Notices

Can't quit the 2 drinks a day

Old 10-07-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Can't quit the 2 drinks a day

I quit cold turkey 3 yrs ago and then my mother got sick and I headed to the liquor store. I kept it to a couple beers a week and now I have to have my 2 beers every day. I think I like that buzz feeling. I want to quit the 2 beers a day, I tried AA but they thought I had nothing to worry about. I didn't like the meetings..... I used to be a terrible binge drinker 4yrs ago and I did that for 15 yrs.

I think I just get bored and have my couple drinks to feel better, but I really don't feel better after I drink them, I end up falling asleep and wake up feeling terrible.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember someone saying here that it isn't how much we drink but how we feel when we drink and what happens to our lives when we drink that is the important thing. Sounds like you're right--it isn't working for you.

You might repost this in the newcomers thread--you probably will get a lot more responses.

Take care, taylord. I'm pulling for you!
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Matilda, I'm still trying to figure out the forum. I will repost in the newcomers.

I feel just as bad drinking 2 drinks as I did drinking 8 drinks. Thank You for replying.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 10-07-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. I also wasn't drinking very much the last few years. 2-3 microbrews or glasses of wine almost every night. But like you, it bothered me. My life had ground to a halt and the years were slipping away while I self-medicated.

I finally quit completely two years ago, with the help of SR, and my therapist. Once you take the booze away completely, life becomes much better and more interesting, ha ha. If you have any other issues, you will have the clarity to work on them. My life has changed significantly.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and if you want to stop drinking completely, then you will find lots of support here. Maybe you can plan to do something else in the evenings so you change your routine?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is every bit as valid a reason to quit as blackout drinking is:
"My life had ground to a halt and the years were slipping away while I self-medicated. "
"I feel just as bad drinking 2 drinks as I did drinking 8 drinks. "

Stand up for yourself and your life. These people at SR will support heck out of you.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just make the decision, my friend. It's what we all have to do.

Then go to bed sober. Repeat that tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Actually... yes. You can.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would study this sentence that you wrote yourself: I think I just get bored and have my couple drinks to feel better, but I really don't feel better after I drink them, I end up falling asleep and wake up feeling terrible.

That would be pretty convincing for me to stop drinking those 2 beers. I understand its much easier said than done, but logically, I would make every effort to pass on those 2 beers. 2 beers usually doesn't make someone feel terrible, so if it does, your body is telling you something. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Thomas,
It doesn't make any sense for me to drink those 2 beers, because I run the risk of becoming a binge drinker again and I don't want that again. Drinking a couple beers also causes me to have panic attacks. My mind and mood swirls downward. Tomorrow I'm going to work very hard on not having anything to drink. Thanks for the encouragement

Taylor
Old 10-07-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Adv bike

I feel bad about the 2 beers because I only drink in the morning, and even that gives me a headache for the rest of the day. I do drink to self medicate, I walk into the liquor store and watch people buying big bottles of booze every morning and I'm with my 24 ounce of beer, and I don't want to look like them. I used to look like them 4 yrs ago, so sick the next day..... I felt better when I drank nothing at all and I felt like doing activities. Thank you for replying back

taylor
Old 10-07-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bix Bee

Oh yes, I remember the black outs, and woke up one morning and my left leg just gave out and I fell and also falling in the bath tub and etc. I don't want to go back to that, plus beer made me fat. I quit drinking in 3 weeks after quitting, my weight and blood pressure dropped. Thanks for the support.

taylor
Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Anna

I need to change my morning routine, I drink my 2 beers in the morning. Many people are at the liquor store at 8 in the morning..... I lost my golden retriever last summer to cancer when she just turned 9 and I used to walk her in the morning, and I just have my 2 cats, my Therapist gives me all kinds of options and I don't listen to him. I'm checking out Meetup because they do offer Yoga in the morning and I'm going to some Brunches with other women.

Thanks for the support
taylor
Old 10-07-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can just not drink. If you think you can't then you won't stop drinking. Just substitute a sparkling water or ginger ale. You can do it.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The last couple of months I've been at one bottle of wine a week- 2 weeks, I couldn't figure out what the heel my problem is and why I can't just stop, so now I'm stopping :-)
I was a blackout drinker before too
Xoxo
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I finally quit binge drinking, I woke up at 2 in the morning feeling horrible and my world crumbling, I decided the next day to quit cold turkey, basically the first 3 days is the worse and after that it does get easier, and I need to do that again too.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm a alcoholic and just one drink brought me back to drinking a couple drinks everyday. I do not want to become a binge drinker again, I can not have any alcohol. Thanks for the support
taylor
Old 10-08-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Taylor,

You have done the hard work, you can do this.

Its not easy, but its so much easier now than if things go really south.

We are rooting for you.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If you really want to stop having the 2 drinks a day you could try missing one day a week on a regular basis until you no longer miss the two drinks on that day. Then try two days, repeat until you've dropped all the drinks. This is the method I used to quit, it might be easier for you too because you may not have a physical dependency, simply a psychological one. good luck