Notices

Hey guys

Old 10-15-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Things with my girlfriend seem to be getting on top of me. We talked through some stuff and sorted it. Then fell out again. I came home from work yesterday to find her sat on the couch in her pyjamas said she got sent home from work. She was saying that she didn't feel mentally well and was having bad thoughts, she didn't feel safe in the house and that she missed her dad (who died when she was 6). She said she was going to her doctors and she was not stable. I made her a drink , comforted her and offered her some tea and she was fine after that. It was like a switch going on and off.

I'm starting to think this bad patch is down to me. I think I may be contributing to it not working but I find it tough sometimes. I've been feeling very flat the last couple of days a bit like the time I was off work some of you will remember for 4 months. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning to review anti depressant medication as I've been on a half dose for a month as I asked to come off this type due to some bad side effects.

Again I know this isn't strictly alcohol related. In some ways it relates to my back story though. A year ago I would not be even aware of such issues as I was too out of it to notice most times.

Stewy
Old 10-15-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear your going through a rough patch. Hope things will get better. Make sure she sees her Dr. Hope your Dr appt going s well.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post

I'm starting to think this bad patch is down to me.
No.

You are not responsible for another person's mental well-being.

Certainly, it is valid to ask yourself how you might contribute to a loved one's well being or how your own choices and actions may influence another's experience - but you are NOT responsible for her inner world, her experience or her response to it.

Do you have anyone that YOU can talk with? A qualified counselor? Is SHE seeing a counselor? Could you go together?

When our partners are going through a rough time, we often need to ensure we are well supported - as the best way to support them.

Also - you made her a drink and she was fine after that?

Uhm.... YELLOW LIGHT.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Stewy)))....how did it go at the doctor's?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Stewy I like the way you handled it when your GF was feeling so down. It shows such a caring part of your personality. I hope you both start making progress and treat each other with such kindness. I'm sure it helped her a lot.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ast1 View Post
Sorry to hear your going through a rough patch. Hope things will get better. Make sure she sees her Dr. Hope your Dr appt going s well.
Thanks ast1
Old 10-15-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
No. You are not responsible for another person's mental well-being. Certainly, it is valid to ask yourself how you might contribute to a loved one's well being or how your own choices and actions may influence another's experience - but you are NOT responsible for her inner world, her experience or her response to it. Do you have anyone that YOU can talk with? A qualified counselor? Is SHE seeing a counselor? Could you go together? When our partners are going through a rough time, we often need to ensure we are well supported - as the best way to support them. Also - you made her a drink and she was fine after that? Uhm.... YELLOW LIGHT.
She has mentioned about accessing counselling before but never pursued it.

I had counselling a few months ago, it was someone to talk to really, I didn't "open up" or "uncover anything" so to speak

I don't understand the yellow light? I didn't give her an alcoholic drink if you mean that, I thought I was helping by making her a cup of tea!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
(((Stewy)))....how did it go at the doctor's?
I'm going in the morning, will post update
Old 10-15-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Stewy I like the way you handled it when your GF was feeling so down. It shows such a caring part of your personality. I hope you both start making progress and treat each other with such kindness. I'm sure it helped her a lot.
Thanks, I sometimes think I ought to make more efforts. I get so bogged down with my job and responsibilities I'm so tired when I get home and I feel like I'm forever doing chores
Old 10-15-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry things are difficult at the moment Stewy hopefully you can both resolve this through talking ?

Sending my best wishes Stewy if you feel like talking drop a pm your a good person Stewy
Old 10-15-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Be well Stewy.

Sorry you are going through a rough patch. Talk things over with your Dr tomorrow. Bottom line is you've got to take care of you before you can tend to others.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, I sometimes think I ought to make more efforts. I get so bogged down with my job and responsibilities I'm so tired when I get home and I feel like I'm forever doing chores
Even a small effort is often appreciated if it shows caring.

As for chores; my son, when he was living with me, would shoo me out for take-away, put on the music and go for it. He'd get the basic cleaning done in about 1/2 the time because he treated it like an industrial job. Taught me a lot about how I used to string the jobs out.
Then the rest of the night was feet up with take-away.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wishing you well, Stewey!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Sorry things are difficult at the moment Stewy hopefully you can both resolve this through talking ? Sending my best wishes Stewy if you feel like talking drop a pm your a good person Stewy
She said I'm miserable all the time. Maybe I am but sometimes I don't even know why
Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

You don't come across as a miserable person how about surprising her with a romantic night out with a night at a hotel the works ?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I found that when I got sober over time I because so much more aware of what was going on with me in terms of my depression. I've learned to have as much acceptance about being an alcoholic as well as accepting my depression. What I also have learned is that being sober is soooooooooo important as far as the medication I need to take. This is tough stuff and I think you are doing great
Old 10-16-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

She said I'm miserable all the time. Maybe I am but sometimes I don't even know why
Work with your doctor to deal with depression, and have a look at the Beyond Blue website for some practical things you can do for yourself.