Notices

partner has gotten rid of/hidden the beer

Old 10-06-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

partner has gotten rid of/hidden the beer

i planned to quit on monday (yesterday) but my partner bought more beer and i didnt want to throw it away, yadda yadda yadda, excuses etc.

so last night i got drunk, really very drunk and cut my arms. i literally couldnt clear away the cans (and knife), turn off the tv etc so i went and threw up , got in bed and told my partner there was a mess downstairs. he said he would sort it. i have just realized my beer has gone. the box is in the bin so i guess the beer is in the car.

im kind of glad this has happened and he is helping me by getting rid of the beer. but it is such a shock when i didnt see it coming. would it have been better if i was forewarned? i dont know. i doubt it.

he has been acting pretty much the same as usual today, cuddles and chatting etc. he didnt mention the beer or that it was gone. he did sigh at me so i think he may have peeked at my arm this morning while i slept.

does anyone else have a partner ho doesnt seem to think that drinking is harming you? thats is how he always was. i dont know. im lucky to have a guy who doesnt detest me after a decade of this ****.

i am in shock though. what will i do tonight? how will i cope?
Old 10-06-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steph

while it's good that your partner is looking out for you, I really believe we need to look out for ourselves, yeah?

Our recovery really is our responsibility - we have to want to be sober and have our actions reflect that., I think.

Have you thought of something like AA or some other meeting based group to add to what you've been doing to try and stay sober?

D
Old 10-06-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi SM...glad you are here. I hope you will look at some local support...life free of the alcohol will get better.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's always going to be alcohol around, and your partner is probably going to be drinking at some stage, but there's no harm in him having a few beers tonight and then a few tomorrow, ALL the alcohol doesn't have to drank tonight, that's just our addiction talking.

Might be time to have either a chat to make sure he's clear on you are not drinking anymore but he can still drink, and then come up with some changes to your routine to maintain your Sobriety moving forward!!
Old 10-07-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Stepmadam
How are you today? I think its really more what you think? Do you think that alcohol is harming you? You're the only one that can take a drink, and the only one who can decide to stop....for you. You can do this if you really want it.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by stephmadam View Post
i am in shock though. what will i do tonight?
You can quit and break the cycle of your misery, or drink and continue it.

Originally Posted by stephmadam View Post
how will i cope?
Cope? Without drinking? With difficulty, I imagine. It's difficult for everyone who quits, but it is what has to be gone through to get sober.

How are you coping with drinking? Not well, it appears. When drinking isn't working, it's time to quit.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How did last night go SM?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thinking of you
Old 10-07-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you got through last night.

I think you will feel better about things, and your partner will too, if you take responsibility for your recovery.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My husband doesn't detest me either. He's blaming my latest screw up on the supplement 5-HTP. He's never mean or angry or anything. Sometimes a tad worried, I think. You can see my join date. We did the "30 days" with no problems. The thirtieth day was a Saturday and he was bored while BBQing. I said, Just go ahead have a glass of my (big) bottle of white wine.

He said, Yuck, and went to the store for a bottle of red, and proceeded to drink it all. My story is not as pointless as it seems, it just hurts to say: we want the best for ourselves and one another but it hurts to lose a drinking buddy. There have been times he's wanted to quit, times I have, but we can't seem to get on the same page at the same time.