Notices

A Long Journey

Old 10-13-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Long Journey

Sobriety can sure feel like a long, (but worthwhile) journey.

What are some things that you all have found helpful to take with you; to keep you afloat?

And, what are some things you discovered you needed to leave behind? It's a process for sure and at times confusing as we have almost literally started a new life and in a sense have left an old life. We don't make all these changes over night, but a brain that is sober sees everything in a whole new light! The world holds more wonder; more amazing possibilities.

I know one thing that has been helpful for me is anything that promotes healing....
Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Now that I'm sober I see the rest of my life as a road wide open before me! I've got a great job now as Executive Chef of a restaurant than I love, making more money that I've ever made before. And so far it's going really well! In my drinking days it was always a struggle in the kitchen, always hung over and just hanging on, waiting to knock back that first beer/bourbon/wine.

I would be lying if I said I don't miss sitting at the rail of the bar at work, sipping a scotch or craft beer. But what I've received in return is more than just compensation.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great post TTO
Old 10-14-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

One of the things that I've said since day 1 is i accept I can't drink safely or responsibly & no matter what I don't drink if I feel urges or cravings I promised to reach out

I had to drop a lot of people who were my supposed 'friends' as they were never friends they didn't care what happened to me
Old 10-14-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice post Teatree!

On this journey I picked up confidence, pride in accomplishment, positive outlook. I became more spiritual, never had time for that while drinking.

I left behind lying to myself, disgust, and self-pity.

And I sure don't miss those things a bit!

Good luck to you, this is a fantastic journey!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Acceptance of my addiction is the most important thing for me. Not only acceptance that i cannot drink, but also accepting that it's perfectly OK to not drink - and that my life is actually a better one without alcohol.

Spending time here on SR, mindfulness and meditation, occasional therapy appointments and a lot of self-help reading help me maintain that acceptance and outlook on life.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TTO -

Helpful Things: admitting to myself that I have a problem, learning about it, DOING something about it, and sharing my insights with fellow alcoholics.

Leave Behind: my ego, lost memories and actions, and the empty void in my soul.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies!

I am learning more and more that recovery work includes healing. So I'm trying to take an honest look every day at what things in my life are helping me heal and what things aren't and not worry so much about the neutral things...not that they don't matter....I need lots of positives...I realize that. And, I need to keep a positive attitude.Thanks all for wonderful, HEALING words of encouragement!