Notices

Starting to get tremors after drinking...

Old 10-07-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting to get tremors after drinking...

I am sure not a good sign.

If I don't drink for a day or two they go away.

Do I risk them becoming permanant?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Therpy.

If the tremors go away when you don't drink, why not stop drinking.

The thought of a life without alcohol can be daunting; I know; I was there. But I absolutely love my sober life.

You could, too; why not give it a try!
Old 10-07-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tremors will never become permanent.

If you're having them WHILE drinking, I've had the same, and not a good sign. You may want to head to the hospital to at least get checked out, if not checked in for detox.

If you're getting them after drinking, that's quite normal. Depending on how bad they are, again, you may want to get to the hospital to get checked out, as they can cause things such as a seizure.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's not a good sign and definitely something you should see a doctor about. You risk a lot of things by continuing to drink, but we can't diagnose any of the medical risks here.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Therpy View Post
I am sure not a good sign.

If I don't drink for a day or two they go away.

Do I risk them becoming permanant?
I woke up this morning with my toes twitching. Have had tremors in my hands for the last couple days. Getting a little better though. Hopefully it will go away. We'll see how it goes.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
I woke up this morning with my toes twitching. Have had tremors in my hands for the last couple days. Getting a little better though. Hopefully it will go away. We'll see how it goes.

Hi.
Good sign! You woke up! What would happen if you were too passed out and couldn’t wake up, ask for internet advise then?

Again alcohol is a toxic substance and if consumed does not have any positive health benefits, usually takes healthy souls and make them miserable given time.
Hopefully stopping its intake can improve the mental emotional and physical part of us.

BE WELL
Old 10-07-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I would have tremors or shaky hands for a few days after a bender, always scared me but I never did anything about it. Then I wound up in the ER after a big bender and I haven't drank since. Guess what else.. never had a shaky hand or tremor since!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi.
Good sign! You woke up! What would happen if you were too passed out and couldn’t wake up, ask for internet advise then?

Again alcohol is a toxic substance and if consumed does not have any positive health benefits, usually takes healthy souls and make them miserable given time.
Hopefully stopping its intake can improve the mental emotional and physical part of us.

BE WELL
Yeah, takes me while to wake up. I tend to sleep in late and have been battling insomnia for several years. It's like I can't shut my brain off or something. I had to go on medication for it.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Therpy!!

The body has a great ability to repair but it needs a chance.

Why continue to risk something becoming permanent, take the steps now to draw a line under alcohol and not go further down the road when things may be irreversible in the future, alcohol is far from the friend it may claim to be at times!!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great advice and information all!

Yes, quitting is on my mind.

I have been a pretty heavy drinker for 40+ years but I always had a limit.

Now if I have one I have many and often drink to a blackout stage.

I do not have tremors during drinking, only the next day.

Getting close to admitting I cannot control the drinking.

I know I can live without it, and you are all an inspiration for that!
Old 10-07-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Therpy, if you've been a heavy drinker for 40+ years you really need to consider stopping. I'm very close to you in the number of years and it's taking a toll on my body. I'm going thru some liver tests right now and I'm scared! Don't have final results yet so I'm not going to panic yet, but.... I'm on 24th day sober and I intend to stay that way. If I can do it so can you.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done for sharing. Hopefully now you can see that what you describe is an experience many of us share. Drinking to blackout and having tremors after forty years of heavy drinking is a serious problem and unless you stop you will get more blackouts and more tremors. This is the time to commit yourself to action. You may not get many more chances to change direction.

But we do know the challenge and we want to support you. You're not alone in this.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Yeah, takes me while to wake up. I tend to sleep in late and have been battling insomnia for several years. It's like I can't shut my brain off or something. I had to go on medication for it.
The alcohol was causing my insomnia and I didn't realize it, I was trying to use alcohol to help with my insomnia without realizing it was causing it
Old 10-07-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that the alcohol is what is causing the tremors and shakes. It's not a good sign. You also mentioned that your drinking has increased, probably also not a good sign. Good job on joining the site, people will help you in every way they can.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I got tremors before the end of my drinking, then I had a seizure. I had all the tests and I don't have epilepsy so it's safe to say that my problems were entirely alcohol related.
I haven't really had them since I quit drinking, except when my Grandmother died and I was under severe stress. I wasn't drinking at that time. My neurologist said some people are just more susceptible to this, and I happen to be one of them.
So I would strongly recommend seeing a doctor.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Tremors will never become permanent.

If you're having them WHILE drinking, I've had the same, and not a good sign. You may want to head to the hospital to at least get checked out, if not checked in for detox.

If you're getting them after drinking, that's quite normal. Depending on how bad they are, again, you may want to get to the hospital to get checked out, as they can cause things such as a seizure.
My father has a permanent tremor from drinking. It is part of Wernickes caused by severe, long term thiamine deficiency from alcoholism. It is extreme, yes, but it can happen. Or at least that's what I'm told