Notices

This is a first for me.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is a first for me.

Hello.

I just joined my first ever forum. I don't know what kind of things newcomers typically say here. My story is pretty simple.. I have always loved to drink and party... I was a social drinker in my 20s, a heavy drinker in my 30s, a functioning alcoholic (whatever that may mean) throughout my 40s and now on the eve of my 50th birthday I am no longer functioning. I am a drunk. I decided 48 hours ago that I had had my last ever drink. I am sitting here feeling terrible. Dizzy, exhausted, lonely, depressed. I am having dfficulty getting out of bed.

Hope to find some support and inspiration here.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Fabat you come to the right place SR is full of advice help & support from caring ppl who have been where you are

Nice to meet you
Old 10-09-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fabat,
yeah, your post is kind of what newcomers "typically" say

welcome.
i found i was a drunk, too. i was 51 when i finally saw that. haven't had a drink since that realization hit me full force (years ago)
i joined a forum and participated daily and found a secular peer-support meeting in my town i attended once a week. i read lots of "recovery stories" about how others quit and stayed that way.

all this to say that quitting and staying quit are entirely doable. by you, too. hope you find the support you're looking for...check out all sorts of threads here and you'll be amazed at the variety of views and "what works".
Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, you will find a lot of support here! We've all been through what you are dealing with right now and understand. Read as many posts as you can and post as much as you can. It would be a good idea for you to check in with a doctor about quitting cold turkey after drinking for so many years. Withdraw can be very dangerous.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! Good to hear you've decided that it's time for a change. Have you got any plans for what to do when cravings hit?

This is a great place, stay close and read EVERYTHING
Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You never have to drink again if your sick and tired of being sick and tired and want to live another way.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome..this forum is a great place with the lovely people and support..your not alone..
Old 10-09-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carver View Post
Welcome! Good to hear you've decided that it's time for a change. Have you got any plans for what to do when cravings hit?

This is a great place, stay close and read EVERYTHING
My plan A for when the initial cravings hit (like 24 hours ago) was to hide under the covers for a week and be brave! However have realised today that I need a plan B and am just back from my very supportive Doctors with an action plan for the next few days. (He wants me to go into rehab but I can't as I have family commitments with young children).
Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
Welcome, you will find a lot of support here! We've all been through what you are dealing with right now and understand. Read as many posts as you can and post as much as you can. It would be a good idea for you to check in with a doctor about quitting cold turkey after drinking for so many years. Withdraw can be very dangerous.
I saw my Dr this afternoon. He is very supportive (not wanting me to go cold turkey and would prefer to hospitalise me but I can't). He has given me some meds, advice and I need to check in with him regularly.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome. Sounds like you are off to a great safe start! It gets better. Once the physical withdraw is over the cravings will start. Be ready for that. Drink lots of water, take showers, have sweets and food handy, and post what's on your mind!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you get through this detox with the help of your doctor.

And, you have found a great place to come for support.

As others have said, making a plan for how to get through the early days and weeks is very important.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I decided enough was enough at 53. 6 years sober and these 6 years have been better than the 53
Old 10-09-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have been browsing through some of the threads to familiarise myself with this forum. It seems amazing in terms of information and supportive people. But one thing I have noticed is that even just reading posts with the words " wine" or "vodka" etc in them is provoking my cravings. Simply reading the word "wine" is making me imagine sipping that first glass. Is it normal that even written words trigger that reaction in me???
Old 10-09-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Fabat50.

That's normal initially. But, over time the obsession will pass. You'll be feeling very emotionally 'raw' as well most probably. And I remember really struggling to focus on anything very well. Even the most simple magazine article needed double-reading to get the jist.

So lovely to hear you have a supportive doctor. Not all are you know! Have you considered any face to face support groups? There is some good information about the various options here.... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Personally I have found AA to be a fantastic support network, and am happy to answer any questions that you might have on that as much as I can - just feel free to ask.

You may have already come across HALT being mentioned on here. It's a good way of remembering the four most common triggers to try to avoid...
Hunger : (eat small meals regularly to keep your blood sugar nice and level as this will help your mood / emotions stay as in-balance as possible)
Anger : Try to avoid people / places / chores that are likely to invoke frustration as much as possible while you're getting used to existence without the old crutch alcohol to offer some relief.
Lonely: Try to avoid isolating. Once you're lonely, self-pity can quickly follow - and our AV's (alcoholic voices) just love a bit of self-pity as it gives them lots of ammunition to get us to cave in to that first drink.
Tired: Your body and mind will need rest. This might not look like proper sleep in the first week or so. Bubble baths; favourite films and books (feel-good ones); cuddles with pets or nice people - as long as you're relaxing as much as possible it can only help.

Again - welcome aboard the forum And best wishes for a gentle sober journey to serenity and recovery.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Fabat50, anything can trigger you in the early days, I sometimes read threads on here and feel an urge, but it's dealing with those urges (learning how to) that will help you through. Lots of luck and be strong. I'm soon to be 50 and I'm just 6 months sober, never felt better, and certainly feel a lot younger than I did a year ago. Your tracking of the decades reads VERY familiar to me. We're with you on this! Good luck.
xx
Old 10-09-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you found us.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, Fabat50. I am glad you are here with us!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Fabat50, nice to see you. This is a great place.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Fabat. Don't hesitate to get medical attention if you feel really terrible. Detox is brutal and dangerous.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, Fabat, to SR; glad you found us.

Here are some links which you may find helpful for urges and cravings:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

You may also want to join a Class; here is the link for the Class of October 2015:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2015-a.html