Notices

My friend

Old 10-06-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rar

My friend

Hi All -

I thought I would share a bit about my friend and former colleague. She is a recovering alcoholic with 25+ years of sobriety. She is 67 years old.

Though we were colleagues and friends (now about 14 years) and had attended numerous business and social functions together, she didn't share her alcoholism with me until a year or so ago. Because I revealed my alcohol issues with her, she is opening a bit more about her past issues.

She was in strict inpatient rehab for 30 days and then a rehab home for another 30. She revealed that at the time she was seeing bugs on the wall, her arms, etc. There was a period of time when her 2 sons lived with there father. Though she didn't share this with me, presumably it was during her alcohol period.

I'm sharing this now because of her determination to recover and her success thereafter. I'm not sure, but I think she considered herself to have been at rock bottom.

Fast forward to today- she is still sober at 67 years old. Her two children and 4 grandchildren are in her life. Even though having only a high school education when college degrees were and are the norm, she retired as a senior vice president of my bank.

As I piece together what she has shared and accomplished from the rock bottom, I am more and more impressed.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very inspiring!!! Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Rar. Definitely inspirational and proof that this change can survive time.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Seeing others achieve sobriety gives us hope! Ultimately though our own sobriety can never be linked to another, both good or bad.

Did the pest man take care of the Stinging insects?????
Old 10-06-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Rar - like I never tire of saying, real lasting recovery really is possible

D
Old 10-06-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

Did the pest man take care of the Stinging insects?????

LOL. We think so. Had to be away this morning and found 7 wasps outside the laundry room. They were sluggish and apparently poisoned. Bug guy said to give it 24 hours. Hubby washed clothes and found a wasp in the machine. He laughed, I would have freaked with that dead wasp in with my clothes. Thanks for asking, Fly.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I had an issue with some red wasps down south.........nasty buggers!!!
Good report!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

right on!!

There are magnificent stories of recovery and the rewards and the goodness of sobriety all over the place.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love stories like this. Thanks, Rar.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that. I will be going back in to the job market soon, and I like to hear things like that. My best employees were one's who either didn't drink or drank rarely. The last few years were my best, and its because I kept my crap together most of the time. Had some slips, paid for them dearly, but being ready to rock on Monday morning gave me a leg up on most of my competition.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Rar, very inspiring!!