Notices

Accidentally took a drink

Old 10-16-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accidentally took a drink

Hi everyone - I'm 11 months sober and am at a birthday party where I'm dealing with an irrational fear about something that just happened. I always drink Diet Coke out of a glass with ice. I got mixed up and while chatting didn't even think and picked up a glass and took a huge gulp and it was a stiff rum and Coke. I ran to the sink and spit the rest out which raised some attention. I'm hiding I the washroom feeling absolutely awful and anxious like I've done something terribly wrong and that I've broken my sobriety. I know it's not true but I'm scared next month I can't celebrate my 1 year anniversary and honestly say I've gone a year without drinking. I've been so looking forward to this milestone.

I don't know what kind of support I need, but I really feel the need to reach out. Am I just really overreacting?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It doesn't sound like it was intentional, so I wouldn't worry about it. These things happen sometimes. Our Carol used to suggest that we always smell our drink before drinking it for just this reason.

As far as I'm concerned, your sobriety is still intact. Enjoy your one year milestone!
Old 10-16-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry that happened but I truly don't think you shouldn't celebrate your year.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

It's fine.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You made a mistake Lance.

Your reaction suggests your recovery is very important to you - I wouldn't sweat this a second longer

D
Old 10-16-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think Dee is right.
It was an accident. You spit it out.
You didn't order the drink, want the drink or drink the drink.
A year is a long darn time!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, you are definitely overreacting. I wouldn't give it a second thought. Besides you probably spit most of it out.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It was completely an accident with no intent to drink on your part. Keep going for that year milestone, it is yours to claim!
How was the rest of the party?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I look forward to congratulating you on one year sober about one month from now.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I look forward to congratulating you on one year sober about one month from now.
Me too.

It was a genuine mistake, which you took immediate steps to remedy.

And B R E A T H E
Old 10-17-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all. You've been a big help. I also got in touch with my sponsor, and she echoed what you all are saying here. It's several hours later, and I'm okay now. I'm not glad the incident happened, but I'm very thankful for the internal response I felt towards alcohol. It makes me realize that my sobriety is on a solid foundation. Thanks again for the support.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

These types of things are bound to happen because... well...life happens. It's clear you highly value sobriety! Good going on almost a year.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As a vegetarian I've been dealing with that kind of situation for 20 or so years. I'll be enjoying a soup, compliment the host who knows I'm vegetarian, and they say it's because of their home made chicken stock. Takes a couple of beats before the penny drops for them. Chicken isn't a vegetable. But it's all good. I just stop eating what I was eating, very politely accept the apologies, and move on to the next course. For me it's all about intention. I haven't chosen to eat meat for 20 years, but probably had the equivalent of a few chickens and a steak or two since just from hidden ingredients. I know some are more hardline about it and would kick up a big fuss in similar situations, and I respect that, but for me life's too short to get too stressed about genuine accidents.

I'm glad you accept what happened for what it was, and as you say, it's even helped you realise how strong your commitment to sobriety is, so some good has come out of it.

Looking forward to hearing about your 1st anniversary.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

The same thing happened to me when I was 4 months sober and drank a NA beer that had 0,5% alcohol in it. I got very uneasy and worried that I broke my sobriety, but I learned that is the decision to take a drink that counts.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on your sober time Lance.

You took that drink by accident.I was always told by my sponsor to be vigilant,it used to annoy me in my early days,but it was good advice.

Wishing you well.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think the effort and spirit behind your sobriety date stands. If you had realized what happened and finished it, then drank 34 more of them, then your sobriety date would be broken.
Your sobriety date marks when you made a decision to live a sober life with a conscious effort to stay away from alcohol. I think that journey is still intact.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm pretty new here. Just wondering, would anything be different if OP swallowed the drink? I'm almost 99% sure that if I accidentally took a swig of an alcoholic drink that I would just swallow it and put the drink down and go pour myself a new coke. (or tonic water, because that's what I like to drink when I'm out). For social reasons, I just don't think I would make a scene and run to the bathroom to spit it out. I'm not saying what the OP did was wrong, but do we really have to fear tiny amounts of alcohol (in food for example) to be considered sober? I think it's the intention that counts. Of course, I rarely let liquid linger in my mouth, so I probably wouldn't have realized it was alcoholic until it was already down my throat haha
Old 10-17-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You made a mistake Lance.

Your reaction suggests your recovery is very important to you - I wouldn't sweat this a second longer

D
Completely agree
Old 10-17-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Syn3rgistic View Post
I'm pretty new here. Just wondering, would anything be different if OP swallowed the drink? I'm almost 99% sure that if I accidentally took a swig of an alcoholic drink that I would just swallow it and put the drink down and go pour myself a new coke. (or tonic water, because that's what I like to drink when I'm out). For social reasons, I just don't think I would make a scene and run to the bathroom to spit it out. I'm not saying what the OP did was wrong, but do we really have to fear tiny amounts of alcohol (in food for example) to be considered sober? I think it's the intention that counts. Of course, I rarely let liquid linger in my mouth, so I probably wouldn't have realized it was alcoholic until it was already down my throat haha

No, what matters here is intent. My mother once ordered a tonic water at a restaurant. She was brought a gin and tonic and took a sip and swallowed it. She was 21 years sober at the time and did not count it as a relapse. She did not take another sip and when she got the waiter's attention asked for a new drink.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lance, don't sweat it. Accidents happen, and it was an accident. If you intentionally drank a whole beer or drink to see how you would handle it, it would be a different story. Just my 2 cents.