Notices

want to stop drinking

Old 10-08-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

want to stop drinking

hello
for the past year or so i have drank every single day
it's cost me 3 jobs, my physique, my families respect and is now killing my mind. i feel confused and slow
i have to stop before i do any more damage

my drink of choice has always been cider. whiskey or ale is a treat when i can afford it. a regular night would be 4 liters of cider, but eventually that stopped working. i'd start drinking after work and would feel sober by the time i went to bed. so i moved to 8% white cider and just drank till i blacked out every night

i also started drinking in the day, i'd have a beer on the bus to work, and i'd drink at work, just chugging beers whenever i found an excuse to slink off for a minute. i hid them above the ceiling tiles in the bathroom

tonight will be my first sober night for as long as i can remember. it's just past 10pm, shop shuts in half an hour so that's the point of no return. today has been alright, though i can't stop shaking. i have no sweating or nausea though. people have said to watch out for anxiety but it's something i've never had a problem with and i don't really know what the signs of it are. i generally feel ok but i know the effects can ramp up over the week

my appetite is enormous i've done nothing but eat all day
i'm kinda bored
i don't know many people thanks to drinking so i just needed to tell somebody

thanks for reading
Old 10-08-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard to do the first day. Well done. Hope you're finding some helpful stories and posts here. You've taken a big first step. Keep on keepin' on!

Pixie
Old 10-08-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, twofeets. I am glad you are here with us. I have received a lot of support and helpful advice from the good people here.

Poke around. Read the threads. Check out the chat room if there is anyone in there. Post when you feel ready.

Just know that we are here to help, and that we understand what you are going through because we have been where you are.

Good luck. And welcome.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck in quitting

I think your next step would be to come up with a plan, even if its just "I wont drink at all ever today or tomorrow" to start out small.

We've all been there and came to the point where its caused a mess, but its only when we remain abstinent from alcohol, that we see the mess being cleaned up.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, twofeet.

Don't hesitate to seek medical assistance if your withdrawals symptoms concern you. Do you have anyone with you to monitor your symptoms?
Old 10-08-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Twofeet
Old 10-08-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well then for the love of all that is holy.... QUIT DRINKING!!!

It's really that simple. But it's not easy.

For me, an important shift in finally getting it and improving my life immeasurably was moving my focus from "quitting drinking" to "embracing sobriety".

It really made a huge difference for me.

AA, this forum, counseling, exercise, changes in lifestyle.... journaling... lots of tools have gone into my journey of sobriety but probably the greatest asset has been choosing to see it not as something I had to stop, something I had to lose out on, something I had to never do again - but as something I really wanted as a basis for a life of joy and goodness.

welcome.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here's The Deal:

Originally Posted by twofeets View Post
hello
for the past year or so i have drank every single day
it's cost me 3 jobs, my physique, my families respect and is now killing my mind. i feel confused and slow
i have to stop before i do any more damage

my drink of choice has always been cider. whiskey or ale is a treat when i can afford it. a regular night would be 4 liters of cider, but eventually that stopped working. i'd start drinking after work and would feel sober by the time i went to bed. so i moved to 8% white cider and just drank till i blacked out every night

i also started drinking in the day, i'd have a beer on the bus to work, and i'd drink at work, just chugging beers whenever i found an excuse to slink off for a minute. i hid them above the ceiling tiles in the bathroom

tonight will be my first sober night for as long as i can remember. it's just past 10pm, shop shuts in half an hour so that's the point of no return. today has been alright, though i can't stop shaking. i have no sweating or nausea though. people have said to watch out for anxiety but it's something i've never had a problem with and i don't really know what the signs of it are. i generally feel ok but i know the effects can ramp up over the week

my appetite is enormous i've done nothing but eat all day
i'm kinda bored
i don't know many people thanks to drinking so i just needed to tell somebody

thanks for reading
Here's the deal: If want to be successful in recovery you've got to have a plan for when you are feeling the urge to take a drink...I don't hesitate to call my sponser when I feeling really really tempted. I do some deep breathing, make some fresh coffee, go for a long walk outside, phone a friend, read a good book...there are a lot things a person can do, so it's good to have a plan ready and to KNOW the plan. Hope this helps...
Old 10-08-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. it means a lot to know that others have been where i am right now and made it

i have family but they are not like me. talking about my feelings or problems is not something i ever do or have done with them. my mother knows i drink but i don't think she knows how bad it is. she remembers me when i was younger and stronger and probably wouldn't understand what i'm turning into. i don't really want her to know

i plan to begin exercising again, i have my own bench and weights at home that have been miserably sitting in the corner for the past 2 years. i also need to get my mind going again, learn a new skill... will think on it

but for the next few days i just wanna eat and watch junk tv, go for a quiet walk... and not drink. i will report back. thanks again
Old 10-08-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, twofeets. It helped me so much to be here where people truly understood. No one in my real life got it. We're glad you're here.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! We get it, all of it, so you have found the right place. Glad to have you here and congrats on making such a positive change in your life.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by twofeets View Post
thanks everyone. it means a lot to know that others have been where i am right now and made it

i have family but they are not like me. talking about my feelings or problems is not something i ever do or have done with them. my mother knows i drink but i don't think she knows how bad it is. she remembers me when i was younger and stronger and probably wouldn't understand what i'm turning into. i don't really want her to know

i plan to begin exercising again, i have my own bench and weights at home that have been miserably sitting in the corner for the past 2 years. i also need to get my mind going again, learn a new skill... will think on it

but for the next few days i just wanna eat and watch junk tv, go for a quiet walk... and not drink. i will report back. thanks again
Have a nice break, have a nice walk, stay sober. It sounds like you are doing well. Good to hear about your plan...It sounds like a good one.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Spend a lot of time reading (and occasionally posting) on this website, that will help. Some of us needed the additional support of face to face help in the beginning. For me, when I finally got desperate enough, that was AA.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Twofeets!!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you join us twofeets - welcome

D
Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!

This is the right place to come to talk about however you're feeling and write here if you feel like drinking too, it's helped me a few times just by typing and getting instant messages back, the moment has passed.

Don't worry about eating junk for now, the calories you're saving by not drinking the cider are going to outweigh or equalise that for now! Enjoy food, give in to some cravings to help get through the first few days. For me it was comfort foods, mashed potato, macaroni cheese, some instant meals, then soups, ginger nut biscuits, dark chocolate. Do a shop and treat yourself to a whole basket of goodies, just avoid the alcohol aisle.

You may feel a gaping hole to begin with just because of the time drinking took up - thinking about it, buying it, planning it, desiring it, actually drinking it, recovering from it, it was a full time business.

Find something to get engrossed in - films, tv, exercise, walking or just sleep if you can. I've been doing lots of that in the last 32 days and I've gone from 2 bottles of wine a night to nothing. I'm starting to not miss it and I'm starting to really enjoy it not being a part of my life. Can't believe that's me saying that, it was my best friend, my partner, my lover, my everything. Not anymore, pah!!!

Good luck : )))
Old 10-09-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here's some links Twofeet

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html