The Language of Letting Go, October 16

Old 10-16-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, October 16

OCTOBER 16

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Being Honest with Ourselves

Our relationship with ourselves is the most important relationship we need to maintain. The quality of that relationship will determine the quality of our other relationships.

When we can tell ourselves how we feel, and accept our feelings, we can tell others.

When we can accept what we want and need, we will be ready to have our wants and needs met.

When we can accept what we think and believe, and accept what's important to us, we can relay this to others.

When we learn to take ourselves seriously, others will too.

When we learn to chuckle at ourselves, we will be ready to laugh with others.

When we have learned to trust ourselves, we will be trustworthy and ready to trust.

When we can be grateful for who we are, we will have achieved self-love.

When we have achieved self-love and accepting our wants and needs, we will be ready to give and receive love.

When we've learned to stand on our own two feet, we're ready to stand next to someone.

Today, I will focus on having a good relationship with myself.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Overall I've found this to be very true! There is a bit of a twist to it, though. I had it firmly in my mind that I need to learn how to have love and compassion for myself before I can fully love others and have healthy compassion for them.

Ironically, it seems that by learning how to love and be compassionate towards others, I'm learning how to do this for myself! How I'm now viewing compassion or love also as isn't how I used to.

It's an inside job, yet not one I'm meant to learn in isolation.

During a phase of trying to force solutions for others, I thought their love for me didn't really count if they couldn't show the same love for themselves. Now, by gratefully accepting what others are able to give, I'm valuing myself and them.