Notices

Antidepressants during recovery

Old 10-10-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressants during recovery

When I decided to talk to my doctor about my drinking and my severe mood swings, he suggested a low dose antidepressant which I started this week. After a lot of discussion I decided it might be best for me to have the medication to help me find some balance with my moods and anxiety. I have to say that this first week in it has made me much more mellow. This might be because I'm adjusting to it.

Anyway, I've been very fortunate that I haven't had much withdrawal symptoms since quitting four days ago and my anxiety seems much better. I'm curious if anyone else is willing to share their experiences with antidepressants during early recovery. Did you find it a helpful part of your plan or treatment to getting well?

Also, I'm happy to report that I have zero interest in taking a drink and that is a bizarre feeling. I think a switch got flipped when I decided to quit and have accountability and support here. But... I'm also not going to let my guard down.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daisy - I was never on antidepressants when I was detoxing so I have no experience to offer. I'm glad you're feel a little better though

D
Old 10-10-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have been on them before, but not during recovery. Please note, things may have changed since I was on them, but as far as I'm aware, it takes a few weeks for most anti-depressants to build up proper levels in the system to be effective, so give it some more time.

I was on a weak SSRI for about 6 months before. I didn't personally like them, but I know they help some people, so to each their own. They basically turned me into a zombie. Never happy, never sad, always content. That's not the way I want to go through life. In my opinion, it's those ups and downs that make us alive. Take that away, and you're left with a shell of a human being. Just my opinion though, and to each their own.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,
I've been on an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant drug since 2001. I resisted medical help for a very long time, years in fact. Determined I could kick the feelings I was having.
Anyway, I'm good with my pill each morning. Not a cure all,but I can drive again and be present in my life! The later part due to my sobriety and work in my recovery..
As always,keep close to your Doctor. I feel so relaxed and totally free with my Dr. Ever since I told her I'm an alcoholic. No secrets anymore. Another area alcoholism touched my life.
Bobbi
Old 10-11-2015, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ive been taking anti ds as a drinker and in recovery.... They are now working wonderfully! I suffer with anxiety and stress the difference I feel now is amazing!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through DaisyBee!!
Old 10-11-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I started anti anxiety/anti depressant medication nearly 2 years into recovery I didn't take them during detoxing
Old 10-11-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 4 days!

I tried them while drinking and nothing worked (imagine that!). I thought I might need them after I quit, but waited to see if the depression was mostly alcohol related. It was. But the funny thing is now, I think I might have adult ADD! It's not 24/7 but the symptoms are there. Still waiting cuz I don't want to take anything I really don't need and we shall soon see.

I used to be "Dr InTheEnd", or played one while drinking! I could google my way to any disease when I had a symptom and think it was the end!

Being sober has me a bit more rational now.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand that it's an good idea during the first few months -
Old 10-11-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daisy,

I started antidepressants just before I began recovery. I had depression since I was a child, so it wasn't caused by my drinking. But, I needed to get it properly diagnosed and treated in order to recover. I still take them today because for me, they level the playing field. Balance in all aspects of my life has been so important to my recovery and the antidepressant is part of my plan.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I started taking my anti-d about nine months into recovery. I finally had to give up and admit that my depression and anxiety likely led me to drink in the first place. I did a lot of 'gut' work in that first nine months, laying awake at night, panic attacks, not wanting to leave the house.
To be honest, the uptake was somewhat difficult for me and took almost a month. I still feel a weird little fog in my head, but I am calm almost all the time and my moods are even. I can even manage conversations with people other than my husband and kids. I won't go so far as to say I've completely come out of my shell and my social life is swinging, but I am stepping outside the comfort zone. I have started lightly socializing with the parents outside the school for drop off and pick up. I also started taking an exercise class twice a week. I attend AA where I am more chatty than I've ever been (always been my safety zone, always felt free to talk there and not go into panic mode).
I think this was long overdue, and I am prepared to deal with my mild side effects. These include some foggy brain, being a bit too internal in my head and missing half of what people say, and I wake up with wicked dry mouth every day. My doctor says that one is weird, but it's there every morning til I drink a glass of water and brush my teeth, that gets the saliva moving again.
I don't know how long I'll stay on, I haven't made a plan for it, but it is helping and my hope is that these side effects will also fall away and I will feel more energetic very soon.
Knowing what I know now, I would have started anti-d's within a few days of stopping drinking (for my own case, I am not diagnosing anyone else!) - perhaps even on the day that I quit. Not everyone needs it, but if you feel it's right then by all means give it a shot. Not every SSRI works the same - so make sure you talk to your doctor about one specifically geared to your issues and concerns.
Good luck
Old 10-11-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's so helpful to hear of other people's experiences. I suppose it sort of validates me. I was thinking this morning that I worry that some people (mostly family) might think I am using the medication as a crutch and that it is a sign of weakness. Luckily, I immediately corrected myself. If I had a broken leg, I would use a crutch to help me walk. And right now, I think the meds are helping me work through recovery.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on sertraline (Zoloft) for years but of course they didn't help when I was drinking a depressant every day. Now they have a chance to work properly and keep my depression at bay.