Notices

Bad days....

Old 10-13-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad days....

I've had a few over the last 60 some days sober. At first, they took me by surprise. I was under the false impression that getting alcohol out of my life would mean I'd feel great every day! But alas, its not meant to be a panacea.

I do feel SOOOOO much better all the way around, but I'd say a few days, just crap. No reason, just wake up angry, mad, sad, etc.

Yesterday was just that and for absolutely no reason. All day long, I was mad....then sad.....mad again....it went on and on. I finally cried last night, the reason? I couldn't find my phone charger! I had just had enough and lost it. I was angry enough to fight when I couldn't find it, then just broke down and cried like a baby about it.

I finally just gave up and crawled into bed at 8pm. Woke up this morning like a new person! Whatever was possessing me yesterday has left the building. I woke up like.....

Funny thing is every time so far in this quit....the feeling goes away. I truly believe that in the past when I tried to quit drinking.....I didn't understand that and took a bad mental day when sober as a reason to start drinking again thinking "See, nothing has changed so might as well drink". This time around, I'm riding the feelings out and coming out the other side.....ALCOHOL FREE!

I don't understand these feelings, why they come and go with no warning or reason. To be honest, they sort of really suck! But what I'm learning, especially by just hanging on and reading lots here during these down times, the feelings pass and I'm not alone.

You guys really don't know how much you help, even when I'm just reading and not participating. Thanks
Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's something I had to learn to. I had no experience living with my emotions and dealing with difficult days. It sounds like you're doing great. Congratulations on 60 days sober!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
I was under the false impression that getting alcohol out of my life would mean I'd feel great every day! But alas, its not meant to be a panacea.

I do feel SOOOOO much better all the way around, but I'd say a few days, just crap. No reason, just wake up angry, mad, sad, etc.
Yep!!

We are still Human Beings - even in sobriety.

But sobriety sure winds up a better way to deal with those challenging days!!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I think normies call it life
Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great
Old 10-13-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60+ days! It took me a while to realize that sobriety isn't immune to the tough parts of life.

Glad you are feeling better today Intheend!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yup, there are bad days and I have had a few in my 110 plus days of sobriety . a few weeks ago I had such rage at little things I thought I was going mad but woke up the next day happy as could be. I realized I never truly felt anger for so many years because I would block it out with alcohol. Anger and sadness is an emotion that is part of life just because we are sober doesn't mean we should not experience it. I think it means we are living life to its fullest and in the moment. Great job on 60 days!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always say at least now my bad days are just that - bad days, not weeks months or years

Glad today is better for you InTheEnd

D
Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It happened to me too, InTheEnd - especially in the first few months. The weirdness would come out of nowhere - and leave just as abruptly. Things got much better as I got used to my new normal. Glad you are doing better today.