Do Addicts Drive You Crazy?

Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do Addicts Drive You Crazy?

I think I'm Half Crazy

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of myself. Every now and then something just gets touched off in my brain like a spark or something...I've haven't quite figured it out yet, but here's an example of what happened one day:

I was called to jury duty and they started to make their selections. I was called for the first round of selections. So, they start to ask their usual questions and what not and when it came time the first question was, "Is there anyone here who might be biased and unfair toward the defendant"

I answered, "I would".

The judge asked me why that would be.

I answered, "Because I can tell he's guilty just by looking at him,"

The judge said, "That's no reason to get out of jury duty."

So I said, "Okay-I know every person that is working in this courtroom so that would be a conflict of interest."

The judge then got a little huffy about it and then said, "Oh alright then you're excused"

(I just did not feel like doing jury duty that day}

So I hopped right down from there and made my way out the door.

See, my switch flipped on and my energy got going and I got my way.

Later that evening..I told my husband about it and he goes, "No you didn't! Nobody argues with judge __________. "See, my husband knows all the judges in our neck of the woods and all the court officials AND most of the cops. He used to play basketball with them during his lunch hour. So to me that is a conflict of interest. PLUS his daughter was one our babysitters at the time. Another conflict of interest.

Yeah, pretty sure I'm just about half crazy. That's what my dad used to say a lot.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pia

I don't think your crazy you were honest.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, what Pia said. I would have said the same thing... it is a conflict. I live in a small town (sounds like you do too?) and I would have the same issue with jury duty...

But.... I know I've definitely had times that I've felt like I have been driven crazy by living with my A. You're not alone there!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exactly how would knowing the Judge on a Jury trial, or knowing people that work at the Court be a conflict of interest? Unless you were personal close friends with the attorneys, or friends/associated with the Defendant there is no conflict.

(I just did not feel like doing jury duty that day} No one does.

As you have described a strange and unusual Voir Dire. Usually an admission that you cannot be unbiased with explanation IS enough reason to excuse.

Honestly this appears to you wanting to describe more about your glee in getting out of jury duty than a story relative to an addict driving you crazy.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think maybe you mentioned in another thread that you are a recovering addict or alcoholic yourself? I think a lot of As struggle with impulse control and a sense of entitlement. I'm a recovering alcoholic and my parents were both alcoholics, and I know I have to keep a careful eye on my own tendency to feel that I deserve exceptions to rules or special treatment. You might get better insights into the character flaws of addicts and how to recover from them on the recovering A side than from the friends and family on this side.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kboys View Post
Yeah, what Pia said. I would have said the same thing... it is a conflict. I live in a small town (sounds like you do too?) and I would have the same issue with jury duty...

But.... I know I've definitely had times that I've felt like I have been driven crazy by living with my A. You're not alone there!
I totally get that! You're not alone...my A drives me completely bonkers!
Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Exactly how would knowing the Judge on a Jury trial, or knowing people that work at the Court be a conflict of interest? Unless you were personal close friends with the attorneys, or friends/associated with the Defendant there is no conflict.

As you have described a strange and unusual Voir Dire. Usually an admission that you cannot be unbiased with explanation IS enough reason to excuse.

Honestly this appears to you wanting to describe more about your glee in getting out of jury duty than a story relative to an addict driving you crazy.
So much this. This tale is recounted in another thread, and at least there, your Xanax withdrawal is mentioned. Here, there is no mention of anything that actually pertains to an addict that I can see.

I'm uncertain as to the intent of this thread, as well as the other...
Old 10-07-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jjj111 View Post
I think maybe you mentioned in another thread that you are a recovering addict or alcoholic yourself? I think a lot of As struggle with impulse control and a sense of entitlement. I'm a recovering alcoholic and my parents were both alcoholics, and I know I have to keep a careful eye on my own tendency to feel that I deserve exceptions to rules or special treatment. You might get better insights into the character flaws of addicts and how to recover from them on the recovering A side than from the friends and family on this side.
I'm a recovering alcoholic; been sober for a long time and relapsed this year. There are a lot of alcoholics in my family, so I'm also a co-ependent. I've been taking Xanax for about 6 years, but decided to quit recently.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post

Excellent questions and that's why me and judge got in a little huff.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drive me crazy.

Fortunately (and unfortunately because no one else is to blame) no one else has the power to drive me crazy unless I give them that power.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

TTO, I'm wondering if you're having fun at our expense? You've posted about both a boyfriend and a husband. Not sure how that works?
Old 10-09-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

TTO, I'm wondering if you're having fun at our expense? You've posted about both a boyfriend and a husband. Not sure how that works?
I told you I was at least half crazy, so maybe that explains it.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're implying that she can't have both...

:-P
Old 10-09-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm implying that this poster doesn't have a consistent story and acts like a troll. Read her thread on the FFSA forum about her boyfriend building bombs, and you'll see what I mean.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just did, incidentally. I agree with you...