Notices

New here

Old 10-09-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

I've been looking around online for something like this. Like all alcoholics, I think my story is unique, but it isn't. I'm 44 years old, successful, great wife, kids, etc. I went through an ugly divorce about 7 years ago- wife started seeing someone at her work. Was always a regular drinker- started heavy drinking for about 3 mo when she left (a fifth or more every other day- 2- 1.75 liters a week). I did outpatient rehab, didn't drink at all for about 15 months. On a trip to Hawaii with girlfriend (current wife) I thought a couple of beers would be ok. That soon turned into beer every night. We got married and a few beers turned into me sneaking a couple of the 100ml "pocket rocket" jack Daniels a night. That has been going on for three years now. Wife knows at football games, etc I drink some whiskey, but she doesn't know of my daily trips to the liquor store on the way home for two and sometimes 3 pocket rockets. I think she is suspicious at times, but she just doesn't understand the world of an alcoholic. She is an occasional beer drinker.
I realized some time ago it makes no sense, I'm not drinking with buddies for the social aspect, and I am concerned my health and marriage is going to suffer- so I quit Sunday night. It has been mostly a matter of getting out of the habit with some craving and I noticed I've been sweating at night.
My biggest concern is I have a "high bottom" in that I am an alcoholic, but my life is otherwise in order, I'm not one to get hammered and make a fool of myself, etc. I go to bed at a decent hour so I won't feel as bad in the morning. I want to make this change, but since things have not gone to hell with my life- I'm concerned I will let my brain trick me into thinking it is ok to have a few drinks when the game is on etc and I'll soon be back in the same rut/ ditch again drinking everyday.
Anyone relate to this?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you joined and posted.

Be happy that you have made this choice at a time when things are not too bad. And, take into account that recovery is more than just stopping drinking. I had to make other changes in my life as far as people/places, etc.

Know for sure that alcoholism is a progressive disease and that it will get worse unless you stop drinking. You've made a great decision for yourself and your family. I hope that you find so many positive changes in your life when you stop drinking that you will not be tempted to drink again.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum KidsEverywhere!!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback and welcome. A real good point you raise that I had forgotten when I was active in AA and in my outpatient rehab- the longer you drink- the deeper you get and the worse off you are going to be!
It is just crazy- I look at folks who smoke or folks who struggle with their weight and think: "dont they know that is a dead end road they need to make a change". Meanwhile, I would always have some excuse or justification to myself for my daily liquor habit. Insanity personified.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Kidseverywhere

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-09-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kids -- I can relate. I also stopped before things had gotten very bad (yet). I think no matter when we stop, working at our recovery in an organized way is important. I think addiction has a way of coming after us, whether we stopped early or later, because addiction just wants one thing ... it wants us to keep drinking. Staying in touch with other recovering alcoholics helps me remember this.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate, for sure. Although I drank a profound amount of wine I didn't go out and raise hell, just sat at home and got drunk. I feared that I wouldn't be able to carry on sober but the opposite has been true. I didn't lose something that brought me joy, I gained freedom from something that brought me misery.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KidsEverywhere View Post
My biggest concern is I have a "high bottom" in that I am an alcoholic, but my life is otherwise in order, I'm not one to get hammered and make a fool of myself, etc. I go to bed at a decent hour so I won't feel as bad in the morning. I want to make this change, but since things have not gone to hell with my life.

Hi.
Add the word YET: You’re Eligible Too.

As a reminder alcohol is powerful, cunning, baffling, insidious along with being progressive even if we don’t drink it.
Getting sober is one thing, long term recovery is where most fall to the roadside because work and change are required and it does not happen quickly.

Keep coming and perhaps join a face to face organization where people help people also. I needed to pack my ego and ask for help on a daily basis like it or not because IY WORKS.

BE WELL