Notices

Need to stop...

Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to stop...

Hi, I've been trying to curb my drinking and I've had mixed results. I've been doing OK for a while, having a couple drinks and being able to stop but now I to be slipping backwards. I binge drink and have been drinking a lot of vodka, which I know screws with my head and causes problems in my life, but do it anyway.

So after two (recent -there have been more) massive rows with my other half, and one mental meltdown after another I've decided to quit for good.

I should probably add I'm hung over today and feeling pretty ill - anxiety, bad guts, shakes etc.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, jimmyhow; you'll find plenty of support, understanding and encouragement here.

Drink lots of water or Gatorade today; try to eat small and light meals; get some fresh air if you can and plenty of rest.

Moderation doesn't work for us alcoholics - only permanent abstinence. It may sound frightening at first but it is truly a far better way.

Glad you found us.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Jimmy: I think you've made a great decision and congratulations for doing so. The initial withdrawals are no fun at all, but take care of yourself - SoberLeigh had some great suggestions to help with that. And remember that withdrawals are only temporary, plus you never have to go through them again if you don't want to!

I think just about all of us reached a point in our drinking that we really started losing control in a big way. I drank for 2 decades plus and for part of it I did "control" my drinking to the point where it wasn't affecting my life all that bad, but toward the end it got really, really bad. Like I HAD to drink every day just to keep my heart rate down and to keep from having heart palpitations.

The good news is though that there's a solution to almost all of those problems. You'll find a lot of support here on SR to help you quit and stay quit - because there is more to being sober than just "not drinking". Stick around and take it easy on yourself these next few days.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi jimmyhow, glad you found the site
Welcome to SR
Old 10-09-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've only been here three days but it's helping tremendously. Welcome
Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, jimmyhow,

It is so worth it to stop. I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness in the beginning. Sleep, food, TV, I went to AA meetings and spent a lot of time on this site.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome! Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome it's much appreciated. I'm feeling a bit fragile and alone today...and already thinking about Xmas, new years etc etc when I know it is gonna be hard not to drink. It seems so daunting at te moment.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome JimmyHow
Old 10-09-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum JimmyHow!!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya JimmyHow and welcome to SR.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jimmy just worry about staying sober today. It doesn't work for us to drink, right? I drank for everything, so there will always be some event or occasion. I have to not drink no matter what - Christmas, Tuesday, whatever.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome Jimmy: I think you've made a great decision and congratulations for doing so. The initial withdrawals are no fun at all, but take care of yourself - SoberLeigh had some great suggestions to help with that. And remember that withdrawals are only temporary, plus you never have to go through them again if you don't want to!

I think just about all of us reached a point in our drinking that we really started losing control in a big way. I drank for 2 decades plus and for part of it I did "control" my drinking to the point where it wasn't affecting my life all that bad, but toward the end it got really, really bad. Like I HAD to drink every day just to keep my heart rate down and to keep from having heart palpitations.

The good news is though that there's a solution to almost all of those problems. You'll find a lot of support here on SR to help you quit and stay quit - because there is more to being sober than just "not drinking". Stick around and take it easy on yourself these next few days.
Excellent advice!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Welcome! Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life.
You won't regret this decision!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimmyhow View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome it's much appreciated. I'm feeling a bit fragile and alone today...and already thinking about Xmas, new years etc etc when I know it is gonna be hard not to drink. It seems so daunting at te moment.
I have found that I just need to take things one day at a time and try not to think too far ahead. This helps with keeping me sane which is an ongoing challenge. Alcoholism and mental illness runs in my family so I'm extra aware of all the dangers. I sense you are good at taking on daunting things so you will do well. Tell yourself that!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Jimmy just worry about staying sober today. It doesn't work for us to drink, right? I drank for everything, so there will always be some event or occasion. I have to not drink no matter what - Christmas, Tuesday, whatever.
Tuesdays tend to challenging days for me. It's hard to get through the weekends too. Mondays are hell as everybody is trying to catch up for what didn't get done over the weekend. So it feels like on Tuesdays I'm am trying to recover from the Mondays.

Fridays: Oh my God. Fridays tend to be indescribable for me...it's a combination of D-day and Pearl Harbor.

*sigh* Life is full of challenges that's for sure...so the only way to go about it is to do it one day at a time and sometimes just one hour at a time! You'll get through it all and stay sober if you do cleansing rituals with you mind everyday and try to get rid of all the junk that is cluttering your brain.

I know this all might sound a little weird, but hey-I'm just kinda weird and always have been...
Old 10-10-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and support everybody. I made it through yesterday in one piece! Think I'll just concentrate on today and not get caught up worrying about future events.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Jimmy

D
Old 10-10-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
Old 10-10-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yay!

Just get through today. The thoughts are going to come, just distract yourself away from them when they do. I usually just acknowledge the thought, "Hm, there's a drinking thought." and then let it go - I find something else to think about, even if it's just concentrating on my breathing for a couple minutes. The thought will pass, and I don't have to drink.