Notices

Guilt!

Old 10-06-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guilt!

I'm trying to get sober yet again. Doing ok so far but how do I stop feeling guilty about the things I've done and the money I have wasted and taken away from my family. I find myself in tears when alone and this almost overwhelming feeling of guilt comes over me. Does it get easier?
Old 10-06-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Adenough, you are FANTASTIC, glad you are doing ok. Your only human, so don't beat yourself up, rootin for ya.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't give up, the guilt will eventually fade, I have felt the same way and I'm sure many people here have too. Part of it is your body withdrawing from the alcohol.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it definitely gets easier. Many people on this site (including me) can relate to that awful guilt. It will fade in time. You are doing a great thing for yourself and your family :-)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can't fix the past only the present. Keep moving forward. We all have had moment's that quilt us. But don't let that stop you from you course. Yesterday is not who we are today. That's what you keep your focus on. Not what you did but what your doing NOW! Stay strong!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

It will get easier...be kind to yourself & just move forward....we can't change the past.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you all so much. I'm trying to concentrate on the here and now but not always easy. I'll just keep pushing on.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The guilt can be hard but you eventually learn to leave it behind you and reference the past only as a tool to keep focused on the course ahead. As time passes, you will continue to heal and those around you will begin to take notice. I was a horrible boss while I was back to drinking for part of this year and it took a toll on my relationship with my employee. Now that I've been sober for awhile again, the relationship is starting to repair itself. It just takes time. Stay strong and keep moving forward!
Old 10-07-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like you, I was overwhelmed by guilt and shame, too. I tried to muddle through it, but I realized that it was going to bring me back to drinking if I didn't do something to manage it. Someone here at SR recommended journaling and writing out those negative emotions when they hit. I was surprised by how much it helped.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Each day. Each week. The guilt will ease. Bit by bit.

I promise it will.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes it gets easier as time goes on my life is light years better than it used to be
Old 10-07-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you stick to not drinking, it absolutely gets easier Adenough.

Most of us here were consumed by regret, guilt, remorse, you name it and we have felt it. With time, you are able to accept the past for what it is... the past.

You have one thing you can control and that is your today.

You're doing great. Stay strong!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The more distance we put between our old life and the new Sober life we're building the more those feelings start to fade.

Hang in there, we can't change the past, but we can write the future!! A Sober, happier one!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing I can add here but to say - you're on the right road now adenough - you can trust it to get you where you need to be
Old 10-07-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adenough View Post
I'm trying to get sober yet again. Doing ok so far but how do I stop feeling guilty about the things I've done and the money I have wasted and taken away from my family. I find myself in tears when alone and this almost overwhelming feeling of guilt comes over me. Does it get easier?
You've got to find a way to release it somehow. I've been extremely tense and sort of agitated today. I'm probably going bonkers. That happens sometimes. But then, I'm an on the edge kind of gal...living on the edge...

Take a deep breath. It will be alright.