future. It helps me to remember to stay in the moment and just do the next right thing. Doesn't have to be anything earth shattering, just good and harm free. Hang in there.
This really speaks to me, thank you!
I've quoted you so it's listed again. Simple wisdom, very powerful. Thank you Frickaflip
xx
Old 10-17-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It's normal to feel really low after repeated relapses. This disease takes so much from us and leaves us feeling hopeless at times. But, know for sure that you can do this. You can be the sober person you want to be. We're here for support.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober1017 View Post
If "just don't drink" were that easy. So many things happening in my life right now, trying to work out why I drank in the first place, and really need to get healthy and start eating more. Just so emotional. Needing and really wanting to find the joy in life and my family again and be more positive. Have had a lot of relapses lately and really need to be accountable.
You've come to the right place. There are many people much smarter than myself that can help you. Stick around, you might like what you see and hear.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hang in there...
I'll say one thing. Just not drinking was a heck of a lot easier than trying to figure out why I drank. The reasons were limitless.
So if I spent all that time trying to figure it out, I might still be drinking.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sober!!
Old 10-18-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, you have got to eat and eat well/healthy. For me, that's always been a good place to start in feeling better. Diet impacts EVERYTHING; my energy, my thinking, my decision making, my performance at work my ability to work out...everything...including my emotions. And you need plenty of protein and foods rich in L-tyrosine which is one of the building blocks for the dopamine synthesis. There are also supplements you can get at health food stores that have L-tyrosine in them. One of those is called St. John's Positive Thoughts...I've always been a bit of a health nut!

Also, there is the rest and sleep factor. If I don't get good sleep everything feels negative to me.

Drink lots of healthy fluids, without overdoing it.

Get some fresh air. I thrive on fresh air. so I like to go for long walks outside and do a lot of deep breathing. It's so rejuvenating!

I also like to mediate, pray, and have quiet time. It brings peace into my soul...

Yes, focus on yourself and your health. That's going to be your best bet. Everything else in your life will fall into place as it should.

Blessed Be

[smile]
Old 10-19-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sober1017! I'm glad you found SR. You'll find plenty of support and encouragement here!