Notices

I want to quit right now!

Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to quit right now!

I've come to the realization the other day I need to quit. I can't deal with the issues or feelings of being sick every single day.

The problem is that I'm scared of the detox, if it would even be a factor to quit cold turkey. I have to wait until Friday to see my doctor for her recommendation on quitting cold turkey. I've been feeling like hell dealing with stomach pain, likely from the alcohol that I want to just stop right now! I don't think my doctor is even going to touch on the withdrawals besides recommending treatment, so I'll probably have to wait until Monday for this abuse counselor to address the actual quitting.

I'm sorry, I'm just between a rock and a hard place, has anyone gone from a bottle a night cold turkey before? When I went to rehab in 2012 I was about the same, and didn't have issues. Then again in 2013 when I had to leave the country for work for 7 months I didn't get anything besides not being able to sleep. Now just seems different though, it seems like the alcohol has a larger toll on my body to even risk going cold turkey without any supervision or medication.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi help seeker
A bottle of what a night?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi help seeker
A bottle of what a night?
70 proof rum. I use handles so I can't truly calculate, but roughly 24-30oz a night.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do think that each detox gets harder and possibly more dangerous, so talking to your dr is a good idea.

If you really want to stop now, how about going to an ER?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I was drinking at your level and it almost killed me. I got sicker than I thought it was possible to get sick and my blood pressure sky rocketed to very dangerous levels. They stabilized me in the hospital ER but it taught me a lesson. Withdrawal is nothing to screw around with..

Personally I would look for a medically supervised detox center. Your GP my or may not know much about detox but detox centers are experts
Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to mess with. I'd see a doctor for help with getting thru it safely.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by helpseeker1989 View Post
I've come to the realization the other day I need to quit. I can't deal with the issues or feelings of being sick every single day.

The problem is that I'm scared of the detox, if it would even be a factor to quit cold turkey. I have to wait until Friday to see my doctor for her recommendation on quitting cold turkey. I've been feeling like hell dealing with stomach pain, likely from the alcohol that I want to just stop right now! I don't think my doctor is even going to touch on the withdrawals besides recommending treatment, so I'll probably have to wait until Monday for this abuse counselor to address the actual quitting.

I'm sorry, I'm just between a rock and a hard place, has anyone gone from a bottle a night cold turkey before? When I went to rehab in 2012 I was about the same, and didn't have issues. Then again in 2013 when I had to leave the country for work for 7 months I didn't get anything besides not being able to sleep. Now just seems different though, it seems like the alcohol has a larger toll on my body to even risk going cold turkey without any supervision or medication.
You'll feel so much better with alcohol out of your! (smile)
Old 10-07-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another vote for a medically supervised detox, you don't want to screw around trying to detox by yourself.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Helpseeker, are you drinking to help you sleep, or just because its habit now (I guess it doesn't really matter, none of my business). Anyway, do you think you can reduce your intake? Just cut back a little each day before you see your doctor? I know you want to quit right now, but it would be a start, right?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your input, I know detox is serious business which is why I'm scared to just jump right into it. I'm hoping I can get a prescription for benzos to take from my doctor on Friday. I'm going to be cutting back in the meantime until then since I can't just quit entirely. The problem is, as an addict, I sometimes neglect when I should stop and not have another drink.

I really would like to avoid going into treatment. I'm unemployed right now, and I really don't want to put the costs of treatment a third time on my family, twice 8 years ago for drugs.

How long do real withdrawal risks last? Like the serious ones like DTs and seizures. I don't know if it's worth mentioning but during the day I generally feel no urge to drink as it is. I sometimes feel bouts of dizziness or disconnected to my body and slight shakiness which I think may be connected to possible developed anemia which my doctor said I was at risk for back in August from blood tests.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Helpseeker!!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi.
Not negating medical help many can also seek next to free help from places like this site along with becoming acquainted and spending a lot of time at places like AA meetings for personal contacts, even if we don’t want to.

Most recovery operations will work IF WE WORK THEM. By this I mean long term.

BE WELL
Old 10-08-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Around 24 - 30oz of rum every 24 hours? For how many days / weeks / months?

More than likely, yeah, you'll experience some withdrawals. Unless you're Superman your body can't naturally metabolize that amount of alcohol, so you can expect some decent withdrawals when you stop. Most likely, the longer you've been drinking at this daily consumption level, the worse the withdrawals will be.

As everyone else said, if worried, make sure to see your doctor, as detoxing by yourself can be fatal even. Hang in there, detox is no fun. Trust me, I unfortunately have quite a bit of experience in that department. We're always here for support though.

Everyone's body is different, hence why a medical detox may be best. However, general rule of thumb is, 96 hours and you're in the clear. That's not all cases of course, but the majority.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Helpseeker, I'm really glad you are reaching out for help. 2 previous rehab stints and once gain in a bit of a jam, I am 100% rooting for you and support you. It sounds as if you need it.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I hope you stay quit after this detox as each failed attempt to quit gets harder at least in my opinion. Jeff lightly mentioned tapering if you could at least cut back and you stated you aren't able too. I think this qualifies you to get emergency help now.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Is rehab a possibility. They can detox you, get you a little clean time and start to your journey.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome helpseeker

Like others have said if you want to quit now, and the only thing keeping you drinking is fear of withdrawal, I'd really get a Dr involved ASAP- whether it's your usual guy with an emergency appointment, a new doctor, or the ER.

I'm glad you found us - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 10-08-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Helpseeker
Old 10-08-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
I hope you stay quit after this detox as each failed attempt to quit gets harder at least in my opinion.
I can attest to this. The kindling effect is real. I remember when I first joined SR, I had actually detoxed myself dozens of times prior without even knowing it. I had no clue withdrawals even existed back then.

That's why I joined SR. Previously, I'd always drink myself under the table until my body shut down, then basically just become fatigued and sleep for a couple days, and the same minor physical symptoms always happened. Nothing major. I joined SR asking if there were any physical complications possible by quitting drinking.

That's when I learned about withdrawals, DTs, etc. I kept drinking though, and now if / when I detox, it's pretty much hell on earth. It's at the point where, considering how violently I shake when detoxing off whiskey, if I ever have to detox again (I'll never have to), I bet there's about a 75% chance of seizure.

However, comparing my experiences with the stories here, I get the impression my withdrawals are quite a bit harsher, but far shorter lived. I don't know, I boil it down to I guess my body is still quite strong, plus good DNA, so my body cleans itself quickly. I think I get about 4 days of withdrawals within a 24 hour period, then it's over. After that, I'm completely fatigued and sleep for the next 24 hours, and then am fine.

Some people go through a week of hell, but seem to be able to function during that week, at least at a basic level. For me, during that first 24 hours, I can't even make toast. I'm completely non-functioning. Again, everyone's body is different.

Nonetheless, not fun. Make this detox your last one. We're here for you.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

24/30 oz is like 16-20 servings a day. That is a hefty amount and your body has become dependent on it. Darn. I would drink 6-12 beers on a given night depending on the occasion, and I experienced minor withdrawals which were still pretty crappy. I couldnt imagine what worse ones are like.

But with that much alcohol I would imagine your withdrawals could be rather harsh and miserable. Some people can detox on their own but at your level I would think that is highly dangerous and like everyone else has said, Id seek medical help. You can rack up the costs of detox and do it safely, or you could go into serious withdrawals, rack up even more medical costs and possibly die. Id think the detox is the logical choice.