Notices

Day 3! Not too bad!

Old 10-10-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3! Not too bad!

So after having decided to stop, having a long chat with both my Dr and my psy, having collected some meds from the pharmacy and having found this forum all in the space of 48 hours I am feeling pretty elated to be honest.

I had some cravings early last evening around the time I always take my first drink but they were bearable. I did feel sick and dizzy going to bed but I have had a full night sleep.

This morning I can't get out of bed. I have a mild head ache brain fog, am exhausted, and just want to sleep all day. I can't though because I have children to care for, the house is a mess ( this past week I was on one major binge and everything was neglected including my poor innocent children).

But I don't have any shaking, sickness or anything unbearable. If the initial detox was going to be "bad" for me, at what stage do the worst symptoms hit? I have been drinking 2 bottles of wine a night for as long as I can remember so I was expecting hell.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Fabat

Detox is unpredictable - it's different for everyone
I had some where I felt great from day one and others where I was very ill for a week.

None of us are doctors, much less doctors who know your clinical history - but if you're feeling good now I reckon you have a good chance that will continue.

If that changes, or you have any concerns, you know what to do - see your Dr

D
Old 10-10-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Withdrawals are different for everyone. Mine were relatively mild; minor hallucinations, brain fog. No shakes, fortunately. You may be lucky - but if things do get bad, call your dr or get to a hospital.

You're doing great! The best thing to do is be aware that you will get cravings - have a plan in place so that the cravings don't win. Be busy doing something else at your usual drinking time.

3 days is awesome
Old 10-10-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you've hit day 3 and are feeling good, more than likely that will continue. If you were going to get harsh withdrawals, they most likely would have already happened.

Congrats on day 3, that's awesome!
Old 10-10-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 3 is great progress Fabat50, just remember how proud you'll feel on day 4..... and then week 1. If you feel rough, use this as motivation never have to do day 3 again.
Good luck
xx
Old 10-10-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a beautiful Autumn day here... not a cloud in the sky. The kids are begging me to light the barbque tonight. My stomach is in knots at the thought of a great glass of wine and a good steak. I want to tell them "no bbq" but why should they miss out because of my weaknesses.....
Old 10-10-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on 3 days! I just wanted to say I'm on day 4 and also feeling good after having drank just a bit less than you (wine also) for years. Maybe we are lucky!

Keep up the great progress.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBee View Post
Great job on 3 days! I just wanted to say I'm on day 4 and also feeling good after having drank just a bit less than you (wine also) for years. Maybe we are lucky!

Good luck to you too. I have pretty bad cravings tonight and am now understanding what people meant when they asked what are my "triggers".. so far have identified the need to have a glass on the go whilst I am pottering around the kitchen cooking and the need to chill out when my children are being difficult. But no withdrawal symptoms which is great. How are you doing?
Old 10-10-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I commented on your other thread as well. Towards the end of my madness, I would get lucky and be able to drink pretty hard, but made sure to eat and drink water or gatorade before bed and get away with it most of the time. But for whatever reason, sometimes I didn't get away with it, and paid dearly. I think the worst I suffered would medically be considered moderate withdrawal, but it was bad enough for me to make me want to not go through it again. Mild shakes, mild sweats, insomnia, no appetite etc...I can't imagine severe withdrawal, I can completely understand why it can be fatal. So if you were able to quit cold turkey without much sickness, consider it a blessing. Good job on your decision. Next step in the process....make it stick.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ending day 4 and only mild fatigue but I've also been traveling. I know what you mean about triggers. There will probably be many. At least I sure have them regularly which goes to show I had several excuses to drink. I read that it's very wise to recognize them and then do something different to replace the wine. For example, I had cranberry juice with dinner instead of wine and I just might do that for a while.

You are doing great. Let's keep going because as someone else said, gotta make it stick!
Old 10-11-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"missing out" of your kids bbq is WHAT YOU USED TO DO. Living a fairly unconscious life. Now your kids won't ever miss out on a healthy, happy, energetic, full of life person, and you wont ever have to miss out on seeing the real world they live in. I hope that makes sense. We do not miss out, we gain the world. It's a hard concept in early sobriety. I am on day 4 after a year sober and three days drinking. The truth of what I just said has come to me in full force. Well done!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me the first week of detox I physically felt unwell and really really tired. Look at this way, your body has taken a battering all that time of heavy drinking, it now is in the process of healing. Allow yourself to rest, its not called recovery for nothing! Day 3 is amazing going, its not easy going those early days of detox and recovery. I drank a lot of antioxiant drinks early days it helped.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tabasco View Post
"missing out" of your kids bbq is WHAT YOU USED TO DO. Living a fairly unconscious life. Now your kids won't ever miss out on a healthy, happy, energetic, full of life person, and you wont ever have to miss out on seeing the real world they live in. I hope that makes sense. We do not miss out, we gain the world. It's a hard concept in early sobriety. I am on day 4 after a year sober and three days drinking. The truth of what I just said has come to me in full force. Well done!!!!!!!
Well said. Thinking about it all I used to do at bar b ques was ask the children to "be a love and top Mummys glass up.. being sure not to ask the same child to often". What I sad person I am. Day 4 today. Doing good.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 3 is fantastic Fabat!! Keep it going!!
Old 10-11-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBee View Post

I messed it up already. How are you doing? Give me some hope... I am starting again tomorrow..
Old 10-12-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

have you got a plan Fabat ?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
have you got a plan Fabat ?
Let me speak honestly sober wolf... I am in that nice chilled buzzing place at the moment. Will you ask me that question again in the morning. Please.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Fabat, I'm closing out day 6 and every day is better than the last. I hope you find the strength to regroup and start again. I promise it's worth it.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was a bottle to bottle and a half drinker a night too for many years I never thought I could go a week and failed many times. This time around I decided not to budge and give in and I am on day 111. if I can do it I am sure you can too. tomorrows a new day !!