Notices

Say a little prayer for me, please

Old 10-10-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Say a little prayer for me, please

Ive posted this on October thread. My sobriety date is July 20, 2015 but I decided to just share it for everyone. We all struggle and maybe mine will help someone else. Fight this damn addiction with all you got! Kick its ass! I'm so over it!

I had a wedding rehearsal last night. I posted in other forums about it and about how scared I am about it. This disease is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with. Nobody truly understands how you feel unless you are an alcoholic trying to stay sober and work on recovery. My AV kept saying "but, but, but" and tried to throw me a pity party while the drinks were flowing. That was the hardest part. Once we ate it was over, drinks stopped. Phew wish that AV would choke on something for the love of Christ,
Tonight will be a whole new demon. I love love love music. It's in my soul. I was a performer for Gods sake! When I hear it it is something I can't control! I feel it all through me. Drinks will be flowing heavy. My husbands side are big drinkers. I am crying I am so nervous about this. I know I won't drink but unless you've been an alcoholic you won't understand no matter how I explain it. My husband tries and he stands by me but he can't take away this terrible feeling. I panic, shake, fearful, utter despair feeling, complete sadness. Even those words don't describe the death grip feeling I get. Please pray for me. For my 82 days this will be the biggest test I've had by far going to this wedding and huge party after. I have to go...its family. Help me Lord. ((Hug)) to y'all stay sober! Fight the hell out of this damn addiction!
I am pretty vocal and active here on SR so I wanted to share with everyone how we all struggle no matter how many days we have. My fear may be someone else's strength. I pray for all of you fighting addiction! Please pray for me..thanks!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sending prayers, Key!

One added thought- for me, after the stress of dealing with a strong potential drinking situation, my biggest downfall tended to occur shortly after I had successfully gotten through a tough spot. I think we tend to let down our guard a bit. So once this stress is over, try to plan a (non-alcoholic, of course) treat for yourself. A massage? A manicure? A walk? Whatever will feel good.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AlmA

We will pray for you, and have you in our thoughts!!!

You are strong and you will rise your head above it!!!
we understand what you say regarding the AV and that it does not shut up!!!

You can dance and watch the others mumble as they can not speak right, walk right, ... and have the upper hand in the party.

You are going to have a great time and feel so proud of yourself when it finishes and you did not need to be drunk to be happy.
you will feel the true happiness when you realize you can live without it!
No many things can compare to the feeling of rising above the addictions.

Enjoy the wedding feel the love surrounding you, alcohol will never give you that feeling but take it away, priceless and fully awake to feel love for real

Big (((((Hug))))))
Old 10-10-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Of course, always, prayer. You are strong, you will do this.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Prayer and thoughts go out to you. You can do it. For me, when I get those thoughts of drinking, I ask myself if a drink will make my life better? And it's a no brainer answer for me. That usually stops the thoughts for me.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like, I've said before, I believe you have the strength and determination to get through today Key

Don't let your AV fill you with self doubt. You just have to keep doing what you've been doing for the last 84 days

you got this

D
Old 10-10-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was at a wedding rehearsal dinner last night. Did not want to drink, but it was outdoors, cold and wife had a bit if wine when I told her it was okay. I left after about 2 hours and wife followed shortly thereafter and we had a nice evening and morning after we left. Called sponsor and vented rather than venting on her or evening and morning might not have been so nice.

Anyway, the moral of the story is our sobriety is the most precious thing we hold because without it there will eventually be no wife, no job, no car, no friends and etc.

Go if you have a reason, but always have an escape plan. Take care of yourself and politely leave if you are struggling in such situations. Ask God for help and to please let you not drink. Call your sponsor.

Life and social settings will not always be a struggle if we work diligently to treat and recover from the underlying alcoholism. If you are new and have not worked the steps, be very careful in certain social settings. It will get better.

Prayers for you and all of us struggling to find our ways. There is a better way and a better life. Patience, determination and hard work is the key.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this, key!a lot of good advice here. Yes I avoided drinking situations when possible in early sobriety, especially parties, but you can't avoid them all. You will be fine, and you have my prayers.

I really think you'll enjoy the music and dancing more than you would the booze!
Old 10-10-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sending you prayers and warrior woman strength. Go and enjoy!
Old 10-10-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

il keep you in my prayers Key you can do this
Old 10-10-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

glad ua see a potential problem in advance. heres a lil something you could try:

If it is a happy occasion, try to increase the pleasure of those there.
stay in fit spiritual condition.
have yerself an escape route!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All the best Key. Do you have SR installed on your phone? Might help.

Hope you manage to have a great (sober) time!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I will be praying for you, Key, and sending good thoughts, too.

I am confident that you are going to rock this!!!!!!

Have fun.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Try to visualise how proud you'll be when you wake up with a clear head tomorrow. You WILL manage. So this is the biggest challenge yet, show yourself and everybody what you're made of.
Prayers of course and very confident good vibes to you.
xx
Old 10-10-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You have the determination and strength to protect your new life of sobriety. The strategy of "playing the tape through" REALLY helps me. I always think about the day after and how bad I will feel.

Also the FEW hours drunk tonight is not worth the life and peace and feeling proud of ourselves tomorrow.

A few things I've done:
--post on SR while at the event. People will think you're texting.
--steer clear of the drunken areas of the reception (I have noticed that large social events generally have little clusters of people. ....when feasible I find the clusters who are: 1. Not drinking 2. Having good conversation 3. Sitting/observing 4. Family groups). You don't necessarily have to "join" their calm and sometimes sober cluster but just being surrounded by them instead of the rowdy drinking cluster REALLY helps!!
--call a friend or take a few fake phone calls and step outside (I highly recommend this one!)
--set up a plan in advance ALWAYS (let hubby know you may need to leave very early)

Maybe my next suggestion is bad because it's not truthful but.....I think it's okay to say you're tired or not feeling well and need to turn in.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Prayers going your way.

BTW - my favorite key is G.

And that idea of Sports fan to post on SR while at the event sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Key - prayers have gone up. You're going to feel so good when tomorrow comes and you didn't cave. I also think it's a great idea to stay in touch with us and post if possible. We'll be thinking of you.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You got this. I have faith in you Key
Old 10-10-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I recently went to a wedding and reception where I felt very uptight and sorry for myself for most of the reception. But I danced with someone and that sort of took my mind off things. You don't have to drink to dance! It's always been fun for me I just thought I needed alcohol. See if dancing helps. Sending prayers!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Still sending up prayers for you!