Notices

The elusive day 4

Old 10-05-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The elusive day 4

Just finished the elusive day 4 and on my way to sleep to wake up to day 5. I'm really committed this time. My young kids deserve better and I need to be a better Daddy. But the insomnia is dreadful. I have to be up in a few hours and sleep is no where in sight. I have to do it this time. The amount I drink is terrifying. I can not have just 1. It always starts with that first drink. And it NEVER stops after that first drink. Sooo I just have to not have that first one. That first one leads to amounts of vodka that I am truly surprised have not killed me. Downing pints of it in short time. Horrible next mornings. Etc. I've had it. But I can't sleep for the life of me today and thinking about it is making it worse.

Sorry for whining. I'm really just venting. Carry on. Nothing to see here. Good luck all. This is it for me.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your commitment, and sounds as though you're pretty dedicated. I know the insomnia sucks, but try not to let it get to you too much. It'll pass in time.

Do you have a recovery plan in place about how to go about rebuilding your new sober life, to help ensure you maintain sobriety? This sobriety thing is a tough battle, that's for sure. All the best!
Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Get a good nights sleep. See you in the morning !

Sometimes you just have to sleep sobriety off !

DD
(Think about it)
Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. I've pretty much shared with my close friends that I have "issues" with drinking and I intend on stopping. I've developed health concerns that they won't press too hard any more. It's more in my head than anything else about any type of "stigma" for not drinking. I'm pretty sure they are experiencing their own issues but it's almost like a standoff to see who will come out with it first. I chose to give in and say that I'm done.

I'm at my worst when I'm in a bar alone (not with my friends) and left to my own devices. Doesn't matter now though. I like not having to feel guilty or apologize or embarrassed about what I did the night before (if I can even remember most of it). I've had A LOT. Of day 1,2 and 3's. I have to keep this going. For me, my health, and of course my beautiful children.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 4, im on day 4 as well.

It's been rough but we can do this. I think you are a standup father for putting your children first. You are sacrificing your sleep, emotional stability, and your means of coping, and you are doing it all for them (and yourself as well). I say sacrificing because thats what it feels like, but in reality we are gaining something way better than these toxic substances can provide. We are regaining ourselves, something we probably truly haven't had for a while. This is hard stuff to do, I can barely get through the day sometimes.

This morning I had to force myself to eat something that's usually very appetizing to me, and while I was doing this my mouth was dry, my palms were sweaty, and my hands were shaking. Anxiety is no joke, it can overcome me at any moment right now. It has changed my daily routine and taken me two minor steps back, but that's all right because I believe when it all subsides I will be able to take two huge steps forward.

I want you to know that even if you can't function how you want or should be able to right now, that its ok because you own the bigger picture as long as you stay sober. You will look back on this and be proud that you did the right thing for your children.

Let's take day 5 and claim it as a triumph.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

HI Charlie - Day 5 is excellent. Your sleep will start to get better soon. You are healing every hour that goes by without alcohol.

This just popped into my mind. You might be sleeping more than you think you are. The reason I say this is that I have a Fitbit 1. In case you haven't heard of it, it is a fitness device like a pedometer which measures steps, calories burned, etc. My device also measures sleep if I set the button. Anyway, during the days when I thought I wasn't sleeping, I was. It did record that I was restless, but it also recorded that I was sleeping too, though I didn't think I was. Of course, I slept less, but I WAS sleeping. Hoping you get some sleep soon. Congrats on starting your Day 5.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep on going, don't think about yesterday or tomorrow, just stay clean today!
Old 10-06-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome job!! Stay focused you can do this.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It gets better. My 2nd week I accidently went without my anxiety meds and it wasn't great but I recall thinking shouldn't it be much worse? So drinking and hangovers does make it worse
Old 10-06-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your sleep improves soon Charlieinthebox

D
Old 10-06-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 5. Sober. Very tired but great that I'm not tired and feeling sick, ashamed, and embarrassed. Thanks all for your support. You guys are awesome. I'm doing it this time! It's going to be a lifetime. But I just need to get through today. A lifetime is too much to think about right now. Have a nice day everyone.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Charlie
As you've heard a hundred times sleep can take a couple of weeks to start to normalize. Sounds like a really long time but if you don't interupt it with drinking that should help. I take something called Somnapure (all natural but still make sure its ok for you to take ) and it works well.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 10-06-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic Charlie!! Keep pushing through!!